Advice for a noob (Engineering)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: Advice for a noob (Engineering)

Postby fats provolone » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:48 pm

fats provolone wrote:some internship advice: make a list of all the bullet points you want to put on your resume and make sure you do those things over the summer

oh and get a razor scooter asap

berkeley_eecs
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:10 pm

Re: Advice for a noob (Engineering)

Postby berkeley_eecs » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:49 pm

Yeah I took some practice ones but my spread is pretty large (timed conditions etc, 163- 168)
I know this is not worth more than a grain of salt as practice tests aren't really worth anything but rather the final score.

Is there any recommended shortcuts or is it (lsat) just like high school sat 2.0

Jchance
Posts: 588
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:17 am

Re: Advice for a noob (Engineering)

Postby Jchance » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:53 pm

K-JD IP candidate is not as strong as a candidate with 2-5 years out. Make some money with ur EE degree before law school dude, law school will always be there waiting to take your money

Alternatively, practice and take the LSAT now (over breaks/summer) and max out to at least 178. Your score is good for 5 years and you only have 3 retakes every 2 years. Better to start early on that LSAT to maximize your number of retakes.
Last edited by Jchance on Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

berkeley_eecs
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:10 pm

Re: Advice for a noob (Engineering)

Postby berkeley_eecs » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:55 pm

Hmm i thought WE and other softs only matter marginally compared to GPA/LSAT

Jchance
Posts: 588
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:17 am

Re: Advice for a noob (Engineering)

Postby Jchance » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:09 pm

berkeley_eecs wrote:Hmm i thought WE and other softs only matter marginally compared to GPA/LSAT


That's true for law school admission. But not true for attorney hiring and making partner later. Think long-term.

berkeley_eecs
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:10 pm

Re: Advice for a noob (Engineering)

Postby berkeley_eecs » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:13 pm

damn life is hard

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: Advice for a noob (Engineering)

Postby fats provolone » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:20 pm

just take some CC law classes to boost your GPA for OCI

User avatar
MistakenGenius
Posts: 825
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:18 pm

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:21 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

berkeley_eecs
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:10 pm

Re: Advice for a noob (Engineering)

Postby berkeley_eecs » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:25 pm

I'd be 20 when I enroll (finished high school early) so the best would just be to do the English major as well and get the GPA boost from that as well as CC?

What's included as an above average soft that's achievable? Not like some freaking olympic gold medal....

User avatar
checkers
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:35 am

Re: Advice for a noob (Engineering)

Postby checkers » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:28 pm

berkeley_eecs wrote:What's included as an above average soft that's achievable? Not like some freaking olympic gold medal....

Work experience

berkeley_eecs
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:10 pm

Re: Advice for a noob (Engineering)

Postby berkeley_eecs » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:29 pm

fats provolone wrote:just take some CC law classes to boost your GPA for OCI


is it wierd if LSAC calculated GPA is .2 or so maybe more higher than the GPA I get on my transcript?
OCI= on campus interview? (don't get this sorry haha i'm still learning)

berkeley_eecs
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:10 pm

Re: Advice for a noob (Engineering)

Postby berkeley_eecs » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:30 pm

checkers wrote:
berkeley_eecs wrote:What's included as an above average soft that's achievable? Not like some freaking olympic gold medal....

Work experience


I see. Are there any programs that give a 2 year deferral? I know Harvard has one but that's only for Harvard ugrads

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11942
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Advice for a noob (Engineering)

Postby Rigo » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:38 pm

No offense, but being an English major is by no means easy. It's A TON of work.

User avatar
MistakenGenius
Posts: 825
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:18 pm

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:39 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

berkeley_eecs
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:10 pm

Re: Advice for a noob (Engineering)

Postby berkeley_eecs » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:43 pm

Dirigo wrote:No offense, but being an English major is by no means easy. It's A TON of work.

You're right. But average GPA is an A- here and the average GPA for engineering is a B-

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11942
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Advice for a noob (Engineering)

Postby Rigo » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:47 pm

berkeley_eecs wrote:
Dirigo wrote:No offense, but being an English major is by no means easy. It's A TON of work.

You're right. But average GPA is an A- here and the average GPA for engineering is a B-

That's all fine and dandy, but you're talking about double majoring and taking 20+ credits a semester. Just don't bite off more than you can chew--especially as a freshman.

User avatar
Helioze
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:10 am

Re: Advice for a noob (Engineering)

Postby Helioze » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:48 pm

english avg gpa not A-

berkeley_eecs
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:10 pm

Re: Advice for a noob (Engineering)

Postby berkeley_eecs » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:48 pm

MistakenGenius wrote:
berkeley_eecs wrote:I'd be 20 when I enroll (finished high school early) so the best would just be to do the English major as well and get the GPA boost from that as well as CC?

What's included as an above average soft that's achievable? Not like some freaking olympic gold medal....


Oh my God, I don't blame you because you're getting conflicting advice, but you seem like you want a really top law school. Let me explain. Most of the posters in here did go to fine schools and should be proud of that. But things are different at the top 3 in admissions. If you want a possible shot at Yale, Stanford, and Harvard to a lesser extent, I absolutely will say DO NOT PAD YOUR GPA AT COMMUNITY COLLEGES. IT WILL HURT YOU.

I would however recommend doing the English major for the writing experience and the extra time. English isn't easy by any means but it will help you in the long run in law. Much more than engineering. Work experience is also incredibly valuable in getting a job after law school. Please do not enroll in law school before you're 21, you'll regret it the rest of your life.

Famous Olympians, Rhodes Scholars, Celebrities, Rich kids whose families have donated millions, these are all what I call super-softs. When you have one of these qualities, you can pretty much get into any school you want despite your numbers. I can't help you with those. However, if you'd like to know more about softs, how they matter, and what kinds will help you at schools, PM me. I get asked about softs needed for Yale all the time.


I see. But for CC courses they would be for english or else it would be near impossible to graduate on time without taking 25+ units.

Jchance
Posts: 588
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:17 am

Re: Advice for a noob (Engineering)

Postby Jchance » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:57 pm

berkeley_eecs wrote:even though berkeley's engineering department is well known for GPA deflation @2.77 average


If this guy sticks to EECS, he aint going to be aiming for HYS, don't worry. I highly doubt (read he has a 1-3% chance of ) he gets above a 3.7. Thus, the advice is for him to aim for non-HYS T14 at most.

This thread suffers from major snowflake syndrome of the pre-snowflake syndrome period. Get some GPA and LSAT score then come back here.
/thread

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Advice for a noob (Engineering)

Postby lhanvt13 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:59 pm

berkeley_eecs wrote:
Dirigo wrote:No offense, but being an English major is by no means easy. It's A TON of work.

You're right. But average GPA is an A- here and the average GPA for engineering is a B-

kinda understand. in our department (CS), we had 1 A, 3 A-, 5 B+, ~15B, ~20B-, 15C+, etc. most classes were 60 people ish. I know a lot of classes in english or philosophy where there would be more than 15 As. IDK about the workload but I know, at least at my school, they gave more As and didn't have a mandated curve.

berkeley_eecs
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:10 pm

Re: Advice for a noob (Engineering)

Postby berkeley_eecs » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:20 pm

Jchance wrote:
berkeley_eecs wrote:even though berkeley's engineering department is well known for GPA deflation @2.77 average


If this guy sticks to EECS, he aint going to be aiming for HYS, don't worry. I highly doubt (read he has a 1-3% chance of ) he gets above a 3.7. Thus, the advice is for him to aim for non-HYS T14 at most.

This thread suffers from major snowflake syndrome of the pre-snowflake syndrome period. Get some GPA and LSAT score then come back here.
/thread


Not aiming for HYS haha, I don't have a good grasp and understanding yet of law school so that's why I came here to gain some knowledge.

EricHosmer
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:42 am

Re: Advice for a noob (Engineering)

Postby EricHosmer » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:22 am

berkeley_eecs wrote:
Jchance wrote:
berkeley_eecs wrote:even though berkeley's engineering department is well known for GPA deflation @2.77 average


If this guy sticks to EECS, he aint going to be aiming for HYS, don't worry. I highly doubt (read he has a 1-3% chance of ) he gets above a 3.7. Thus, the advice is for him to aim for non-HYS T14 at most.

This thread suffers from major snowflake syndrome of the pre-snowflake syndrome period. Get some GPA and LSAT score then come back here.
/thread


Not aiming for HYS haha, I don't have a good grasp and understanding yet of law school so that's why I came here to gain some knowledge.


If you want some knowledge, read up on the various threads here about people who hate being a lawyer and why; understand that most legal jobs include either 60+ hour weeks or pay like shit; research alternative career routes and compare them to a legal career; and don't make every single life decision over your next 3 years solely in light of how it affects your law school chances.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: acr and 3 guests