In desperate need of advice.... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mka5000066

New

In desperate need of advice....

Post by mka5000066 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:58 pm

So, I've never posted on here before, but I really need advice about my current predicament and am not sure where else to turn.

My GPA undergrad was a 3.75. On my practice LSATS I was scoring between a 163 (lowest) and a 168 (highest). Unfortunately, on my December LSAT I became completely flustered, forgot to fill in my bubbles for LG until the five minute mark, and thus missed about a problem and a half.. the worst part is I can't even say with certainty that I filled in all those bubbles correctly.

I'm not canceling my score because most of the schools i'm looking at predominately consider the highest LSAT score. I'm planning on taking the test again in February.

So here's my question: is applying after the February LSAT WAYY too late, even for the schools that accept it? Am I better off putting off applications for another year? What are my options?

I am so confused and upset by what happened, any advice would be so greatly appreciated.

Kratos

Platinum

Re: In desperate need of advice....

Post by Kratos » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:07 pm

Just apply next year. don't take the Feb LSAT and study longer until June, then you can still retake in Sept., or whenever, you should be shooting for 170+ with that solid GPA.

kadyevna

Bronze

Post by kadyevna » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:17 pm

i think the common knowledge here is to retake, and sit out a cycle if needed. with a 3.75, you can get into really good schools if you can manage to score 170+, especially if you can get a 173+,harvard and probably stanford become possible, and you can potentially get $$$ from other T14. however with a 165, (lets assume 165 for now) your chance at a t14 is pretty slim, not to mention $$$. at the end of the day, a few points on lsat make a huge difference, and it can possibly change your life in the long run.

mka5000066

New

Post by mka5000066 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:24 pm

Thank you all so much for the advice.

I'm not really looking at crazy top tier schools. The school i'm in love with is BU, which has a median gpa of 3.6 and a LSAT of 163. I'm also looking at UPenn, Georgetown, GWU, Fordham, BC, etc, although the school I really want is BU.

Does taking the year off have any advantage over going to an easier school with a scholarship, and then transferring?

kadyevna

Bronze

Post by kadyevna » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:31 pm

i am not very familiar with those schools, you really would need someone else to answer your questions, but higher lsat definitely help with scholarships.

that being said, tls is pretty elitist, you don't have to be, but be aware that the job prospects and other things would be quite different once you graduate. with regard to transferring, its definitely possible, but most people think that they will be in the top 10% of their class before they even start law schools, but realistically, you don't know how you will cope with it. you should not go to a law school thinking that you will 100% transfer to a better law school. in that case, you should retake and get a higher lsat and apply now

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:44 pm

OP, you should definitely retake and wait until next cycle. With regard to choosing a school,

-what are your career goals (local government like DA/PD, feds, small firm, biglaw, public interest)?
-what region/state/city do you want to practice?
-where do you have ties (e.g., where you have family, attended college, lived or worked)?
-how will you be funding law school?

Answer these and you'll get some help on the schools you should aim for.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:00 pm

kadyevna wrote:i am not very familiar with those schools, you really would need someone else to answer your questions, but higher lsat definitely help with scholarships.
And unfortunately BU, Fordham, and Georgetown are known for being quite stingy with scholarships.
If you're really in love with BU, I would retake if necessary and apply ED next year for the full-ride scholarship.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:39 pm

Yeah, definitely wait a cycle and retake in June. Go to a top-tier school for good price or a strong regional for almost-free.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”