Should I retake?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hearsay77

Should I retake?

Postby hearsay77 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:57 pm

I got a 168 on the Sept 2014 test and have a 3.5. I applied to the bottom half of the T14, and almost everything from 15-25, been accepted to WUSTL, W&M (75% scholarship) and UCLA so far. I was deferred at Georgetown yesterday, which is one of my top choices so I'm pretty upset about that. I'm thinking about retaking in Feb after getting the email from Georgetown yesterday because I really want to do anything I can to improve my chances, and because it makes me think I'll probably have similar results and/or be waitlisted at the rest of the T14.

Before the Sept test I studied from end of June until end of Sept, took a blueprint class, and my PTs leading up to the test were around 167-171. I'm not sure if I can improve enough by the Feb test since I scored within my range and knew I probably wouldn't get at the top of my range on test day, which is why I'm very hesitant. Is it worth spending the next two months studying? I work full time and don't have room to take any time off, so I can only study nights/weekends. Will just one more point (if thats all I can improve) help me significantly enough?

Any and all advice is appreciated!
Last edited by hearsay77 on Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Re: Should I retake?

Postby BigZuck » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:01 pm

Yeah sure, nothing to lose. Go for it

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:07 pm

Yeah. Worst case scenario nothing changes. Go up two points, expect more $

monsterman

Postby monsterman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:09 pm

Didn't read to see what you got. But I'm going to revise the old adage of if you have to ask, you can't afford it, to a TLS version of if you have to ask, then YES, RETAKE.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:10 pm

One point would help significantly. Whether it's worth waiting a year is up to you. It may be smart to apply now, and if you aren't happy with your options then retake in June to get off waitlists. You might wind up in a great position somewhere if the cycle plays out such that a school needs you for their LSAT median.

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:18 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:One point would help significantly. Whether it's worth waiting a year is up to you. It may be smart to apply now, and if you aren't happy with your options then retake in June to get off waitlists. You might wind up in a great position somewhere if the cycle plays out such that a school needs you for their LSAT median.

I already applied, this would just be a supplement to my applications and to help me get off waitlists.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:30 pm

hearsay77 wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:One point would help significantly. Whether it's worth waiting a year is up to you. It may be smart to apply now, and if you aren't happy with your options then retake in June to get off waitlists. You might wind up in a great position somewhere if the cycle plays out such that a school needs you for their LSAT median.

I already applied, this would just be a supplement to my applications and to help me get off waitlists.

Yeah. I meant that you might not hear back before the deadline for the Feb test which kinda sucks. If there's a school you're really interested in that takes a while to hear back from it prob can't hurt to call and ask if a point or two would get you in.

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:51 pm

hearsay77 wrote:

I'm in a pretty staggeringly similar situation to you, and I'm retaking in Feb for the reasons above. There's just really no reason to justify not retaking if you're serious about going to law school

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:50 pm

Big Red wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:

I'm in a pretty staggeringly similar situation to you, and I'm retaking in Feb for the reasons above. There's just really no reason to justify not retaking if you're serious about going to law school

I think I'm going to do it, thanks everyone for the advice! Another question: any suggestions for study methods given that the test is in only 7.5 weeks, I haven't started studying for my retake, and I'm shooting for 170+? I have the blueprint books, but wondering what else I should get to supplement them.

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:56 pm

I would start here

and use the rest of that forum as a resource

hillz

Postby hillz » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:57 pm

hearsay77 wrote:
Big Red wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:

I think I'm going to do it, thanks everyone for the advice! Another question: any suggestions for study methods given that the test is in only 7.5 weeks, I haven't started studying for my retake, and I'm shooting for 170+? I have the blueprint books, but wondering what else I should get to supplement them.

7.5 weeks is enough time because you built a base from the first time you took. Noodley One's Retaker's Guide helped me a lot when I was developing a study schedule: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=195603

I recommend Cambridge drilling packets. It sounds like you already have some strategies on how to answer questions; you just need to continue to develop them and practice.

mieko

Postby mieko » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:12 pm

I am in a similar position and will likely retake in February. What is the protocol for telling schools (both those you have been accepted to and those you are still waiting to hear from) that you are planning on retaking?

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:04 pm

LSAC will update them. You can email/call if you want.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”