A prof who wrote my recommendation died Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AnonymousApplicant

New

A prof who wrote my recommendation died

Post by AnonymousApplicant » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:11 pm

What should I do if one of the profs who wrote me a recommendation died? Can I still use the recommendation, or should I get another one? I should probably call the schools that I'm applying to to see what they have to say, but to be perfectly honest, I'm really not comfortable asking. So what do you all think?

(Please don't quote -- I intend to eventually delete this post once I'm satisfied with the feedback. Thanks.)

Caesar Salad

Diamond

Re: A prof who wrote my recommendation died

Post by Caesar Salad » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:15 pm

Definitely use it. Write an addendum explaining that he thought so highly of you that he declared he'd never write another rec as long as he lived; in the alternative explain that after writing your rec he looked at you peacefully and said "My life is validated, I can die happy." This could be a serious soft if you spin it right.

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:26 pm

Why do you think it might not be a good idea to use the recommendation ?

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:27 pm

Caesar Salad wrote:Definitely use it. Write an addendum explaining that he thought so highly of you that he declared he'd never write another rec as long as he lived; in the alternative explain that after writing your rec he looked at you peacefully and said "My life is validated, I can die happy." This could be a serious soft if you spin it right.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:37 pm

Use it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:39 pm

The degree to which a school will care about this is slightly lower than the degree to which the school cares about your favorite color.

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:46 pm

I really don't understand why this is a problem. Their feedback is valid, whether alive or dead, as they are commenting on your performance in the past.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:49 pm

AnonymousApplicant wrote:What should I do if one of the profs who wrote me a recommendation died? Can I still use the recommendation, or should I get another one? I should probably call the schools that I'm applying to to see what they have to say, but to be perfectly honest, I'm really not comfortable asking. So what do you all think?

(Please don't quote -- I intend to eventually delete this post once I'm satisfied with the feedback. Thanks.)
Because the recommendation was the declarant's dying declaration, you can get this into evidence.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:55 pm

Caesar Salad wrote:Definitely use it. Write an addendum explaining that he thought so highly of you that he declared he'd never write another rec as long as he lived; in the alternative explain that after writing your rec he looked at you peacefully and said "My life is validated, I can die happy." This could be a serious soft if you spin it right.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Meow Meowsworth

New

Post by Meow Meowsworth » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:01 pm

I think OP's concern is probably that when you fill out the information for the recommendation on LSAC, it asks for the recommender's contact details. But schools aren't going to waste time contacting your recommenders, except maybe in cases where they think there is fraud. So it shouldn't be a problem, and if it comes up at a specific school, you can explain the situation then. I would use it.

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:06 pm

Meow Meowsworth wrote:I think OP's concern is probably that when you fill out the information for the recommendation on LSAC, it asks for the recommender's contact details. But schools aren't going to waste time contacting your recommenders, except maybe in cases where they think there is fraud. So it shouldn't be a problem, and if it comes up at a specific school, you can explain the situation then. I would use it.
Yeah, but doesn't it only ask you for their contact info when you intially enter their info so they can upload the letter? Wouldn't the letter already have been uploaded before the death? On individual schools it usually just asks for their name and even if the school asks for contact info on individual apps, just write an addendum that the prof died. Either way, it shouldn't matter because the date on the LOR will be before the death.

anonymousdouche

New

Post by anonymousdouche » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:03 pm

Seoulless wrote:Why do you think it might not be a good idea to use the recommendation ?
Death shows weakness. It reflects badly on the recommender.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:43 pm

Just pure gold.

In all seriousness it's fine to use. If it comes up (it won't), just explain and apologize to the school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:46 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:

Carter1901

Bronze

Post by Carter1901 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:12 am

ilikebaseball wrote:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”