Chances of NU Law or Chicago Law admission as undergrad?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bearslaw2018

Chances of NU Law or Chicago Law admission as undergrad?

Postby bearslaw2018 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:12 pm

Hey everyone, I'm new here but I figured I could maybe get some insight on the chances I have to be admitted to the big Chicago law schools as an undergrad. My LSAT is a 167 and GPA of 3.98 at a prestigious public university. I have worked all through school (not related to law) and got into a lot of good law schools already such as Duke, Vanderbilt, Wash U, Minnesota, and a few others.

I know Northwestern usually emphasizes work experience before being accepted and I was curious to know my chances of getting in with my credentials straight out of undergrad. I also understand that University of Chicago is a reach for me but I'd like to believe I still have a chance. Let me know what you guys think.

Mullens

Re: Chances of NU Law or Chicago Law admission as undergrad?

Postby Mullens » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:31 pm

Please tell us why you need to be admitted as an undergrad?

You should retake the LSAT.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:40 pm

Odds are good for NU, bad but not impossible for UC. Retaking the LSAT would be a good idea regardless.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:32 pm

just retake and apply next year

bearslaw2018

Postby bearslaw2018 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:40 pm

I have had some thoughts about retaking the LSAT but I am really eager to get into law school out of Undergrad because I know law is what I want to do. Northwestern is where I really want to go but the fact that they emphasize work experience frightens me. I had my on campus interview with the Northwestern alum and I think it went really well so I hope that helps. Thank you for your feedback guys I appreciate it but keep it comin!

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:45 pm

bearslaw2018 wrote:I have had some thoughts about retaking the LSAT but I am really eager to get into law school out of Undergrad because I know law is what I want to do. Northwestern is where I really want to go but the fact that they emphasize work experience frightens me. I had my on campus interview with the Northwestern alum and I think it went really well so I hope that helps. Thank you for your feedback guys I appreciate it but keep it comin!

Really? Explain how you know this

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:20 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:Odds are good for NU, bad but not impossible for UC. Retaking the LSAT would be a good idea regardless.

odds are probably not good at NU for next fall. what they do for a lot of KJDs is offer admission and/or scholarships contingent upon the student taking a year off and gaining full time work experience

Calvin Murphy

Postby Calvin Murphy » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:22 pm

mvp99 wrote:
bearslaw2018 wrote:I have had some thoughts about retaking the LSAT but I am really eager to get into law school out of Undergrad because I know law is what I want to do. Northwestern is where I really want to go but the fact that they emphasize work experience frightens me. I had my on campus interview with the Northwestern alum and I think it went really well so I hope that helps. Thank you for your feedback guys I appreciate it but keep it comin!

Really? Explain how you know this

Even if your reason(s) is/are FANTASTIC...you'll have a much more successful run at OCI if you have work experience--thereby allowing you to be a lawyer (which is something you know you want to do). Don't want biglaw? Work experience could also be an opportunity to get closer to the PI/govt position that you covet, since these types of employers look for commitment to their area.

bearslaw2018

Postby bearslaw2018 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:31 pm

I see, so it seems like getting work experience before going to law school is what you all recommend? I just have had my mind set on going to law school out of undergrad for a few years now. If I don't get into the Chicago schools I have some good alternatives lined up and still waiting to hear back from others. I mean NU really places that big of an emphasis on work experience?
I'm just not sure if its more beneficial to work lets say in Chicago for a year, maybe retake the LSAT and reapply to the Chicago schools or go to another school straight out of undergrad. This is all very helpful.

pylon

Postby pylon » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:49 am

bearslaw2018 wrote:I see, so it seems like getting work experience before going to law school is what you all recommend? I just have had my mind set on going to law school out of undergrad for a few years now. If I don't get into the Chicago schools I have some good alternatives lined up and still waiting to hear back from others. I mean NU really places that big of an emphasis on work experience?
I'm just not sure if its more beneficial to work lets say in Chicago for a year, maybe retake the LSAT and reapply to the Chicago schools or go to another school straight out of undergrad. This is all very helpful.

IMO, it is more beneficial to wait and reapply to Chicago schools rather than go to a different school straight out of undergrad. I think you should take the year off, and also retake during your year of work experience. A few points would really increase your chances at Chicago and $$ at other schools, in addition to the benefit of not being a KJD.

Meow Meowsworth

Postby Meow Meowsworth » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:45 am

bearslaw2018 wrote:I see, so it seems like getting work experience before going to law school is what you all recommend? I just have had my mind set on going to law school out of undergrad for a few years now. If I don't get into the Chicago schools I have some good alternatives lined up and still waiting to hear back from others. I mean NU really places that big of an emphasis on work experience?

"Continuing our strong emphasis on enrolling students with work experience, 90% possess at least one year of post-undergraduate experience." Source: NU's website.

You might get in, but even if you do, you likely won't get substantial scholarship money. If you're alright with NU, you could take a year off, get a year of work experience that might help you for OCI, and retake the LSAT. 2 points and you're very competitive for the $150,000 ED scholarship. 2 points and you could save over $100k.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”