GPA and transfer credits

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jstascak

GPA and transfer credits

Postby jstascak » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:01 pm

I was wondering which GPA I should use when applying for law school...

I recently graduated after transferring from a different university a few years ago, but the GPA listed on my unofficial transcript doesn't include any grades from credits that had transferred from my original school. Should my application show the GPA listed on my unofficial transcript, or should I calculate it to include transfer credits?

Since I'm not sure what my official transcript will show for my GPA, I'm worried that putting down a GPA that's different than the one on my unofficial transcript might look bad on an application.

Rigo

Re: GPA and transfer credits

Postby Rigo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:16 pm

Umm LSAC calculates your cumulative LSDAS GPA which is what schools base their admissions decisions on (in conjunction with the LSAT). Your LSDAS GPA will include the transfer credits and any college course taken up until your first Bachelor's degree was granted. This will even include those college credits you took in high school.

Send all your transcripts (from every college you've ever attended) to LSAC and they will calculate your GPA for you. You don't get to decide what your GPA is.

jstascak

Postby jstascak » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:32 pm

Yeah, I know I don't get to decide my own GPA (I probably could have worded my question a little better lol). The application I'm working on right now asks ME for my GPA and I wasn't sure exactly what to put down. I didn't know LSAC calculates it for you though, so I'll have to send them my transcripts ASAP.

Thanks for you help.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:37 pm

Oh sorry if I misunderstood your question.
I put my individual GPA's under the two colleges I listed--the GPA I had when I transferred for the first college & the GPA I had when I graduated for the second college.
Those two GPA's and my LSDAS GPA are all different from each other.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”