Importance of professor's status

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
blake707

Importance of professor's status

Postby blake707 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:32 pm

I need some input one which one of these professors I should get to write my last letter of recommendation:

Professor A: PHD from MIT and a very impressive resume. Knows me fairly well, but I did not do too well in his class. It will be a few weeks before he is able to get it to me.

Professor B: New professor, not much on his resume. Knows me well and I excelled in his class. He can have the LOR completed in a few days.

I'm not looking to go to a top 50 law school. I will be in the top 25 percentile in LSAT and GPA of the schools I am applying to so I don't think acceptance will be an issue, more worried about scholarship. Does it matter which one of these professors wrights my rec? Will it play a role in scholarship money at all?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

antiworldly

Re: Importance of professor's status

Postby antiworldly » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:41 pm

Imagine you're on the admissions committee. How many LOR do you have to read through? You're not going to do a background check on them, you'll see "Prof. of Something and So-and-so University". What I've heard is the strength of what they write is always more important than the pedigree of the Prof. The only time the pedigree will even have an effect is if the Prof. is so exceptional on a national/international level to have widespread name recognition (i.e. won a nobel prize).

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Importance of professor's status

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:50 pm

Duplicate thread.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”