TTTT emails

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
A. Nony Mouse

Re: TTTT emails

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:53 pm

Seoulless wrote:
sublime wrote:
Seoulless wrote:My point is "I'm just doing my job" is not an excuse for asshole behavior and it's known as a the Eichmann defense. It applies to scamming students into attending bad law schools all the way up to genocide.

Keep that in mind when you enter practice.

You actually make a great point as the Eichmann excuse is a favorite amongst the most despicable of the legal practice: those losers who serve as *enthusiastic* defense attorneys for murderers and rapists.

"well, it's not a pretty job, but that's how it as and I am doing it to the best of my ability. Our system demands that someone do this job, and I am happy to be that spoke in the wheel."

Dude. That's so not what defense attorneys mean. And yes, the despicable people deserve a defense, too. No one says you have to want to do the job but it's the very foundation of our criminal justice system. No one - not even defense attorneys - is enthusiastic about putting creeps back on the street, they're enthusiastic about holding the government to its burden, even - or especially - when it's people that the average joe would be happy to stone to death, because that's when it matters most.

And seriously, defense attorneys doing their job isn't an Eichmann defense, unless you think the very concept of defense attorneys is wrong, in which case you're an idiot who doesn't understand our legal system.

Hand

Postby Hand » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:54 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:an idiot who doesn't understand our legal system

most plausible hypothesis

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:05 pm

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:10 pm

Seouless is gonna be perf at HLS.

foregetaboutdre

Postby foregetaboutdre » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:05 am

honestly as much as this goes against lst rhetoric and the TTT stigma, some of these students will end up racking dough after graduation/in their career. not a majority, but some. and for those going to the "TTTT" based off an e-mail isn't a terrible decision. i would never do it though...

Cal Trask

Postby Cal Trask » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:27 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Seoulless wrote:
sublime wrote:
Seoulless wrote:My point is "I'm just doing my job" is not an excuse for asshole behavior and it's known as a the Eichmann defense. It applies to scamming students into attending bad law schools all the way up to genocide.

Keep that in mind when you enter practice.

You actually make a great point as the Eichmann excuse is a favorite amongst the most despicable of the legal practice: those losers who serve as *enthusiastic* defense attorneys for murderers and rapists.

"well, it's not a pretty job, but that's how it as and I am doing it to the best of my ability. Our system demands that someone do this job, and I am happy to be that spoke in the wheel."

Dude. That's so not what defense attorneys mean. And yes, the despicable people deserve a defense, too. No one says you have to want to do the job but it's the very foundation of our criminal justice system. No one - not even defense attorneys - is enthusiastic about putting creeps back on the street, they're enthusiastic about holding the government to its burden, even - or especially - when it's people that the average joe would be happy to stone to death, because that's when it matters most.

And seriously, defense attorneys doing their job isn't an Eichmann defense, unless you think the very concept of defense attorneys is wrong, in which case you're an idiot who doesn't understand our legal system.

Nony can't you just nuke this goober already? Please?

eta: nevermind, saw this. My thanks to whoever was responsible.

Businesslady

Postby Businesslady » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:33 am

The Eichmann/Nuremburg "rhetoric" for white collar work in this society is a totally reasonable Godwin as it's invoked here mostly because Arendt on the banality of evil is excellent, not because casually comparing things to the Nazi regime is particularly incisive. Everyone should read Eichmann in Jerusalem over the holiday. I won't post warez links but I will say that the search query

Code: Select all

eichmann in jerusalem pdf

should probably do the trick if you don't have Prime or Kindle and $10 or whatever

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”