Help concerning late applications

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tfarunner

Help concerning late applications

Postby tfarunner » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:42 pm

Hi all. So, I took the September LSAT and did not do anywhere near as well as I would have liked (had some serious stress and just general testing anxiety). I considered taking the December test, but thought I could benefit from the extra study time. That being said, I am contemplating sending in my applications with my rather abysmal score now and sending emails/indicating to hold my application until the February score comes out. Best case scenario, I get a much higher score and get into some schools I want and could attend next cycle. Worst case scenario, I don't get in anywhere I want because of the later application and re-apply next cycle.

That being said, I have two questions:
1. Does the status of "re-applicant" hurt your chances at schools if you have to apply the following cycle?
2. Would schools still hold the application and wait for the February score even if the existing September score is well below the median?

Also, just for reference, 3.86 UG LDSAC GPA and TFA.

Any/all advice would be greatly appreciated!

franny90

Re: Help concerning late applications

Postby franny90 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:48 pm

I don't know your score or enough context to assess fully but will say that I have a friend who got a 159 on a stressful/disastrous take, mid-60s on a retake - applied, didn't get in where she wanted, then retook a third time, got a 171 and got into HLS, SLS, CLS, and a host of other T14s with her reapplication. Clearly neither the bad score nor the reapplication hurt her in the end.

tfarunner

Postby tfarunner » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:52 pm

franny90 wrote:I don't know your score or enough context to assess fully but will say that I have a friend who got a 159 on a stressful/disastrous take, mid-60s on a retake - applied, didn't get in where she wanted, then retook a third time, got a 171 and got into HLS, SLS, CLS, and a host of other T14s with her reapplication. Clearly neither the bad score nor the reapplication hurt her in the end.

Ah Franny, thank you. My disastrous retake was a 158 (that thing haunts me and was well below PT averages). Your friend gives me immense hope. URM/ GPA stats of your friend?

franny90

Postby franny90 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:56 pm

definitely not a URM. her initial application she was K-JD, the following year while she reapplied she got a master's. she did not get the Marshall but was a finalist and I think was between 3.8-3.9 at an Ivy.

tfarunner

Postby tfarunner » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:59 pm

franny90 wrote:definitely not a URM. her initial application she was K-JD, the following year while she reapplied she got a master's. she did not get the Marshall but was a finalist and I think was between 3.8-3.9 at an Ivy.

Ah perfect. Also have a 4.0 masters, but definitely not from an Ivy. Good to know though and thanks so much for your help!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”