Columbia Law Question about sending transcripts Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SoManyQuestions

New

Columbia Law Question about sending transcripts

Post by SoManyQuestions » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:41 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have a question. I applied to columbia in September and i had fairly competitive numbers 174 / 3.62 for their medians (171/3.71). That put me at 75th lsat and inbetween 25th and 50th for GPA. However, i am KJD and i did not so well this semester. Needless to say, my GPA dropped by .1 not with Fs but just by getting a lot of Bs. I left my harder classes for my last two semesters. My question is do law schools have to report the numbers i applied with or the ones i end with?

Also, i dont plan on sending transcript unless they ask me but if they do, whats going to happen? are they going to have to report my 3.52? Is this going to ruin my chances?

Please Help :/

cavalier2015

Bronze

Re: Columbia Law Question about sending transcripts

Post by cavalier2015 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:43 pm

0L applying this cycle so take this with a grain of salt.

you don't have to send in the new grades if you don't want to. however, columbia MAY ask for them if they need updated grades to evaluate your application and IF this is the case, then yes you will send it in. and at this point, i may hurt you if you were a borderline candidate.

but with that LSAT, i imagine it shouldn't be TOO much of an issue. all the top schools want lsat scores like yours to get their medians. they can easily fill their class with high gpas but can't with LSATs. so its in your favor.

good luck and hope your cycle goes well.

Hat.trick

Bronze

Post by Hat.trick » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:59 pm

I think i remember hearing that you can send your transcripts directly to the law school and not to LSAC so your LSAC Gpa, which they have to report, stays the same. However, I am not sure about this. Perhaps someone with more knowledge on this can chime in? In any case, your numbers are still competitive for Columbia

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:02 pm

You're in good shape. Columbia may want a final transcript with proof of graduation, but should only report your LSDAS GPA to USNews.

SoManyQuestions

New

Post by SoManyQuestions » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:12 pm

Whew! Thanks for calming me down. SO my grades wont have an effect on me if they ask and i send? It'll just be like having a crappy soft or something?

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:17 pm

SoManyQuestions wrote:Whew! Thanks for calming me down. SO my grades wont have an effect on me if they ask and i send? It'll just be like having a crappy soft or something?
I don't think they would ask for them if they didn't care at all. While it may not directly affect their numbers, this is the kind of thing that I imagine could be a deciding factor between two otherwise identical candidates. No way to know this for sure, so don't panic, but I don't think they would go through the trouble of asking people and collecting that information if they didn't care at all. And FWIW, I had pretty much identical numbers to you and they asked me for my fall senior year transcript. Might not happen to you though. Best of luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”