Application timing

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dirac

Application timing

Postby dirac » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:35 am

Hey folks, here is my situation: I have a LSAT score of 168 and going to retake in Feb. I have submitted most of my schools and want to try a couple of "far reach" schools, i.e. Stanford and Columbia (It is highly likely that I am going to set my money on fire, but 200 dollars for a dream is not a very bad deal). I understand that even if I score 172+ in February, submission of application by then will be too late. So I have decided to submit my application now. The question is: should I specify in the application form that I am going to retake in February or I should not mention that? I know either way has its pros and cons, but wonder which way is better. Thanks!

Rigo

Re: Application timing

Postby Rigo » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:29 pm

I would tell those two schools you'll be retaking, since you'll likely be an outright denial without a higher score.

KMart

Postby KMart » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:41 pm

Dirigo wrote:I would tell those two schools you'll be retaking, since you'll likely be an outright denial without a higher score.

180. They can find out you're retaking on their own but I'd be worried not all schools will run that report on you. Just tell them in the application and they'll likely defer your decision until the Feb score comes in. Best of luck. On the off chance your application is good enough to be accepted as-is then they'll admit you before then anyway.

dirac

Postby dirac » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:44 pm

Dirigo wrote:I would tell those two schools you'll be retaking, since you'll likely be an outright denial without a higher score.

I see. That makes sense. Thanks for your suggestion.

dirac

Postby dirac » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:45 pm

imKMart wrote:

180. They can find out you're retaking on their own but I'd be worried not all schools will run that report on you. Just tell them in the application and they'll likely defer your decision until the Feb score comes in. Best of luck. On the off chance your application is good enough to be accepted as-is then they'll admit you before then anyway.

Thank you! I will tell them that I am going to retake.

KMart

Postby KMart » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:46 pm

dirac wrote:
imKMart wrote:

Best of luck on your retake - it might even help with scholarships to the other schools.

dirac

Postby dirac » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:52 pm

imKMart wrote:
dirac wrote:
imKMart wrote:

Best of luck on your retake - it might even help with scholarships to the other schools.

Thank you! One thing I really like here is the warm people to help and encourage each other.

keosu11

Postby keosu11 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:20 am

Figured I'd hop on this rather than starting a new topic. I scored a 166 on the September test, but had been PTing in the 170s. Decided to retake in December, but my applications are ready to be sent out now. If I send them to the school is there somewhere on the LSAC application where I can ask them to hold for my December scores. I already put in the LSAT section that I have taken the December test, but I want to make sure that they do not evaluate my application without my December scores.

If not, do I call or email the admissions offices to ask them to hold?

stew0610

Postby stew0610 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:26 am

keosu11 wrote:Figured I'd hop on this rather than starting a new topic. I scored a 166 on the September test, but had been PTing in the 170s. Decided to retake in December, but my applications are ready to be sent out now. If I send them to the school is there somewhere on the LSAC application where I can ask them to hold for my December scores. I already put in the LSAT section that I have taken the December test, but I want to make sure that they do not evaluate my application without my December scores.

If not, do I call or email the admissions offices to ask them to hold?

Each school is different. Some have space to indicate on the application. If you don't see that you should email the offices and let them know/ask how they want you to send that info.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”