Extending Undergrad

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gaflaher

Extending Undergrad

Postby gaflaher » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:21 pm

I'm currently in my fourth year at Ole Miss, completing three majors and two degrees. I've always had a GPA above a 3.9 until this semester, when some pretty serious personal circumstances forced me to withdraw from a study abroad course and enroll in classes several weeks late. Several Bs from the semester have dropped my GPA to a lower level than I'd like coming from a state school. My goal is to teach at a law school, so I'd like to pursue an MPhil in Political Theory at Oxford before shooting for HYS. When I apply to law school, I'll have to attach a C&F addendum. I know I can bring my GPA back up, but I don't know how far it will rise before I apply my fifth year. Assuming a killer LSAT score, what does my GPA need to be to have a shot, given that I have to overcome the C&F thing? Should I just stay in undergrad until my GPA is very high again, even if that means applying as a sixth year? As I said, my hope is to be admitted to the MPhil program first, so any advice on that front would be appreciated as well. I'm applying to law school and the grad program concurrently just in case. I think the question would be important anyway since my undergrad grades will carry so much weight even if I do go abroad first. Thoughts?

BigZuck

Re: Extending Undergrad

Postby BigZuck » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:30 pm

gaflaher wrote:I'm currently in my fourth year at Ole Miss, completing three majors and two degrees. I've always had a GPA above a 3.9 until this semester, when some pretty serious personal circumstances forced me to withdraw from a study abroad course and enroll in classes several weeks late. Several Bs from the semester have dropped my GPA to a lower level than I'd like coming from a state school. My goal is to teach at a law school, so I'd like to pursue an MPhil in Political Theory at Oxford before shooting for HYS. When I apply to law school, I'll have to attach a C&F addendum. I know I can bring my GPA back up, but I don't know how far it will rise before I apply my fifth year. Assuming a killer LSAT score, what does my GPA need to be to have a shot, given that I have to overcome the C&F thing? Should I just stay in undergrad until my GPA is very high again, even if that means applying as a sixth year? As I said, my hope is to be admitted to the MPhil program first, so any advice on that front would be appreciated as well. I'm applying to law school and the grad program concurrently just in case. I think the question would be important anyway since my undergrad grades will carry so much weight even if I do go abroad first. Thoughts?

Just get as high an LSAT and GPA as possible. Hopefully whatever the C&F issue is doesn't kill your chances. I wouldn't pursue the grad degree if you're thinking of doing that just to help you get a law professor job, those like basically don't exist. You've also never been to law school, so I'm not sure why you know you want to teach it but I guess that's neither here nor there. Still, figure out a more realistic backup before attending, IMO.

gaflaher

Postby gaflaher » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:40 pm

Well, I work as a research assistant in law and economics for one of the professors at the law school here. I've also participated in a program between the law school and our honors college that allows undergraduates to take law school courses. So, I have an idea of both what the law school experience is like and what legal research is like. I really enjoy both, and think it's where I want to spend my career. I've also really enjoyed doing some research in political philosophy and jurisprudence with the philosophy department, and would enjoy research in the field as a professor. The idea behind the graduate degree wasn't to maximize my chances of obtaining a position; it was to help build the skill set I would need to do the research I'd be interested in as a professor. I don't know if this will help anyone provide guidance.
Last edited by gaflaher on Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:44 pm

Funnily enough I went to ole miss as well and did a 5th year and multiple degrees/majors.

In hindsight I wish I had focused more on work experience/internships and less on taking a ton of courses. In your position you need a killer LSAT either way. I wouldn't spend an extra year in school. I would get a job and save some cash while LSAT prepping.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:11 pm

I don't think extending undergrad is a bad idea, but you're coming at it with the wrong mindset.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”