International travel from february to may - dumb idea?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
john2018
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:16 pm

International travel from february to may - dumb idea?

Postby john2018 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:46 am

All my applications will be submitted within a couple weeks. I have the opportunity to travel internationally for a few months coming up between February and May. I will have access to email/internet, but most likely not phone calls . . .

In regards to scholarship negotiations (and anything else that you would consider important in this stage of the process), will I have any problem? Will it be a problem if I can only contact schools via email, and not pick up the phone to call them? Or will email-only be ok? I'm applying to schools in the top 25.

I've been looking forward to this travel for a long time and won't get another opportunity like it. Thanks for the advice.

User avatar
Sheriff
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:06 pm

Re: International travel from february to may - dumb idea?

Postby Sheriff » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:58 am

john2018 wrote:All my applications will be submitted within a couple weeks. I have the opportunity to travel internationally for a few months coming up between February and May. I will have access to email/internet, but most likely not phone calls . . .

In regards to scholarship negotiations (and anything else that you would consider important in this stage of the process), will I have any problem? Will it be a problem if I can only contact schools via email, and not pick up the phone to call them? Or will email-only be ok? I'm applying to schools in the top 25.

I've been looking forward to this travel for a long time and won't get another opportunity like it. Thanks for the advice.


It's a great idea. Wish I had done the same but I stuck behind for fear of what you mentioned above. I couldn't have been more wrong. Practically everything is done via email. I'd just recommend you have someone check your physical mailbox from time to time.

My only suggestion would be to not come back until August. Enjoy, and safe travels.

User avatar
B.B. Homemaker
Posts: 3452
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:00 pm

Re: International travel from february to may - dumb idea?

Postby B.B. Homemaker » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:59 am

Travel. You hardly ever, if ever at all, need to actually call a school, and if you can tell them via e-mail why that isn't possible, you'll be all set.

User avatar
altf4
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:17 am

Re: International travel from february to may - dumb idea?

Postby altf4 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:00 am

If nothing else, get skype and charge some money on your account. You can call them easily via a PC that way. And if you absolutely want a number you can be contacted by, you might be able to get skype forwarding or a skype number depending on where your travels take you.

User avatar
pylon
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:58 pm

Re: International travel from february to may - dumb idea?

Postby pylon » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:45 am

altf4 wrote:If nothing else, get skype and charge some money on your account. You can call them easily via a PC that way. And if you absolutely want a number you can be contacted by, you might be able to get skype forwarding or a skype number depending on where your travels take you.

If you're really concerned, this is a good solution and if it helps ease your mind, go for it! However I don't think it's necessary - enjoy!

User avatar
elterrible78
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

Re: International travel from february to may - dumb idea?

Postby elterrible78 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:58 am

john2018 wrote:All my applications will be submitted within a couple weeks. I have the opportunity to travel internationally for a few months coming up between February and May. I will have access to email/internet, but most likely not phone calls . . .

In regards to scholarship negotiations (and anything else that you would consider important in this stage of the process), will I have any problem? Will it be a problem if I can only contact schools via email, and not pick up the phone to call them? Or will email-only be ok? I'm applying to schools in the top 25.

I've been looking forward to this travel for a long time and won't get another opportunity like it. Thanks for the advice.


Definitely travel, you'll be able to keep in touch as much as you need to. I'm all about doing as much travel/other fun stuff as possible prior to starting "real life" as an attorney, because the time available to do that shit will be at a serious premium once you start.

Anecdote: I was almost certainly getting YPed by UVA, and e-mailed them prior to traveling to both let them know e-mail would be the best way to reach me in the upcoming month, and that I was anxiously awaiting news from them. A week later in Mexico City, got an e-mail admitting me with a full ride.

Just travel, everything else will sort itself out. The benefit of travel > the probability that it will harm your scholly chances * the harm. Trust me.

User avatar
Kikero
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:28 am

Re: International travel from february to may - dumb idea?

Postby Kikero » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:21 am

pylon wrote:
altf4 wrote:If nothing else, get skype and charge some money on your account. You can call them easily via a PC that way. And if you absolutely want a number you can be contacted by, you might be able to get skype forwarding or a skype number depending on where your travels take you.

If you're really concerned, this is a good solution and if it helps ease your mind, go for it! However I don't think it's necessary - enjoy!


You also can use Google Voice to check your voicemail for free and then call people back also for free (assuming it's a US number). You can't set up call forwarding to a non-US number, but considering it's completely free I think it's worth it. I've been doing this for the past 5 months and haven't missed anything important.

john2018
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:16 pm

Re: International travel from february to may - dumb idea?

Postby john2018 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:40 pm

.
Last edited by john2018 on Sun May 08, 2016 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cookiejar1
Posts: 834
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:07 am

Re: International travel from february to may - dumb idea?

Postby cookiejar1 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:34 am

I applied to law schools while abroad and it was no problem other than waking up each morning with my heart racing as I checked my email because of the time zone difference. Enjoy your travels!

User avatar
pylon
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:58 pm

Re: International travel from february to may - dumb idea?

Postby pylon » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:53 am

cookiejar1 wrote:I applied to law schools while abroad and it was no problem other than waking up each morning with my heart racing as I checked my email because of the time zone difference. Enjoy your travels!

This is what I'm going through right now. Every morning is a roller coaster.

User avatar
altf4
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:17 am

Re: International travel from february to may - dumb idea?

Postby altf4 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:26 am

cookiejar1 wrote:I applied to law schools while abroad and it was no problem other than waking up each morning with my heart racing as I checked my email because of the time zone difference. Enjoy your travels!



I reach for my phone every morning as soon as I wake up to check for e-mails as well. International applicant here so I get this perk automatically 8)




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 6 guests