Kansas Law Admissions Dean Answers Your Questions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fats provolone

Re: Kansas Law Admissions Dean Answers Your Questions

Postby fats provolone » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:39 pm

fuck you dean! you have no power here! independent thought prevails!

(spends every waking moment optimizing chances at literal enslavement by biglaw partners)

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:45 pm

fats provolone wrote:fuck you dean! you have no power here! independent thought prevails!

(spends every waking moment optimizing chances at literal enslavement by biglaw partners)

I'm trying to imagine the RIGHTEOUS FURY that would result if the CLS admissions dean came on here. $320k debt for the privilege of (worse than) 60 hour weeks and a measly 96k after taxes???? YOU FIEND!!!!!!

oh wait that wouldn't happen. lol guys.

Skool

Postby Skool » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:57 pm

I think it's becoming more than a little absurd, this recent trend of old debt/wage slaves lecturing prospective debt/wage slaves in Marxist terms.

It's not as productive to the outside world as it seems while you're jerking each other off. Physicians, heal thyselves. Practically, What are you lot doing to better the profession and the country?

What meaningful stands are you taking in the real world, internet snark notwithstanding.
Last edited by Skool on Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:59 pm

i am an attorney. i am actively making the world a worse place every day. my job is basically to make the electronics you buy more expensive. you really think I'm telling people not to go because I'm trying to sound cool on an internet forum?

Skool

Postby Skool » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:15 pm

Ok, so what the fuck are you going to do differently to get a more fulfilling career? What are you going to do to organize with others who want to change the profession and likely make a corresponding change in the country's economic landscape generally.

I have no idea why you do what you do. Im annoyed by the condescension and presumption and the lack of real action and the mostly lacking self analysis.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:21 pm

I think the ham-handedness was a bad call and I enjoyed ratfukr's approach but I will say in non-defense of the dean that:

1. It was dumb to try and suggest that LST is misleading when he apparently is going to carry the "You can get NYC big law from KU" narrative to his grave. Like, yeah, duh, maybe it's possible but it almost certainly ain't gonna happen. Call it puffery if you want but he couldn't abandon his deanspeak to fully admit that it almost certainly ain't gonna happen, even when called out on it. He tried, but then he chickened out and deanspoke. Not good.
2. He dug himself into an even bigger turdular grave with the Birdnal's thing. It just makes him look like an even bigger sociopath and doesn't reflect well on his professionalism or the school in general, IMO. NAGL to do that on the Internet in a forum like this. Hopefully that was a teachable moment for him.

But yeah, I guess I wish TLS could be a bit more subtitle or reserved or something instead of coming in hot all the damn time (of course glass houses, stones, etc.)

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:23 pm

lol change the profession? parasites aren't the disease they're just a symptom. nothing's gonna change in my lifetime. I'm just waiting to die like everyone else

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:27 pm

1. tls runs off dean of admission bc he's not t14

2. fatty says great job guys, have fun at your shitty corporate job

3. obese water fowl stop complaining and change the world!!!

ok.

Skool

Postby Skool » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:30 pm

fats provolone wrote:lol change the profession? parasites aren't the disease they're just a symptom. nothing's gonna change in my lifetime. I'm just waiting to die like everyone else
Well, then it looks like most of your internet talk is mostly in vain. I would love to hear business lady analyze this. It's alienation of the worst kind: reification.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:33 pm

what internet talk are you referring to? I feel like you're confusing me with someone else so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be defending

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:44 pm

BigZuck wrote:I think the ham-handedness was a bad call and I enjoyed ratfukr's approach but I will say in non-defense of the dean that:

1. It was dumb to try and suggest that LST is misleading when he apparently is going to carry the "You can get NYC big law from KU" narrative to his grave. Like, yeah, duh, maybe it's possible but it almost certainly ain't gonna happen. Call it puffery if you want but he couldn't abandon his deanspeak to fully admit that it almost certainly ain't gonna happen, even when called out on it. He tried, but then he chickened out and deanspoke. Not good.
2. He dug himself into an even bigger turdular grave with the Birdnal's thing. It just makes him look like an even bigger sociopath and doesn't reflect well on his professionalism or the school in general, IMO. NAGL to do that on the Internet in a forum like this. Hopefully that was a teachable moment for him.

But yeah, I guess I wish TLS could be a bit more subtitle or reserved or something instead of coming in hot all the damn time (of course glass houses, stones, etc.)

Why is everyone so focused on out-of-state biglaw? It's like a paragraph in their marketing materials. Such a minor thing, especially considering I bet there are very few students who go to KU with a goal of nyc biglaw. Much fewer than those who go to t14 with the idea of something other than a corporate drone job. I bet in KU's brochure there's wayyy less emphasis on the few who get nyc biglaw than there is in T14's on comparably unicorny outcomes that way more people are actually dreaming of. Yet people aren't MAF at Harvard.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:45 pm

yea i suspect existential crises are way more common at T6 law schools than TTTs. LST should track those stats

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:47 pm

Ugh I was genuinely interested in my questions.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:56 pm

BigZuck wrote:But yeah, I guess I wish TLS could be a bit more subtitle or reserved or something instead of coming in hot all the damn time (of course glass houses, stones, etc.)

The same stuff is reiterated so much and I think people
Feel compelled to go along with it or else get flamed.
Last edited by starry eyed on Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:59 pm

have you guys never played chess before? only the first checkmate wins

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:05 pm

cotiger wrote:I bet there are very few students who go to KU with a goal of nyc biglaw.

Ehhhhhh...

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree (kinda)

I think the vast majority of people who go to law school don't know WTF they are doing or WTF it's about and just go because it's a respectable thing to do and they'll get a good, high paying job. Maybe they don't want that high paying job in NYC, maybe they want it in KC, but they want it and schools like this generally can't give it to them. But when you see crap like "it'll be tough but work hard and do well and our CSO can help you get a job in a top NYC firm!" that says "Hey, if I go there I can get a high paying job too!" I don't think it's unreasonable for the dean to get called on that BS and I don't think it's unreasonable for him to fully admit, "Yeah, you're right, that probably won't happen from KU no matter what you do." He almost did that but instead he couldn't help himself and he deanspoke. Again, NAGL

Maybe I'm not giving law school applicants in general enough credit though. I just don't think that anywhere close to a majority of KU applicants are going to that school looking for 40K small law/local government gigs. Not even close. Most of them probably don't know what big law is but what they want from law school is probably much more akin to big law than what they'll get from KU IMO.

LawBron James

Postby LawBron James » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:22 pm

BigZuck wrote:
cotiger wrote:I bet there are very few students who go to KU with a goal of nyc biglaw.

Ehhhhhh...

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree (kinda)

I think the vast majority of people who go to law school don't know WTF they are doing or WTF it's about and just go because it's a respectable thing to do and they'll get a good, high paying job. Maybe they don't want that high paying job in NYC, maybe they want it in KC, but they want it and schools like this generally can't give it to them. But when you see crap like "it'll be tough but work hard and do well and our CSO can help you get a job in a top NYC firm!" that says "Hey, if I go there I can get a high paying job too!" I don't think it's unreasonable for the dean to get called on that BS and I don't think it's unreasonable for him to fully admit, "Yeah, you're right, that probably won't happen from KU no matter what you do." He almost did that but instead he couldn't help himself and he deanspoke. Again, NAGL

Maybe I'm not giving law school applicants in general enough credit though. I just don't think that anywhere close to a majority of KU applicants are going to that school looking for 40K small law/local government gigs. Not even close. Most of them probably don't know what big law is but what they want from law school is probably much more akin to big law than what they'll get from KU IMO.

I think you're definitely on the right track here. As an undergrad at a large state school, it seems like most people who are considering law school have no idea what they want to do (or what their options even are out of law school), but in their head they'll be doing something similar to biglaw. That kind of talk probably only reinforces that skewed idea of what kind of job they can get from random TT/TTT law school.

Postby 03152016 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:46 pm

it's one thing to be critical of ku for not placing many people in bl
it's an entirely different thing to criticize a misleading post that the ku dean made on this forum about bl placement
i was amazed people found my post controversial and that some of you white knights itt couldn't distinguish the two (or maybe you were just having fun beating down straw men)
do you really think deans should be allowed to post whatever they want on tls without other posters being able to respond critically to it?

also, if i can interrupt the circlejerk over the departure of our lord and savior dean freedman
most of his posts on this forum are fluff, some of it is actively misleading
there wasn't anything he was going to post in this thread you couldn't just e-mail him about
i'm not saying there's zero value in him being here, but his value has been grossly overinflated

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:59 pm

Brut wrote:it's one thing to be critical of ku for not placing many people in bl
it's an entirely different thing to criticize a misleading post that the ku dean made on this forum about bl placement
i was amazed people found my post controversial and that some of you white knights itt couldn't distinguish the two (or maybe you were just having fun beating down straw men)
do you really think deans should be allowed to post whatever they want on tls without other posters being able to respond critically to it?

also, if i can interrupt the circlejerk over the departure of our lord and savior dean freedman
most of his posts on this forum are fluff, some of it is actively misleading
there wasn't anything he was going to post in this thread you couldn't just e-mail him about
i'm not saying there's zero value in him being here, but his value has been grossly overinflated

Complains about white knights.. is on a mission to expose the dean for his lies and save all those lifelong kansans with nyc biglaw dreams from ruin

Complains about straw men.. creates one two lines later

Postby 03152016 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:02 pm

if you're not too busy with the dean's balls in your mouth

"do you really think deans should be allowed to post whatever they want on tls without other posters being able to respond critically to it?"

respond substantively

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:05 pm

I'm not saying this guy was a super chill dude who was a shining beacon in the darkness of law school admissions.

But you guys ran him off with super aggro pedantry after like 5-6 substantive responses.

Yeah, he could have had thicker skin, but considering that a significant part of TLS is admissions advice, it would be a richer place if it had enough courtesy to encourage actual admissions officers to be a part of it.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:05 pm

Brut wrote:if you're not too busy with the dean's balls in your mouth

What is your deal, dude?

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:06 pm

"do you really think deans should be allowed to post whatever they want on tls without other posters being able to respond critically to it?"

respond substantively

yes

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:07 pm

Brut wrote:"do you really think deans should be allowed to post whatever they want on tls without other posters being able to respond critically to it?"

respond substantively

Duh. Of course. But hopefully people have the social awareness to understand how to modulate how they interact and question people in order to get the best responses from them.

WichitaShocker

Postby WichitaShocker » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:10 pm

respond substantively

I feel like you can't really have both of those things in the same post...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”