Anyone have luck getting a 4th LSAT take??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Calbears123

Anyone have luck getting a 4th LSAT take??

Postby Calbears123 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:36 am

Took my first try last Dec with like a month of studying and get in the 65th percentile, took it again in June after 3 months of studying and got around the 90th percentile, took it again yesterday sick thinking I could power through it but my stomach decided it wasn't going to go on. I cancelled after section 2.

Anyway I'm going to send LSAC a letter this week asking for one last try in Feb. Anyone have luck getting LSAC to grant a 4th try? Should I try and get a doctors note???

Rigo

Re: Anyone have luck getting a 4th LSAT take??

Postby Rigo » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:52 am

Not sure if they'll grant your request (I doubt it), but I think you'll be eligible to retake again in June since that administration marks the start of the new cycle (and thus kicks your first take outside of the 2 cycle window).

whitespider

Postby whitespider » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:48 am

It's not two cycles, but two years. You wouldn't be able to take it again until December of next year unless LSAC approves an exception.

Here's what LSAC replied to someone a few years ago on another thread asking about a fourth retake...

LSAC wrote:Thank you for your inquiry to LSAC:

Normally, you may not take The LSAT more than three times in any two-year period. This policy applies even if you cancel your score or it is not otherwise reported. LSAC reserves the right to cancel your registration, rescind your admission ticket, or take any other steps necessary to enforce this policy. However, you may retake the test if a law school to which you are applying requires a more recent score than any you have on record, or approves your retaking the test, and the school provides LSAC with written proof of its requirements or approval no later than the last day of registration for the test.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:03 am

I know it says two years but I thought it had been established on this forum that by "year" LSAT means what we know to be a "cycle"--the period of time from the June administration to the following June administration.

So for OP,
Year 1: December 2013 admin
Year 2: June 2014 admin & December 2014 admin.

February 2015 would fall in year 2 whereas June 2015 would start year 3 and thus kick out the December 2013 admin from being included in the calculation.

whitespider

Postby whitespider » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:52 am

I'm not sure where you got that impression? Everything I've read says its two calendar years. There really is no official LSAT cycle.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:02 pm

whitespider wrote:I'm not sure where you got that impression? Everything I've read says its two calendar years. There really is no official LSAT cycle.

Got that impression here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=236961#p8060153

whitespider

Postby whitespider » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:05 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that dude is wrong. There's like 20 other threads out there that say two years and nothing about cycles.

And to clarify, when I say calendar year, I was being inarticulate. I don't mean Jan-Dec. I mean two twelve-month periods, starting with your first test.

And it seems they go by month not by specific date. So a person with a first test on Feb 2012 would be able to take a fourth test on Feb 2014, a person with a first test on Dec 2014 could take a fourth test on Dec 2016, etc.

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:22 am

Can anybody else chime in with anecdotal evidence? I took the LSAT 3 times starting in December 2013 and would be interested in knowing if I could take it again in June.

Also, has anyone actually substantially improved in their 4th try?

bluchai

Postby bluchai » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:32 pm

Moneytrees wrote:Can anybody else chime in with anecdotal evidence? I took the LSAT 3 times starting in December 2013 and would be interested in knowing if I could take it again in June.

Also, has anyone actually substantially improved in their 4th try?

I don't have the knowledge to answer your first question.

For the second question, it totally depends on how hard you study and how much time you dedicate to PTing and understanding the mistakes you made on each PT. I've heard of someone with a 146 on their first LSAT take 2 years to study and get a 174 on the 2nd try. I've also heard of people (namely on admission counselor websites) who scored in the 140s the first time, took it 2 more times, and broke 170 in the 4th time. It depends on the person and his or her strengths/weaknesses.

Law1491

Postby Law1491 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:20 am

I received an official reply from LSAC about 2-year limitation. "You would count 2 years from your oldest exam to calculate your next eligible date. If your oldest LSAT was in October 2013, your next eligible date would be October 2015.''

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”