C & F Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jrc223

C & F Question

Postby jrc223 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:54 pm

I've been going through the process of filling out most of the basic information in my law school applications, and due to a minor incident sophomore year, I will have to select 'yes' for all questions regarding any disciplinary action taken (though mine only resulted in a warning). Some applications, including NYU's, Duke's, and Columbia's, request that, in addition to providing a detailed explanation, I have my dean or an administrative officer send an explanation as well. When I asked my dean, however, she said that these schools would send her a Dean's Certification form and that she would take it from there. Is that what these applications meant? It's not the impression I received, as they explicitly stated to have her send an explanation and did not mention a certification form.

Thanks for the help

filibuster

Re: C & F Question

Postby filibuster » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:26 pm

They will send the Dean Certification form to the school either before admitting you or after admitting you. Make sure the explanation on your law school application matches the explanation your UG will provide the law school (e.g., don't say you were caught drinking once in the dorm when in reality you were caught drinking and caught with a fake ID).

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:35 pm

actually, some schools don't have a specific form. i also applied to duke and had to submit the dean certification (and not to the other two but i assume it should be the same), and they do not have a specific form. i told my UG dean they just wanted a letter from her and she was happy to write it. i would just talk to the dean and let them know and they should be able to help you out!

edit: for clarification, some schools (like cornell) do have a specific form, but duke does not.

jrc223

Postby jrc223 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:32 pm

I guess my question is what do I do right now? Do I submit my applications and wait for the law schools to contact my dean (which is what she is suggesting), or do I have her send an explanation now?

Thanks for your help guys

Jchance

Postby Jchance » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:26 am

filibuster wrote:They will send the Dean Certification form to the school either before admitting you or after admitting you. Make sure the explanation on your law school application matches the explanation your UG will provide the law school (e.g., don't say you were caught drinking once in the dorm when in reality you were caught drinking and caught with a fake ID).

Do they send this form to both law schools, before and after transfer?

hamiltona

Postby hamiltona » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:04 pm

I was admitted at Duke (with a C&F issue that merited a dean's certification form at Cornell). Duke never said anything about it. I'd imagine that this is a post-acceptance/application thing.

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:41 pm

jrc223 wrote:I guess my question is what do I do right now? Do I submit my applications and wait for the law schools to contact my dean (which is what she is suggesting), or do I have her send an explanation now?

Thanks for your help guys

you have to have the dean send the explanation/letter right now, before you submit your application. your application won't be complete until they receive it, and they will not contact your dean to ask for it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”