Am I screwed? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ibelieve

New

Am I screwed?

Post by Ibelieve » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:01 am

Ok, so I'm kind of freaking out over here. My dream school is GW. My GPA is really, really weak at 3.33, but I think my LSAT (2nd try this past Saturday) should be enough to give me a shot (however small) at getting in. I had every intention of applying ED to GW, but (and this is entirely my fault) put off certain things (like asking for recommendations) because I was so focused on the LSAT that I took last Saturday that I just neglected other things (again, entirely my fault). Anyway, I saw last night that it could take up to TWO weeks for LSAC to process your transcript/letters of rec?!?!?! Is this true? What have people's experiences been regarding how long it takes? The deadline for GW ED is January 10th, a month from now, and the LSAC website says transcript and LOR should be sent 4 to 6 weeks prior to deadlines? I mean, really?

I am asking my recommenders this afternoon. I don't want to sound too pushy, since they are already doing me a huge favor in writing the letters in the first place, but when should I try to see if they can have them done by? In other words, what's the latest possible date where sending the LOR would give enough time for LSAC to process it ( which apparently requires a herculean effort, given how long it appears to take them) and then for them to send it to GW by January 10th?

Also, I am having a great semester, and based on my calculations, can raise my GPA to 3.39-3.40 from 3.33. What gives me a better shot: Applying ED (assuming I still have enough time to do so, ugh) with my 3.33, or waiting until after updated transcripts are released (January 5th) and submitting my app with a 3.40, albeit much later (mid-late Jan since LSAC would have to process it). Is applying ED more of an advantage than a .07-.08 increase in GPA percentage points? Is there any way I can send them my current transcript applying ED with an addendum that I wish to send an updated copy as soon as grades are released January 5th?

I know this is a lot, and for all who have made it this far, thanks for reading what are probably stupid questions. And thanks in advance for any help.

Ibelieve

New

Re: Am I screwed?

Post by Ibelieve » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:05 am

Ok, well I just saw the other thread that states if a professor uploads them online, it should be processed immediately. That's great to here, and takes a bit of stress off. But the question still remains about transcripts...requesting a transcript on Jan 5th would be way too late for a January 10th deadline, right? And again...I'm torn. I just don't know how big an advantage ED would be compared to a 3.33 to 3.39/3.40 jump in GPA and applying regularly. I'm assuming ED with the 3.33 gives me the better shot? But again...would sending them two transcripts and letting them know my intentions of doing so work? This semester will probably be my best ever.

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:40 am

applying ED at GW is not an advantage because it comes with a full ride. it is much harder to get in ED than RD. in what range were your LSAT practice tests?
Last edited by xylocarp on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stew0610

New

Post by stew0610 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:51 am

Hard to tell without your LSAT score. If your score is at or above GW's 75th percentile, I think you'll get in without a problem RD.

rustyburger2

Bronze

Post by rustyburger2 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:03 am

Ibelieve wrote:But the question still remains about transcripts...requesting a transcript on Jan 5th would be way too late for a January 10th deadline, right?
It might not be. I had my transcripts sent electronically with CredentialsSolutions, and it only took a couple days to get fully processed. But I might have just gotten lucky, I dunno.

Check to make sure your college uses it first though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dirac

New

Post by dirac » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:11 am

Ibelieve wrote:Ok, so I'm kind of freaking out over here. My dream school is GW. My GPA is really, really weak at 3.33, but I think my LSAT (2nd try this past Saturday) should be enough to give me a shot (however small) at getting in. I had every intention of applying ED to GW, but (and this is entirely my fault) put off certain things (like asking for recommendations) because I was so focused on the LSAT that I took last Saturday that I just neglected other things (again, entirely my fault). Anyway, I saw last night that it could take up to TWO weeks for LSAC to process your transcript/letters of rec?!?!?! Is this true? What have people's experiences been regarding how long it takes? The deadline for GW ED is January 10th, a month from now, and the LSAC website says transcript and LOR should be sent 4 to 6 weeks prior to deadlines? I mean, really?

I am asking my recommenders this afternoon. I don't want to sound too pushy, since they are already doing me a huge favor in writing the letters in the first place, but when should I try to see if they can have them done by? In other words, what's the latest possible date where sending the LOR would give enough time for LSAC to process it ( which apparently requires a herculean effort, given how long it appears to take them) and then for them to send it to GW by January 10th?

Also, I am having a great semester, and based on my calculations, can raise my GPA to 3.39-3.40 from 3.33. What gives me a better shot: Applying ED (assuming I still have enough time to do so, ugh) with my 3.33, or waiting until after updated transcripts are released (January 5th) and submitting my app with a 3.40, albeit much later (mid-late Jan since LSAC would have to process it). Is applying ED more of an advantage than a .07-.08 increase in GPA percentage points? Is there any way I can send them my current transcript applying ED with an addendum that I wish to send an updated copy as soon as grades are released January 5th?

I know this is a lot, and for all who have made it this far, thanks for reading what are probably stupid questions. And thanks in advance for any help.

I agree with the other guys that it may not be the best idea to apply ED. But if you really want to apply ED, you might not need to worry about the processing time of the transcript. Normally the deadline for ED is for the submission of your application, not for the completion of your application. You should contact the admission office of GW to let them know your situation. Mostly likely they will kindly say there should be no problem if your transcripts and reports arrive several days after the deadline. Good luck!

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:12 am

is GW a good idea @ sticker?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:37 pm

mvp99 wrote:is GW a good idea @ sticker?
Hell no.

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:29 pm

Why is GW your dream school?

Atmosphere

Silver

Post by Atmosphere » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:49 pm

Dirigo wrote:
mvp99 wrote:is GW a good idea @ sticker?
Hell no.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”