Study: 70% of YLS students have some form of mental illness

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

jrc223

Re: Study: 70% of YLS students have some form of mental illness

Postby jrc223 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:21 pm

"Seventy percent of Yale Law School students who participated in the school’s Mental Health Alliance survey have struggled with mental health issues at some point during their law school careers."

secadc11

Postby secadc11 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:22 pm

jrc223 wrote:"Seventy percent of Yale Law School students who participated in the school’s Mental Health Alliance survey have struggled with mental health issues at some point during their law school careers."

pylon

Postby pylon » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:28 pm

Interesting article, but lol what a clickbait title to the thread.

pmacob

Postby pmacob » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:34 pm

jrc223 wrote:"Seventy percent of Yale Law School students who participated in the school’s Mental Health Alliance survey have struggled with mental health issues at some point during their law school careers."

I will say, in response to this, higher intelligence correlates very strongly with higher rates of mental illness. So it is likely that YLS has a higher rate of mental illness than the average school, since it is full of highly intelligent people, but that may be less due to the stress/workload of YLS and more due to the fact that the population of students who attend YLS are simply already more at risk for mental illness.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:00 pm

Assume literally everyone who didn't fill out the survey had no mental health issue. You're still getting ~30%+. The issue vs. illness is a big deal of course (I agree the title's super clickbaity for no reason.)

I hardly think the point is that the YLS experience is especially bad, just that law school is shitty and they (YLS in particular maybe) do a shitty job of helping.

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:32 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:

Assume literally everyone who didn't fill out the survey had no mental health issue. You're still getting ~30%+. The issue vs. illness is a big deal of course (I agree the title's super clickbaity for no reason.)

I hardly think the point is that the YLS experience is especially bad, just that law school is shitty and they (YLS in particular maybe) do a shitty job of helping.

Definitely skimmed this, but I'm going to assume that anxiety and depression were included, since they're generally considered a mental health issue. I also didn't see any indication of whether these issues needed to be severe to be considered. Likely, minor issues were considered as challenges. Mental health issues are fairly common. I don't see this as that surprising.

bluchai

Postby bluchai » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:02 pm

Ugh.

And this is the kind of statistic that my coworkers will bring up as to why YLS degrees will have law firm HR people throw your resume in the trash.

"No one likes savants and aspies."

Yep.

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:06 pm

So this article is saying 100% of YLS students are aspies 60% of the time? Sex panther...

bluchai

Postby bluchai » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:12 pm

FairchildFLT wrote:So this article is saying 100% of YLS students are aspies 60% of the time? Sex panther...

Dude, this article was emailed to me by a coworker with the message "No one likes savants and aspies."

And admittedly, when I read "sex panther," I thought you were implying that the other 40% of the time, the students are suave, with sexual prowess.

Then I looked up sex panther in Google and am now facepalming myself.

jrc223

Postby jrc223 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:37 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:

But it's only seventy percent of YLS students who participated in the study, not seventy percent of YLS students in general. All I was trying to suggest was this figure means nothing without knowing how many people actually participated in the survey--maybe they only surveyed 10 people. Or 20. Or 300. YLS could certainly have much more than 30% of its student population characterized as mentally healthy.

I agree with you otherwise, though.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:41 pm

jrc223 wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:

But it's only seventy percent of YLS students who participated in the study, not seventy percent of YLS students in general. All I was trying to suggest was this figure means nothing without knowing how many people actually participated in the survey--maybe they only surveyed 10 people. Or 20. Or 300. YLS could certainly have much more than 30% of its student population characterized as mentally healthy.

Outed as not having read the fucking article.

Second Paragraph of The Fucking Article wrote:The report, which was released Monday afternoon, is the first of its kind at the law school. Titled “Falling Through the Cracks,” it consisted of an electronic survey sent out to all YLS students. Out of YLS’s student body of approximately 650 students, 296 responded.

jrc223

Postby jrc223 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:46 pm

ymmv wrote:
jrc223 wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:

Outed as not having read the fucking article.

Second Paragraph of The Fucking Article wrote:The report, which was released Monday afternoon, is the first of its kind at the law school. Titled “Falling Through the Cracks,” it consisted of an electronic survey sent out to all YLS students. Out of YLS’s student body of approximately 650 students, 296 responded.

Ah, my mistake. I did skim the article this morning, but that obviously didn't stick. To Elston Gunn's earlier point, though, if those who did not respond to the survey were assumed to have no mental issues, in addition to those who did fill out the survey and identified as not having a mental issue, then approximately 68% of YLS students would not be considered mentally ill.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”