Should I cancel my December LSAT?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
codys2592
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:54 am

Should I cancel my December LSAT?

Postby codys2592 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:08 am

I took the LSAT this past weekend and I messed up on the third and fourth logic games. This was my second retake and I am skeptical that I improved or even matched my previous score, which was a 165. However, I am debating if I should keep the score and just see how I did because there might be a slight chance I did better. How would schools view a third test that is lower than the second? I am thinking about applying to Minnesota, Wash U, UNC, and UCLA (as a reach school). I looked on UNC's website and they said that after two tests they start averaging, so UNC is probably not an option if I keep the third score and it ends up being lower.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11954
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Should I cancel my December LSAT?

Postby Rigo » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:08 am

UNC thinks way too highly of themselves. They are not going to average, and even if they did, their median is a 161 so you're fine.

If I were you, I wouldn't cancel. Merely being "skeptical" is not enough to warrant a cancel. You should only cancel if you seriously bombed the test. Messing up and having to make educated guesses on some of the questions in the last two games (or even a few random guesses) is very different from not having time and choosing answer choice "C" for 10+ questions in a row.
You very well may have done really well in the other sections to compensate for your weaker than normal LG performance. The curve may also be very forgiving.

On an unrelated note, you need a better list of schools. Your top choices are all regional schools in several different regions. Think about what your career goals are, where you have ties, and where you want to practice. Adds schools to your list based on that.

User avatar
hillz
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:41 pm

Re: Should I cancel my December LSAT?

Postby hillz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:40 am

Totally agree with Rigo. I think it's pretty difficult to gauge how you did after the test and you could be completely wrong. Unless you just totally bombed a section and didn't fill in bubbles, I would think carefully about cancelling.

codys2592
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:54 am

Re: Should I cancel my December LSAT?

Postby codys2592 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:10 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I felt good throughout the rest of the test so I will probably keep it. It was a 50/50 decision on whether I should cancel or not and I think you guys swayed me to keep it. In regards to my list of schools, I am also considering UT, Vanderbilt, and Michigan but those are all reach schools I believe (even more so than UCLA). I have a 4.02 LSDAS GPA and decent softs so that should be to my advantage at my reach schools. I am thinking about sitting out this cycle and applying at the very beginning of the next cycle. Would you recommend that? I have read on numerous forums and websites that candidates that are a little under qualified have a better chance of getting into reach schools at the beginning of the cycle.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11954
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Should I cancel my December LSAT?

Postby Rigo » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:15 pm

codys2592 wrote:I am thinking about sitting out this cycle and applying at the very beginning of the next cycle. Would you recommend that?

Sure. Seems like a good move.

But why the hell are you not setting your sights higher with a 4.02 GPA? The 165 will hold you back when it comes to getting scholarships, but you could slip into some T14's.
When are you able to retake? Which administrations did you sit for?

User avatar
hillz
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:41 pm

Re: Should I cancel my December LSAT?

Postby hillz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:18 pm

Dirigo wrote:
codys2592 wrote:I am thinking about sitting out this cycle and applying at the very beginning of the next cycle. Would you recommend that?

Sure. Seems like a good move.

But why the hell are you not setting your sights higher with a 4.02 GPA? The 165 will hold you back when it comes to getting scholarships, but you could slip into some T14's.
When are you able to retake? Which administrations did you sit for?


Yeah, I can't think of any real reason not to sit out - I think it could only help you.

codys2592
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:54 am

Re: Should I cancel my December LSAT?

Postby codys2592 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:26 pm

At least two years in the future. I took the June, September, and December LSAT's so I wouldn't be able to take it again for awhile.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11954
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Should I cancel my December LSAT?

Postby Rigo » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:32 pm

codys2592 wrote:At least two years in the future. I took the June, September, and December LSAT's so I wouldn't be able to take it again for awhile.

Bummer.
Here is a spreadsheet of the up to date medians for schools to help you get the lay of the land and formulate an application strategy:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv? ... sp=sharing
Hoping a few medians fall this cycle and will put add value to your 165 next cycle.
Wishing you the best of luck!

codys2592
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:54 am

Re: Should I cancel my December LSAT?

Postby codys2592 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:56 pm

Thank you, that spreadsheet is very helpful!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests