Okay, does this option work?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hopefullaw
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:17 pm

Re: Okay, does this option work?

Postby hopefullaw » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:22 pm

Dirigo wrote:
hopefullaw wrote:alright, I removed my seat on the dec 06 deadline, all i have is my Saturday, February 08, 2014 score of 150.

I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack right now.

Tbh, two months isn't really enough time to adequately study if you're basically just starting.


If I may ask, what did you score at / go for LS and what method did you use to study? (not being sarcastic or anything, just trying to see where TLS posters are coming from)

I was hoping that ~30 hours a week until feb would be enough time :(

User avatar
nlee10
Posts: 3016
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:00 pm

Re: Okay, does this option work?

Postby nlee10 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:25 pm

hopefullaw wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
hopefullaw wrote:alright, I removed my seat on the dec 06 deadline, all i have is my Saturday, February 08, 2014 score of 150.

I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack right now.

Tbh, two months isn't really enough time to adequately study if you're basically just starting.


If I may ask, what did you score at / go for LS and what method did you use to study? (not being sarcastic or anything, just trying to see where TLS posters are coming from)

I was hoping that ~30 hours a week until feb would be enough time :(


He's taking it tomorrow. :lol:

hopefullaw
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:17 pm

Re: Okay, does this option work?

Postby hopefullaw » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:27 pm

nlee10 wrote:
hopefullaw wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
hopefullaw wrote:alright, I removed my seat on the dec 06 deadline, all i have is my Saturday, February 08, 2014 score of 150.

I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack right now.

Tbh, two months isn't really enough time to adequately study if you're basically just starting.


If I may ask, what did you score at / go for LS and what method did you use to study? (not being sarcastic or anything, just trying to see where TLS posters are coming from)

I was hoping that ~30 hours a week until feb would be enough time :(


He's taking it tomorrow. :lol:


What about yourself? And I'm guessing having the mindset of first studying THEN deciding a test date is superior to Deciding a test date then studying.

What program did you use?

User avatar
Ron Don Volante
Posts: 899
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Re: Okay, does this option work?

Postby Ron Don Volante » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:27 pm

Yeah if you're not prepared right now to improve much, and you put in any amount of effort the time you got a 150, I doubt you have much chance to get to a 170 this February, even if you made it a full-time job. Most people who start with diagnostics in the high 150s need half a year of prep to get to the level you're going for, if they ever get there. And even if you do get to that level, your cycle would be depressed as fuck, as you didn't apply until March.

Take it in June and do it right, then go to a real school w/ a great scholarship. If that damages your relationship w/ your parents, oh well. They'll come crawling back when their son goes to Columbia. (But are those the kind of people you want in your life, either way? (Why do you even want to go to law school? If it's just to make them happy, this is not going to end well either way))

hopefullaw
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:17 pm

Re: Okay, does this option work?

Postby hopefullaw » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:30 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:Yeah if you're not prepared right now to improve much, and you put in any amount of effort the time you got a 150, I doubt you have much chance to get to a 170 this February, even if you made it a full-time job. Most people who start with diagnostics in the high 150s need half a year of prep to get to the level you're going for, if they ever get there. And even if you do get to that level, your cycle would be depressed as fuck, as you didn't apply until March.

Take it in June and do it right, then go to a real school w/ a great scholarship. If that damages your relationship w/ your parents, oh well. They'll come crawling back when their son goes to Columbia. (But are those the kind of people you want in your life, either way? (Why do you even want to go to law school? If it's just to make them happy, this is not going to end well either way))


Law school was wholeheartedly my decision.

My parents are just hating the fact that I'm taking so much time off school to start school again (they believe that taking too long off undergrad just makes it that much harder to get into gear for school after a hiatus).

May I ask what you scored at / got admitted to? I am thinking I need to actually use a proper program like 7sage for motivation.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11942
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Okay, does this option work?

Postby Rigo » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:33 pm

nlee10 wrote:
hopefullaw wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
hopefullaw wrote:alright, I removed my seat on the dec 06 deadline, all i have is my Saturday, February 08, 2014 score of 150.

I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack right now.

Tbh, two months isn't really enough time to adequately study if you're basically just starting.


If I may ask, what did you score at / go for LS and what method did you use to study? (not being sarcastic or anything, just trying to see where TLS posters are coming from)

I was hoping that ~30 hours a week until feb would be enough time :(


He's taking it tomorrow. :lol:

Yup. Haven't taken the test yet. If I were a betting man, I'll probably score a 165-170. I plan on a retake unless I break 170, which is certainly in the realm of possibility based on last few PT's. I have a 3.9 also so I especially urge you not to waste that. I'm so happy I stayed on top of things in undergrad.
But I self-studied, as do most TLS users. Classes didn't seem worth the money to me, but to each his own.

By the way, I don't plan on applying this cycle. I graduated college in 2012. I'm actually considering a job opportunity that will be a several year commitment. As of now, I still eventually want to go to law school. I have friends who are in their 30's who are just now applying to schools. Sitting out for 2 years hardly makes you a loser or abnormal.
Just a bit of perspective.

User avatar
scrowell
Posts: 411
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:04 pm

Re: Okay, does this option work?

Postby scrowell » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:34 pm

hopefullaw wrote:q

It's hard to get over the fact that I will be sitting out TWO cycles. God damn I'm fucking freaked right now.


U need to pop a xanax or something bro. With this attitude, you'll get nowhere in the business/law world.

The people at the top or the food chain are those who are intelligent and hard working, but also calm and collected. People that lose their shit about nothing don't get far.

U need to change Ur attitude more than your lsat score
Last edited by scrowell on Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
nlee10
Posts: 3016
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:00 pm

Re: Okay, does this option work?

Postby nlee10 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:36 pm

hopefullaw wrote:What about yourself? And I'm guessing having the mindset of first studying THEN deciding a test date is superior to Deciding a test date then studying.

What program did you use?


I'm studying for FEB actually, but I have come a long way since July.

I cold diag'd a 136 back in July after a family member's passing so I don't think I was in my right mind, but whatever. I have been PT'ing in the 160-163 as of two weeks ago when I decided to postpone to Feb. I'm using 7Sage right now and highly recommend it.

ETA: After seeing Rigo's back story, thought I'd add mine since I'm closer in age to you OP.
I graduated June 2014 and have been working for my dad (we start a new small business every couple years). Taking this cycle off and will be applying for the '15-'16 cycle.
Last edited by nlee10 on Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hopefullaw
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:17 pm

Re: Okay, does this option work?

Postby hopefullaw » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:37 pm

nlee10 wrote:
hopefullaw wrote:What about yourself? And I'm guessing having the mindset of first studying THEN deciding a test date is superior to Deciding a test date then studying.

What program did you use?


I'm studying for FEB actually, but I have come a long way since July.

I cold diag'd a 136 back in July after a family member's passing so I don't think I was in my right mind, but whatever. I have been PT'ing in the 160-163 as of two weeks ago when I decided to postpone to Feb. I'm using 7Sage right now and highly recommend it.



Which 7sage did you buy and did you have a code?
scrowell wrote:
hopefullaw wrote:q

It's hard to get over the fact that I will be sitting out TWO cycles. God damn I'm fucking freaked right now.


U need to pop a xanax or something bro. With this attitude, you'll get nowhere in the business/law world.

The people at the top or the food chain are those who are intelligent and hard working also, but also calm and collected. People that lose their shit about nothing don't get far.

U need to change Ur attitude more than your lsat score


I think it's the fear that I have of being just a disappointment.

User avatar
Ron Don Volante
Posts: 899
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Re: Okay, does this option work?

Postby Ron Don Volante » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:38 pm

hopefullaw wrote:Law school was wholeheartedly my decision.

My parents are just hating the fact that I'm taking so much time off school to start school again (they believe that taking too long off undergrad just makes it that much harder to get into gear for school after a hiatus).

May I ask what you scored at / got admitted to? I am thinking I need to actually use a proper program like 7sage for motivation.

Even if it was your decision: why? Assuming you went to a great undergrad w/ that ACT, you have many doors open to you with your GPA, regardless of what your major was. Not counting HYS cookie-cutter types, law school is an acceptable door for people who don't have great options. You should make sure you've sufficiently explored the alternatives first.

Well your parents are misinformed, and, again, why does it matter what they think? Who cares. You're an adult.

Use the resources on this LSAT forum. You don't necessarily need to do any kind of program. If you can't get motivated by yourself for the LSAT then you shouldn't be an attorney. The LSAT is legitimately fun compared to 1L finals. But I'm not the best person to give LSAT advice here; I did well, but most people here had fantastic scores. I go to UT.

Jchance
Posts: 588
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:17 am

Re: Okay, does this option work?

Postby Jchance » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:38 pm

scrowell wrote:The people at the top or the food chain are those who are intelligent and hard working also, but also calm and collected. People that lose their shit about nothing don't get far.


+1. The hardest lesson in life is to stay calm under all circumstances. The second hardest lesson is how to block out “noises.”

No offense--Your father is a "noise" in your life right now, you won't succeed listening to "noises" from an outsider that knows nothing about law school and the legal market. People on here are on the inside (in law school or working), so take it FWIW

User avatar
utahraptor
Posts: 3440
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:05 pm

Re: Okay, does this option work?

Postby utahraptor » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:42 pm

(1) seek professional help
(2) don't go to law school

It's your life to fuck up. You can and probably will seriously fuck up your life if you continue down your current path.

I'd rather work retail for the rest of my life than gamble on a shitty school due to parental pressure.

AReasonableMan
Posts: 1504
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: Okay, does this option work?

Postby AReasonableMan » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:48 pm

hopefullaw wrote:
imKMart wrote:Does it work? Yeah but have you considered sitting out this cycle, getting some WE, and applying next cycle?


What is getting some WE mean?

Yes I have considered, but basically I already skipped a cycle (graduated 2014).

It has sort of become an ultimatum that I cannot skip another cycle.

Now if the steps I mentioned before work and I net above a 170, skipping another cycle seems extremely trivial.

e/Oh work experience!

You don't want to rush it. Being k-jd makes you less employable by itself. Being k-jd means at a TTT is a big problem.

If you improve by twenty points, your odds of getting a paid legal position out of law school are about 97%. If you go with your 150, they are about 45%. An ultimatum to enter law school now no matter the cost is like a dictator declaring war on everybody when he's got no military. He's got that feeling he's gotta fight so why not go all in immediately and invade everybody? YOLO

Jchance
Posts: 588
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:17 am

Re: Okay, does this option work?

Postby Jchance » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:57 pm

LOL @ the war joke. Spot on.

hopefullaw wrote:I graduated Summa Cum Laude (honors) with a 3.9 GPA.


Sometime I question what school teaches its students these days. Summa grad not knowing how to research the legal market, SMH.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3401
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Okay, does this option work?

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:00 pm

I'm sure your parents would be proud if you were at Harvard, Yale, or Stanford. Don't be dumb. Retake.

hopefullaw
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:17 pm

Re: Okay, does this option work?

Postby hopefullaw » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:01 pm

Jchance wrote:LOL @ the war joke. Spot on.

hopefullaw wrote:I graduated Summa Cum Laude (honors) with a 3.9 GPA.


Sometime I question what school teaches its students these days. Summa grad not knowing how to research the legal market, SMH.

Sorry for being an idiot

User avatar
scrowell
Posts: 411
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:04 pm

Re: Okay, does this option work?

Postby scrowell » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:07 pm

hopefullaw wrote:
Jchance wrote:LOL @ the war joke. Spot on.

hopefullaw wrote:I graduated Summa Cum Laude (honors) with a 3.9 GPA.


Sometime I question what school teaches its students these days. Summa grad not knowing how to research the legal market, SMH.

Sorry for being an idiot


Why do you care what your parents think? You're a grown-ass man!

hopefullaw
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:17 pm

Re: Okay, does this option work?

Postby hopefullaw » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:24 pm

scrowell wrote:
hopefullaw wrote:
Jchance wrote:LOL @ the war joke. Spot on.

hopefullaw wrote:I graduated Summa Cum Laude (honors) with a 3.9 GPA.


Sometime I question what school teaches its students these days. Summa grad not knowing how to research the legal market, SMH.

Sorry for being an idiot


Why do you care what your parents think? You're a grown-ass man!


Still an important consideration, but you are right, it shouldn't be the only consideration.

Has anyone taken 7sage and paired it with Manhattan books (LG, LR, etc) and The LSAT trainer

AReasonableMan
Posts: 1504
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: Okay, does this option work?

Postby AReasonableMan » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:28 pm

When your father wants you to be successful, what he is really expressing is this:

"I want you to provide external verification that I'm not a bad father, raised you well and have good genes."

Going heavily into debt based on his un-researched advice, and being in debt for the rest of your life while in the same situation you are in now will not provide this to him.

Telling him to shutup for a year while you improved your score, and used objective data to create a very good future for himself would make him much happier in the long run. Part of being an adult is knowing when to defer in a situation, and when to lead.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11942
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Okay, does this option work?

Postby Rigo » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:30 pm

7Sage is the best for LG, IMO. If you want to pair it with a LG book, get a the Powerscore Bible.

For LR, manhattan and the Trainer complement each other very well.
For RC, I used manhattan too but it's really a weird section that just takes a ton of practice if you're not a natural at it.

The Cambridge Bundles are very good for drilling.

hopefullaw
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:17 pm

Re: Okay, does this option work?

Postby hopefullaw » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:38 pm

Dirigo wrote:7Sage is the best for LG, IMO. If you want to pair it with a LG book, get a the Powerscore Bible.

For LR, manhattan and the Trainer complement each other very well.
For RC, I used manhattan too but it's really a weird section that just takes a ton of practice if you're not a natural at it.

The Cambridge Bundles are very good for drilling.


So for drilling:
LSAT Logical Reasoning by Type (PrepTests 1–38
LSAT Logic Games by Type (PrepTests 1–38)
LSAT Reading Comprehension by Type (PrepTests 1–38)

For main course: 7sage LSAT Starter curriculum

For LG
7sage LSAT Starter curriculum

For LR
Manhattan book + trainer + 7sage LSAT Starter curriculum

For RC
Just use the prep tests that I do for practice
Last edited by hopefullaw on Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
nlee10
Posts: 3016
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:00 pm

Re: Okay, does this option work?

Postby nlee10 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:01 pm

http://www.cambridgelsat.com/problem-se ... rehension/

There's also Cambridge Packets for RC.

hopefullaw
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:17 pm

Re: Okay, does this option work?

Postby hopefullaw » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:11 pm

nlee10 wrote:http://www.cambridgelsat.com/problem-sets/reading-comprehension/

There's also Cambridge Packets for RC.


Alright so updated list:

So for drilling:
LSAT Logical Reasoning by Type (PrepTests 1–38
LSAT Logic Games by Type (PrepTests 1–38)
LSAT Reading Comprehension by Type (PrepTests 1–38)

For main course: 7sage LSAT Starter curriculum + LSAT trainer

Where do the Manhattan books really shine? I have the 3 set

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11942
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Okay, does this option work?

Postby Rigo » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:18 pm

hopefullaw wrote:
nlee10 wrote:http://www.cambridgelsat.com/problem-sets/reading-comprehension/

There's also Cambridge Packets for RC.


Alright so updated list:

So for drilling:
LSAT Logical Reasoning by Type (PrepTests 1–38
LSAT Logic Games by Type (PrepTests 1–38)
LSAT Reading Comprehension by Type (PrepTests 1–38)

For main course: 7sage LSAT Starter curriculum + LSAT trainer

Where do the Manhattan books really shine? I have the 3 set

You can buy the big bundle and get all 1-39 drilling and full PT's 40-70 instead of getting everything individually.

And Manhattan LR is my favorite.
Try things out for yourself. Everyone has different things that work for them.

hopefullaw
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:17 pm

Re: Okay, does this option work?

Postby hopefullaw » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:26 pm

Dirigo wrote:
hopefullaw wrote:
nlee10 wrote:http://www.cambridgelsat.com/problem-sets/reading-comprehension/

There's also Cambridge Packets for RC.


Alright so updated list:

So for drilling:
LSAT Logical Reasoning by Type (PrepTests 1–38
LSAT Logic Games by Type (PrepTests 1–38)
LSAT Reading Comprehension by Type (PrepTests 1–38)

For main course: 7sage LSAT Starter curriculum + LSAT trainer

Where do the Manhattan books really shine? I have the 3 set

You can buy the big bundle and get all 1-39 drilling and full PT's 40-70 instead of getting everything individually.

And Manhattan LR is my favorite.
Try things out for yourself. Everyone has different things that work for them.


I already have all the tests so I figured the bundle was unnecessary since it factored in prices for PT 40-70
For explanations I have 29-38; 62-71




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ssolli, Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests