Okay, does this option work?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hopefullaw

Okay, does this option work?

Postby hopefullaw » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:26 pm

I took the LSAT in Feb of this year. Scored horribly (150).

I graduated Summa Cum Laude (honors) with a 3.9 GPA.

I am registered to take the LSAT tomorrow.

I did not study as I should have, I fucked up. I thought my 35 ACT meant that I didn't need to study for shit and could cruise while skimming LSAT books. WRONG.

I was thinking of doing the following:

-Eat the registration fee
-Study balls to the wall till feb
-take feb lsat and actually do well
-Apply to schools for the 2015 cycle with the feb test (OBVIOUSLY this is a late application)
-Retake in June
-Any schools that waitlisted/denied me due to feb scores will be sent the new June score
-Any schools that accepted/offered me $ due to feb scores will be sent the new June score
-June score used in order to better my options for the 2015 CYCLE

Does this work

KMart

Re: Okay, does this option work?

Postby KMart » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:27 pm

Does it work? Yeah but have you considered sitting out this cycle, getting some WE, and applying next cycle?

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:29 pm

imKMart wrote:Does it work? Yeah but have you considered sitting out this cycle, getting some WE, and applying next cycle?

This is much smarter.

hopefullaw

Postby hopefullaw » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:29 pm

imKMart wrote:Does it work? Yeah but have you considered sitting out this cycle, getting some WE, and applying next cycle?

What is getting some WE mean?

Yes I have considered, but basically I already skipped a cycle (graduated 2014).

It has sort of become an ultimatum that I cannot skip another cycle.

Now if the steps I mentioned before work and I net above a 170, skipping another cycle seems extremely trivial.

e/Oh work experience!

Bigfish41

Postby Bigfish41 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:31 pm

Why don't you just take the lsat when your PTing +-2 points of your target score. Just sit out the cycle and take it in June. Channel all your efforts on the LSAT and crush it.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:32 pm

hopefullaw wrote:

Yes I have considered, but basically I already skipped a cycle (graduated 2014).

Now if the steps I mentioned before work and I net above a 170, skipping another cycle seems extremely trivial.

e/Oh work experience!

Why does sitting out another cycle seem trivial when you obviously have the GPA for the T6?

hopefullaw

Postby hopefullaw » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:36 pm

Bigfish41 wrote:Why don't you just take the lsat when your PTing +-2 points of your target score. Just sit out the cycle and take it in June. Channel all your efforts on the LSAT and crush it.

I don't know. It's become an ultimatum almost. Because if I just wait until June that's essentially two cycles skipped (2016 is when I would start). It just scares me as a single child that I won't be out of law school till I'm 28 in 2019.

nlee10 wrote:
hopefullaw wrote:

e/Oh work experience!

Why does sitting out another cycle seem trivial when you obviously have the GPA for the T6?

Is a GPA of 3.9 that big of a deal? I thought it was basically LSAT or bust

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:37 pm

yea at 28 you're like one foot in the grave

hopefullaw

Postby hopefullaw » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:40 pm

fats provolone wrote:yea at 28 you're like one foot in the grave

I'm a single child in an Asian family.
I hate to say it as a first world problem, but my father pretty much said that I should not be trying to sit out another cycle, just go to a decent school, study law there, and work your way up. Debt or anything will be taken care of (Savings and the fact that undergrad was completely free due to my ACT).

I'm sorry if this seems completely stupid and unnecessary, but I'm really stressed out right now.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:48 pm

it's your life bro. you should probably see a therapist

srsly

hopefullaw

Postby hopefullaw » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:53 pm

fats provolone wrote:it's your life bro. you should probably see a therapist

srsly

I know and I probably should.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:55 pm

hopefullaw wrote:

srsly

your feeling is not at all uncommon. but still unhealthy.

hopefullaw

Postby hopefullaw » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:56 pm

fats provolone wrote:
hopefullaw wrote:

srsly

your feeling is not at all uncommon. but still unhealthy.

it's just that it feels I'm just wasting my life and shit and becoming a disappointment if it takes me two whole years just to get into law school when most get in right after graduation.

In a perfect world I would score extremely well in FEB and just use that to apply, but I'm worried using that FEB and June (to re-negotiate) is too late

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:02 pm

srsly

yeah dude you're like 24. who gives a fuck what your parents think. If you want to be an *actual* failure, going to law school w/ a 150 is a great place to start.
Last edited by Ron Don Volante on Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:03 pm

hopefullaw wrote:

I hate to say it as a first world problem, but my father pretty much said that I should not be trying to sit out another cycle, just go to a decent school, study law there, and work your way up. Debt or anything will be taken care of (Savings and the fact that undergrad was completely free due to my ACT).

I'm sorry if this seems completely stupid and unnecessary, but I'm really stressed out right now.

I have a feeling your parent(s) may be playing a role in your situation. Look, I'm asian too so I can understand cultural factors (if at play), but is there a reason for your dad wanting you to start law school asap? Say that you improve on the Feb lsat (from 150) and end up at a T30. Wouldn't your family be more proud had you waited just one more year and attend a T14 like Cornell?

and yes, a 3.9 is a huge deal. People screw up in college or college classes taken in hs.

SFSpartan

Postby SFSpartan » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:04 pm

The problem with taking in Feb is that you are putting yourself at a disadvantage for scholarships, which may push you into a less desirable school. I did what you are contemplating doing. If I could do it over again, I would have sat out and seen which lower T14/T20s I got into with scholarship instead of ending up at a T1.

I get trying to please your parents, but unless your mother is actually an attorney AND graduated law school post-2008, her opinion carries very little weight as she has little to no idea what the practice of law is actually like for new attorneys.

Sit out another cycle, crush the LSAT and get into a T6. Then you can really accomplish something.

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:04 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:

srsly

yeah dude you're like 24. who gives a fuck what your parents think. If you want to be an *actual* failure, going to law school w/ a 150 is a great place to start.

i'm 25

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:04 pm

i don't think it's true that most people go to ls right after college

also law school isn't an accomplishment.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:06 pm

It is really, really not an accomplishment.

hopefullaw

Postby hopefullaw » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:07 pm

nlee10 wrote:
hopefullaw wrote:

I have a feeling your parent(s) may be playing a role in your situation. Look, I'm asian too so I can understand cultural factors (if at play), but is there a reason for your dad wanting you to start law school asap? Say that you improve on the Feb lsat (from 150) and end up at a T30. Wouldn't your family be more proud had you waited just one more year and attend a T14 like Cornell?

and yes, a 3.9 is a huge deal. People screw up in college or college classes taken in hs.

I think he has the view that I need to start law school with minimal breaks otherwise it will never happen.

SFSpartan wrote:The problem with taking in Feb is that you are putting yourself at a disadvantage for scholarships, which may push you into a less desirable school. I did what you are contemplating doing. If I could do it over again, I would have sat out and seen which lower T14/T20s I got into with scholarship instead of ending up at a T1.

I get trying to please your parents, but unless your mother is actually an attorney AND graduated law school post-2008, her opinion carries very little weight as she has little to no idea what the practice of law is actually like for new attorneys.

Sit out another cycle, crush the LSAT and get into a T6. Then you can really accomplish something.

It's hard to get over the fact that I will be sitting out TWO cycles. God damn I'm fucking freaked right now.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:08 pm

hopefullaw wrote:it's just that it feels I'm just wasting my life and shit and becoming a disappointment if it takes me two whole years just to get into law school when most get in right after graduation.

Not true though.
I mean, do what you want, but applying in march is very late in the game and you will be doing yourself a disservice.
You would have way more options next cycle.

First things first, you should definitely withdraw from the December test right now. You don't want two really poor scores on your record, plus if you use another take, then you won't be able to retake in June.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:09 pm

when I meet people at parties and they say "yea I almost went to law school but I decided to do X instead" (and I hear this a lot) I am almost always impressed and want to know more. if they said "oh yea I went to LS too" I would change the subject.

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:16 pm

agree with the above. LS is not a huge accomplishment. it's kind of a cop out for most people.

if you really want to go, go nights and do something worthwhile during the day, or do better on the LSAT

hopefullaw

Postby hopefullaw » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:17 pm

alright, I removed my seat on the dec 06 deadline, all i have is my Saturday, February 08, 2014 score of 150.

I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack right now.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:20 pm

hopefullaw wrote:alright, I removed my seat on the dec 06 deadline, all i have is my Saturday, February 08, 2014 score of 150.

I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack right now.

Tbh, two months isn't really enough time to adequately study if you're basically just starting.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”