Sending music to law schools? Idiot or innovator??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Sending Music?

Dumb
93%
Brilliant
7%

Total votes: 41

moek

Sending music to law schools? Idiot or innovator??

Postby moek » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:19 pm

Applying to all t-20 schools. 3.9 167.

I play saxophone as part of a band and was wondering what you guys thought of me sending a clip of my music to the schools that I am applying to.

I am not an incredible player by any means, but making music is a tremendous part of who i am. It is a powerful tool for self expression and I feel like it demonstrates who I am in a way that words cannot.

I also have written and acted in a web series and was considering sending a clip of that over as well...

Dumb or brilliant?

I know I could use a little something to differentiate me to have a shot at the top top schools anyways

BigZuck

Re: Sending music to law schools? Idiot or innovator??

Postby BigZuck » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:22 pm

moek wrote:Applying to all t-20 schools. 3.9 167.

I play saxophone as part of a band and was wondering what you guys thought of me sending a clip of my music to the schools that I am applying to.

I am not an incredible player by any means, but making music is a tremendous part of who i am. It is a powerful tool for self expression and I feel like it demonstrates who I am in a way that words cannot.

I also have written and acted in a web series and was considering sending a clip of that over as well...

Dumb or brilliant?

I know I could use a little something to differentiate me to have a shot at the top top schools anyways

Differentiate yourself with a better lsat score.

Retake

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:23 pm

So very dumb. Trust me, you are far from an innovator and people have thought of doing this/done it for years. I worked in undergraduate admissions briefly, and they just toss these things straight to the trash. Law schools will do the same

Write about your passion for saxophone in your personal statment.

hillz

Postby hillz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:34 pm

Yeah, I would write about this in a PS or put it under your interests on your resume/relevant app sections.

Postby 03152016 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:35 pm

you shouldn't do any of that

i don't work in admissions, but honestly if someone sent me an unsolicited video of themselves playing sax and acting in a web series it would make me question their judgment

also, pm a mod and ask if you can change your handle

Poopface

Postby Poopface » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:38 pm

Dumb or brilliant?

Worked for Elle Woods at harvard with her admissions video biopic thing

Postby 03152016 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:39 pm

or maybe it was the 179

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:40 pm

The only place this would make sense for sending in would be part of Georgetown's one minute video.

bluchai

Postby bluchai » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:12 pm

Brut wrote:you shouldn't do any of that

i don't work in admissions, but honestly if someone sent me an unsolicited video of themselves playing sax and acting in a web series it would make me question their judgment

also, pm a mod and ask if you can change your handle

I know this is undergrad., but there's a video of a Harvard adcom talking about the time an applicant sent them a taxidermed squirrel as proof that he was a "brilliant taxidermist." The squirrel ended up getting destroyed in the mail. I feel bad for the people who opened it.

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:17 pm

Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

pylon

Postby pylon » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:18 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:Write about your passion for saxophone in your personal statment.

OP, this is exactly what the PS can be used for. Show the adcomm your passion through the PS rather than telling them about it, and I think it could be an interesting read.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:19 pm

Dumb or brilliant?

wow. just brilliant. im speechless

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:20 pm

Innovator.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:50 am

I'm pretty sure I remember reading some blog post or something by one of the admissions deans (maybe Dean Z) where she said people do stuff like this every admission cycle and that it is a terrible idea.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:41 am

There might be an argument for sending schools a musical recording if, say, you composed a symphony at age 19 and it was performed by a major city orchestra.

But for the love of all that is holy, do NOT send schools a bunch of mediocre amateur saxophone music that you taped in your bedroom.

Sheriff

Postby Sheriff » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:55 am

I sent handmade pasta necklaces in with my apps. Worked out okay for me.

transferror

Postby transferror » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:11 am

Work a sax hip-hop element into the recording and send app directly to andre douglas pond cummings

Dog

Postby Dog » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:06 pm

If you want to tell them, make it into a story on your personal statement. If you get a bump from sending your music in, it will more than likely be a negative one. You've already admitted you're not exactly a virtuoso, so a recording sounds like a really bad idea.

It's a gimmick, and law schools are used to gimmicks. Just imagine a world where gimmicks worked for applicants... We'd all be putting together ridiculous props and mailing in whatever we thought could give us a boost. That would be a nightmare for both applicants and adcomms.

I am a bit of a musician/composer myself and have some interesting stories to tell, but that background didn't influence on my decision to apply to law school so I left it out.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”