update LOR for re-application?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
acat10

update LOR for re-application?

Postby acat10 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:45 am

My employer sent an LOR for me last cycle. Long story short, I decided to reapply, and I asked him to update the letter for me. I figure at least he can change the date and maybe a few other minor things.

But he tells me that he can't update it because it's asking a secret question and he doesn't even remember setting one up (I was the first person he had submitted online for, yay?) He also can't upload a new letter because the old one already exists.

What should I do? Is it ok to re-use the same letter, or is it bad because he's my current employer and there's no reason why I should use an outdated letter from him? Should I ask him to contact LSAC and get his account reset or something? I don't even know if they can do that. He won't like the hassle for sure.

Rigo

Re: update LOR for re-application?

Postby Rigo » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:03 am

If the letter is only a year old, don't sweat it. Thank him again & just use the one already uploaded.

hillz

Postby hillz » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:40 am

If you're applying to the same set of schools, I would try to get him to submit a new LOR since schools usually specify that your application should have changed since the last time you applied. You've probably completed new projects and have grown over the past year at work, so he could discuss that.

If it's way too much hassle, then don't worry about it.

acat10

Postby acat10 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:41 pm

Dirigo wrote:If the letter is only a year old, don't sweat it. Thank him again & just use the one already uploaded.

hillz wrote:If you're applying to the same set of schools, I would try to get him to submit a new LOR since schools usually specify that your application should have changed since the last time you applied. You've probably completed new projects and have grown over the past year at work, so he could discuss that.

If it's way too much hassle, then don't worry about it.

Thank you both, that does make me feel better. What about schools that I didn't apply to last time but will be applying to this time? So they'd be seeing the letter for the first time. Would it look bad to them?

KMart

Postby KMart » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:03 pm

The letter is fine for new schools or old schools. Especially if it's only a year old. However, I would use an entirely new PS for the schools you've already applied to.

hillz

Postby hillz » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:09 pm

imKMart wrote:The letter is fine for new schools or old schools. Especially if it's only a year old. However, I would use an entirely new PS for the schools you've already applied to.

Some schools actually specify that they want new letters. So OP will need to check each school's requirements.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:12 pm

acat10 wrote:What about schools that I didn't apply to last time but will be applying to this time? So they'd be seeing the letter for the first time. Would it look bad to them?

Nope.

KMart

Postby KMart » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:26 pm

hillz wrote:
imKMart wrote:The letter is fine for new schools or old schools. Especially if it's only a year old. However, I would use an entirely new PS for the schools you've already applied to.

Some schools actually specify that they want new letters. So OP will need to check each school's requirements.

Interesting, I really did not know that. Then I stand corrected and thank you.

hillz

Postby hillz » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:30 pm

imKMart wrote:
hillz wrote:

Interesting, I really did not know that. Then I stand corrected and thank you.

Yeah, it's a bit odd but I have heard on TLS that a few schools do it (I haven't personally reapplied) and then the re-applicant has trouble sometimes getting new letters. But yes, definitely should send in a revised PS!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”