If you haven't applied to Illinois yet you're doing it wrong

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AReasonableMan

Re: If you haven't applied to Illinois yet you're doing it wrong

Postby AReasonableMan » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:45 am

It's faulty logic to say it's a good choice if you're willing to work in Illinois, because it does well in Illinois. This overlooks that most of those people are from Illinois to start with. But if you're from Illinois and don't want big law, the money difference probably makes it better than Chicago.

NYCFAN1

Postby NYCFAN1 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:21 am

AReasonableMan wrote:It's faulty logic to say it's a good choice if you're willing to work in Illinois, because it does well in Illinois. This overlooks that most of those people are from Illinois to start with. But if you're from Illinois and don't want big law, the money difference probably makes it better than Chicago.

Someone who gets into Chicago probably gets substantial money from NU or Cornell.

Illinois isn't bad if you can go for nearly free and are OK with small Illinois law, but I'm not sure why it's being compared to UChicago ITT. I'd be willing to be some of those "big law" jobs are doc review/contract attorney positions, too.

Wingtip88

Postby Wingtip88 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:15 am

If your long term career goals or the unconscionable amount of debt you plan on racking up can only be served by working in Biglaw, then UIUC is a poor choice.

foregetaboutdre

Postby foregetaboutdre » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:14 am

honestly this thread can be made about every decent state flagship with applicants who would have significant employment ties, get significant scholarships and aren't expecting nyc biglaw.

but to tell a person who wants to practice in CA to apply in IL because the illini offer great scholarships would be a disservice.

LurkerShirker

Postby LurkerShirker » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:05 am

Your statement about illinois' bar passage of 95 percent is way off. July 2014 first time takers passed at 85.22 percent -- below the state average of 85.38 percent. And below DePaul, Chicago-Kent and Southern Illinois.

bugsy33

Postby bugsy33 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:00 pm

LurkerShirker wrote:Your statement about illinois' bar passage of 95 percent is way off. July 2014 first time takers passed at 85.22 percent -- below the state average of 85.38 percent. And below DePaul, Chicago-Kent and Southern Illinois.

The 95% # is from the July 2013 sitting which was reported on the most recent ABA 509. Until I see official #s from the ABA I'm gunna go with that.

foregetaboutdre wrote:honestly this thread can be made about every decent state flagship with applicants who would have significant employment ties, get significant scholarships and aren't expecting nyc biglaw.

but to tell a person who wants to practice in CA to apply in IL because the illini offer great scholarships would be a disservice.

Not really. There are very few state flagships that have 30% biglaw/fedclerk.

At a bare minimum you can use the scholly $$$ for negotiation. We do have quite a few people go back to CA though.
Last edited by bugsy33 on Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:28 pm

Quantify "quite a few." And what kinds of jobs are they getting in CA?

Maybe using them as a scholarship negotiating chip is credited (I'm skeptical, but maybe). But the rest of this thread seems to be bad. The school's big law percentage isn't particularly meaningful for people who aren't from IL. And fun can be had almost anywhere.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:06 pm

BigZuck wrote:Quantify "quite a few." And what kinds of jobs are they getting in CA?

I imagine that the number of people going to Cali vary year-to-year depending largely on (1) how many students are from there and (2) are also getting good grades [assuming we're talking about CA biglaw]

UIUC doesn't reliably place "quite a few" into Chicago BigLaw so i have a hard time believing they reliably place quite a few into Cali biglaw. And this isn't necessarily a knock against UIUC either, the Chicago market is much smaller than NYC. There are less firms here with much smaller summer classes. The biggest class in Chicago is usually KE with 40-50 and there's a big drop-off after that. It's a very hard market to place a lot of people into. And looking at summer rosters it doesn't look like UIUC places more than 1-3 kids in any one Chicago firm in a given year...so unless there are secretly dozens of UIUC kids at the Vedder Price's of the city I think it's misleading to say UIUC has an extremely strong pipeline into Chicago

BigZuck wrote:Maybe using them as a scholarship negotiating chip is credited (I'm skeptical, but maybe). But the rest of this thread seems to be bad. The school's big law percentage isn't particularly meaningful for people who aren't from IL. And fun can be had almost anywhere.

I think UIUC can be a great choice if it's cheap, but i mean u can say that about a lot of schools.

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:50 pm

bugsy33 wrote:We do have quite a few people go back to CA though.

What an incredibly disingenuous statement.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:50 am

Retake.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:07 am

cron1834 wrote:Retake.

LurkerShirker

Postby LurkerShirker » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:21 am

Here is a link to the most recent Illinois bar results: