International travel from february to may - dumb idea? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
john2018

New

International travel from february to may - dumb idea?

Post by john2018 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:46 am

All my applications will be submitted within a couple weeks. I have the opportunity to travel internationally for a few months coming up between February and May. I will have access to email/internet, but most likely not phone calls . . .

In regards to scholarship negotiations (and anything else that you would consider important in this stage of the process), will I have any problem? Will it be a problem if I can only contact schools via email, and not pick up the phone to call them? Or will email-only be ok? I'm applying to schools in the top 25.

I've been looking forward to this travel for a long time and won't get another opportunity like it. Thanks for the advice.

Sheriff

Bronze

Re: International travel from february to may - dumb idea?

Post by Sheriff » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:58 am

john2018 wrote:All my applications will be submitted within a couple weeks. I have the opportunity to travel internationally for a few months coming up between February and May. I will have access to email/internet, but most likely not phone calls . . .

In regards to scholarship negotiations (and anything else that you would consider important in this stage of the process), will I have any problem? Will it be a problem if I can only contact schools via email, and not pick up the phone to call them? Or will email-only be ok? I'm applying to schools in the top 25.

I've been looking forward to this travel for a long time and won't get another opportunity like it. Thanks for the advice.
It's a great idea. Wish I had done the same but I stuck behind for fear of what you mentioned above. I couldn't have been more wrong. Practically everything is done via email. I'd just recommend you have someone check your physical mailbox from time to time.

My only suggestion would be to not come back until August. Enjoy, and safe travels.

B.B. Homemaker

Gold

Post by B.B. Homemaker » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:59 am

Travel. You hardly ever, if ever at all, need to actually call a school, and if you can tell them via e-mail why that isn't possible, you'll be all set.

altf4

Bronze

Post by altf4 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:00 am

If nothing else, get skype and charge some money on your account. You can call them easily via a PC that way. And if you absolutely want a number you can be contacted by, you might be able to get skype forwarding or a skype number depending on where your travels take you.

pylon

Silver

Post by pylon » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:45 am

altf4 wrote:If nothing else, get skype and charge some money on your account. You can call them easily via a PC that way. And if you absolutely want a number you can be contacted by, you might be able to get skype forwarding or a skype number depending on where your travels take you.
If you're really concerned, this is a good solution and if it helps ease your mind, go for it! However I don't think it's necessary - enjoy!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:58 am

john2018 wrote:All my applications will be submitted within a couple weeks. I have the opportunity to travel internationally for a few months coming up between February and May. I will have access to email/internet, but most likely not phone calls . . .

Definitely travel, you'll be able to keep in touch as much as you need to. I'm all about doing as much travel/other fun stuff as possible prior to starting "real life" as an attorney, because the time available to do that shit will be at a serious premium once you start.

Anecdote: I was almost certainly getting YPed by UVA, and e-mailed them prior to traveling to both let them know e-mail would be the best way to reach me in the upcoming month, and that I was anxiously awaiting news from them. A week later in Mexico City, got an e-mail admitting me with a full ride.

Just travel, everything else will sort itself out. The benefit of travel > the probability that it will harm your scholly chances * the harm. Trust me.

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:21 am

pylon wrote:
altf4 wrote:If nothing else, get skype and charge some money on your account. You can call them easily via a PC that way. And if you absolutely want a number you can be contacted by, you might be able to get skype forwarding or a skype number depending on where your travels take you.
If you're really concerned, this is a good solution and if it helps ease your mind, go for it! However I don't think it's necessary - enjoy!
You also can use Google Voice to check your voicemail for free and then call people back also for free (assuming it's a US number). You can't set up call forwarding to a non-US number, but considering it's completely free I think it's worth it. I've been doing this for the past 5 months and haven't missed anything important.

john2018

New

Post by john2018 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:40 pm

Last edited by john2018 on Sun May 08, 2016 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:34 am

I applied to law schools while abroad and it was no problem other than waking up each morning with my heart racing as I checked my email because of the time zone difference. Enjoy your travels!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pylon

Silver

Post by pylon » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:53 am

cookiejar1 wrote:I applied to law schools while abroad and it was no problem other than waking up each morning with my heart racing as I checked my email because of the time zone difference. Enjoy your travels!
This is what I'm going through right now. Every morning is a roller coaster.

altf4

Bronze

Post by altf4 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:26 am

cookiejar1 wrote:I applied to law schools while abroad and it was no problem other than waking up each morning with my heart racing as I checked my email because of the time zone difference. Enjoy your travels!

I reach for my phone every morning as soon as I wake up to check for e-mails as well. International applicant here so I get this perk automatically 8)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”