GULC optional essays?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cavalier2015

GULC optional essays?

Postby cavalier2015 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:01 pm

for a student who is below their medians (very slightly below 25th GPA and maybe at, slightly below/above their 50/75th LSAT (waiting on december score)), how necessary is it do the optional essays? Moreover, my personal statement in itself addresses the first question regarding what have you learned lesson. thoughts/opinions would be appreciated?

dabigchina

Re: GULC optional essays?

Postby dabigchina » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:02 pm

I was above 75 lsat and below 25 gpa and I did fine without one.

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:40 pm

I'm >> 75th LSAT, wrote an essay, did an alum interview, and am still waiting on a response almost two weeks after the latter

extrapolating from these two data points I'd recommend not writing it, as apparently GULC wants you to play hard to get

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:43 pm

hereisonehand wrote:I'm >> 75th LSAT, wrote an essay, did an alum interview, and am still waiting on a response almost two weeks after the latter

extrapolating from these two data points I'd recommend not writing it, as apparently GULC wants you to play hard to get

Sounds like you got YP'ed. My GPA is pretty low.

ETA: too many dog avatars ITT.

cavalier2015

Postby cavalier2015 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:07 pm

yeah the thing I already pretty much address the lesson you've learned in my PS so idk how useful it will be.

also, what kinds of things do people do with the essay prompt regarding putting whatever you want in the box? thats a weird one..

hillz

Postby hillz » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:13 pm

>75th LSAT & GPA, I submitted an optional essay and got in w/o interview. Seems like everyone has had different experiences, but since it doesn't take that long to write, I recommend doing it just in case. I didn't do the fill in the blank, but I know a few people did and really had fun with it/showed off their creative side.

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:35 pm

Another data point:

>>75th LSAT and 25-50th GPA

In and no interview request

I did the fill in the box with a cheesy Why GULC picture thing - I don't know if that's what got me in but it probably helped me bypass the interview

enteringthemaze

Postby enteringthemaze » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:38 pm

Didn't do it. GPA bellow median and LSAT at median. I felt like I didn't have anything compelling to share that I had not discussed in my PS. If you have something to write about, write it, if not don't worry about it.

cavalier2015

Postby cavalier2015 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:06 pm

how would i submit a "why GULC" essay? would it fit in any of the topics or should i include it as an addendum (would this look weird because its like an optional essay but not a prompt given by them).

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:32 am

cavalier2015 wrote:how would i submit a "why GULC" essay? would it fit in any of the topics or should i include it as an addendum (would this look weird because its like an optional essay but not a prompt given by them).

It might look a little weird because it's not anything they asked for and because it seems like they would rather you do one of their prompts.

There are other ways to do a "why GULC" though:

1) Video - you could say it there
2) Fill in the box - you could tiny print it in this box (lol :P) since it's allowed to be anything or show it pictorially
3) One less you have learned - you could incorporate a "why GULC" in here while still answering the question

etc. etc.

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:37 am

Oh I did fill in the box with a graphic for why GULC, and my note from Andy said "loved what you did to fill-up the box." I do work at a web design firm at the moment though, and my graphic design skills don't suck.

Can't say if it helped me at all, but it obviously didn't hurt. PM me if you want to see it, I guess.

cavalier2015

Postby cavalier2015 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:36 am

smccgrey wrote:Oh I did fill in the box with a graphic for why GULC, and my note from Andy said "loved what you did to fill-up the box." I do work at a web design firm at the moment though, and my graphic design skills don't suck.

Can't say if it helped me at all, but it obviously didn't hurt. PM me if you want to see it, I guess.

I decided to do the first essay question about lesson learned. But I saw your post and was just really curious what your graphic was. Would you mind pm it?

mindthegap

Postby mindthegap » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:51 pm

I'll chime in. I'm in the 25th range for LSAT and GPA and I didn't write any of the additional essays; I did, however, submit an addendum about my background and was admitted on December 8 without a request for an interview or anything like that. My decision not to write the additional essay boiled down to the fact that I felt it was pointless to submit a redundant or unhelpful essay and figured what I'd presented in my PS already answered many of the optional questions. Considering my stats, I probably should've written the extra essay to be safe but I think it's true that they don't hold it against you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”