(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nawi226

Postby nawi226 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:49 pm

Last edited by nawi226 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Re: Diversity Statement as a White Male non-URM Question

Postby bjsesq » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:51 pm

You're not diverse; don't do one.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:02 pm

bjsesq wrote:You're not diverse; don't do one.

This.

Feel free to talk about your experiences in the personal statement, but I absolutely wouldn't write an optional diversity essay.

nawi226

Postby nawi226 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:04 pm

Thanks guys. So a diversity statement is more of a URM/LGBT-targeted addition?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:06 pm

nawi226 wrote:Thanks guys. So a diversity statement is more of a URM/LGBT-targeted addition?

Not necessarily, but "I studied abroad and did some awareness stuff" is not even in the ballpark.

lawschool1741

Postby lawschool1741 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:08 pm

bjsesq wrote:Not necessarily, but "I studied abroad and did some awareness stuff" is not even in the ballpark.

Seconded.

gatesome

Postby gatesome » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:24 pm

Disagree 100%. Everyone is diverse. Write about what makes you different and stand out. Doesn't need to include anything about race.

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:27 pm

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:29 pm

In one of the DS essays in the Personal Statements thread there is a list of things that work well as DS statements. I would try to find that if you can, it's a pretty good list.

Not that this applies to you - but for future reference for whoever may be reading this thread. I'll try to find it if I can

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:31 pm

gatesome wrote:

Disagree 100%. Everyone is diverse. Write about what makes you different and stand out. Doesn't need to include anything about race.

This week in special snowflakes conflating the traits that make them unique with traits admissions offices consider diverse. Thanks for your input.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:35 pm

gatesome wrote:

I work in admissions, and this is bad advice. Again, you can definitely include what makes you stand out in your personal statement, but writing an optional diversity essay about how you learned another language and studied abroad just makes you look like you have a total lack of perspective.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:41 pm

Dany wrote:
gatesome wrote:

I work in admissions, and this is bad advice. Again, you can definitely include what makes you stand out in your personal statement, but writing an optional diversity essay about how you learned another language and studied abroad just makes you look like you have a total lack of perspective.

Oh whatever. You just don't get my experiences and you fucking should

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:47 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:In one of the DS essays in the Personal Statements thread there is a list of things that work well as DS statements. I would try to find that if you can, it's a pretty good list.

Not that this applies to you - but for future reference for whoever may be reading this thread. I'll try to find it if I can

This is from another thread:

RZ5646 wrote:Complete list of white people who may submit diversity statements without it hurting them:
-- homosexuals, bisexuals, and transsexuals
-- those missing one or more limbs
-- those with other physical handicaps like blindness, deafness, paralysis, etc.
-- dwarves
-- recovering drug addicts (but it can't be something mundane like alcohol, cocaine, or tobacco... has to be heroin, meth, crack, etc.)
-- members of minority religions (but only if you can spin a story about how your faith made you oppressed in some way, and no, atheism doesn't count as a minority religion unless you were actually raised inside a cult or theocracy)
-- war refugees and other immigrants who can spin a good story
-- those with significant time spent living abroad (5+ years) - once again, this requires a good story about why it makes you special
-- survivors of well-known, usually fatal illnesses like cancer

Being low income or a first generation college student doesn't matter unless you were literally raised by illiterate hunter-gatherers in a cave.

I would add "a specialty occupation" to this list. At least that's what I wrote mine about.

nawi226

Postby nawi226 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:02 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Dany wrote:
gatesome wrote:

Oh whatever. You just don't get my experiences and you fucking should

There's no reason to be so abrasive and arrogant about the responses to this question. We're all just looking for things to add or remove from our applications to ensure that they are the best they can be. I asked the question because the instructions on my application said "can include but are not limited to xyz...," so I thought I'd ask here. The question has been answered, so please remain calm and have some eggnog.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:06 pm

how do you say "full of yourself" in Japanese?

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:33 am

The weeaboo boost is pretty significant

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:38 am

nawi226 wrote:There's no reason to be so abrasive and arrogant about the responses to this question. We're all just looking for things to add or remove from our applications to ensure that they are the best they can be. I asked the question because the instructions on my application said "can include but are not limited to xyz...," so I thought I'd ask here. The question has been answered, so please remain calm and have some eggnog.

Judging by his post history, that dude gave you what he knew to be bad info for whatever reason. You should be happy I'm an angry gorilla who throws shit at things that upset me.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”