question regarding sending in updated grades?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cavalier2015

question regarding sending in updated grades?

Postby cavalier2015 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:23 pm

whats the general rule regarding if we should submit updated grades reflecting fall 2014 grades? i've read if its more than a .05 difference in the cumulative then do it. is that right?

Rigo

Re: question regarding sending in updated grades?

Postby Rigo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:35 pm

I would do it if my GPA went up at all.

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:38 pm

Dirigo wrote:I would do it if my GPA went up at all.

should I also send updated transcripts to LSAC? My overall should go from 2.89 to 3.0 or 3.02

I had planned on sending a short note to my schools with the GPA and certification of Spring 2015 induction into both my major's honor society and women's studies honor society.

pylon

Postby pylon » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:59 am

RCSOB657 wrote:

should I also send updated transcripts to LSAC? My overall should go from 2.89 to 3.0 or 3.02

I had planned on sending a short note to my schools with the GPA and certification of Spring 2015 induction into both my major's honor society and women's studies honor society.

Yeah, I would send them to LSAC as well so that they process/update your Academic Summary Report. Congrats on the 3.0+!

try.honesty

Postby try.honesty » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:02 pm

pylon wrote:
RCSOB657 wrote:

Yeah, I would send them to LSAC as well so that they process/update your Academic Summary Report. Congrats on the 3.0+!

If we send our updated transcript to LSAC, do we then have to request for an updated report to be sent to schools we applied to this cycle? Is sending the updated report from LSAC sufficient?

Thanks!

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:21 pm

try.honesty wrote:If we send our updated transcript to LSAC, do we then have to request for an updated report to be sent to schools we applied to this cycle? Is sending the updated report from LSAC sufficient?

No. Schools can pull the report if they really want it. Letting schools know via email is sufficient.

try.honesty

Postby try.honesty » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:36 pm

Dirigo wrote:
try.honesty wrote:If we send our updated transcript to LSAC, do we then have to request for an updated report to be sent to schools we applied to this cycle? Is sending the updated report from LSAC sufficient?

No. Schools can pull the report if they really want it. Letting schools know via email is sufficient.

Oh okay! So if I want them to see the transcript, do I send it to each school? Or is it better just to email them and say it's at LSAC/my GPA changed X amount?

Sorry for all the questions... Thanks for the help!

SPerez

Postby SPerez » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:50 pm

I would just send it to LSAC. Most schools now are paperless so the updated report should be downloaded to their database automatically within 24 hours (although that could vary slightly depending on each schools' preferences, e.g. we can tell LSAC not to send us a report until it has an LSAT, all transcripts, and at least X LORs and only send us updates on a certain schedule not all the time).

That will also make any report they run automatically have the updated GPA in it. It doesn't hurt anything to give the admissions office a heads up that it has changed, but the odds that they will care are pretty slim. Both because the difference is almost certainly small and you would also just so happen to be coming up for review in that window of time, which is statistically unlikely. Outside some very special circumstance I can't think of at the moment, a law school won't usually take any action with a random transcript sent directly to them and will just wait for the LSAC version.

Dean Perez
Texas Tech Law

try.honesty

Postby try.honesty » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:07 pm

SPerez wrote:I would just send it to LSAC. Most schools now are paperless so the updated report should be downloaded to their database automatically within 24 hours (although that could vary slightly depending on each schools' preferences, e.g. we can tell LSAC not to send us a report until it has an LSAT, all transcripts, and at least X LORs and only send us updates on a certain schedule not all the time).

That will also make any report they run automatically have the updated GPA in it. It doesn't hurt anything to give the admissions office a heads up that it has changed, but the odds that they will care are pretty slim. Both because the difference is almost certainly small and you would also just so happen to be coming up for review in that window of time, which is statistically unlikely. Outside some very special circumstance I can't think of at the moment, a law school won't usually take any action with a random transcript sent directly to them and will just wait for the LSAC version.

Dean Perez
Texas Tech Law

Thank you so much Dean Perez! This was really helpful.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”