Advice for a noob (Engineering) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fats provolone

Platinum

Re: Advice for a noob (Engineering)

Post by fats provolone » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:48 pm

fats provolone wrote:some internship advice: make a list of all the bullet points you want to put on your resume and make sure you do those things over the summer
oh and get a razor scooter asap

berkeley_eecs

New

Post by berkeley_eecs » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:49 pm

Yeah I took some practice ones but my spread is pretty large (timed conditions etc, 163- 168)
I know this is not worth more than a grain of salt as practice tests aren't really worth anything but rather the final score.

Is there any recommended shortcuts or is it (lsat) just like high school sat 2.0

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:53 pm

K-JD IP candidate is not as strong as a candidate with 2-5 years out. Make some money with ur EE degree before law school dude, law school will always be there waiting to take your money

Alternatively, practice and take the LSAT now (over breaks/summer) and max out to at least 178. Your score is good for 5 years and you only have 3 retakes every 2 years. Better to start early on that LSAT to maximize your number of retakes.
Last edited by Jchance on Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

berkeley_eecs

New

Post by berkeley_eecs » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:55 pm

Hmm i thought WE and other softs only matter marginally compared to GPA/LSAT

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:09 pm

berkeley_eecs wrote:Hmm i thought WE and other softs only matter marginally compared to GPA/LSAT
That's true for law school admission. But not true for attorney hiring and making partner later. Think long-term.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

berkeley_eecs

New

Post by berkeley_eecs » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:13 pm

damn life is hard

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:20 pm

just take some CC law classes to boost your GPA for OCI

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:21 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

berkeley_eecs

New

Post by berkeley_eecs » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:25 pm

I'd be 20 when I enroll (finished high school early) so the best would just be to do the English major as well and get the GPA boost from that as well as CC?

What's included as an above average soft that's achievable? Not like some freaking olympic gold medal....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

checkers

Bronze

Post by checkers » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:28 pm

berkeley_eecs wrote:What's included as an above average soft that's achievable? Not like some freaking olympic gold medal....
Work experience

berkeley_eecs

New

Post by berkeley_eecs » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:29 pm

fats provolone wrote:just take some CC law classes to boost your GPA for OCI
is it wierd if LSAC calculated GPA is .2 or so maybe more higher than the GPA I get on my transcript?
OCI= on campus interview? (don't get this sorry haha i'm still learning)

berkeley_eecs

New

Post by berkeley_eecs » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:30 pm

checkers wrote:
berkeley_eecs wrote:What's included as an above average soft that's achievable? Not like some freaking olympic gold medal....
Work experience
I see. Are there any programs that give a 2 year deferral? I know Harvard has one but that's only for Harvard ugrads

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:38 pm

No offense, but being an English major is by no means easy. It's A TON of work.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:39 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

berkeley_eecs

New

Post by berkeley_eecs » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:43 pm

Dirigo wrote:No offense, but being an English major is by no means easy. It's A TON of work.
You're right. But average GPA is an A- here and the average GPA for engineering is a B-

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:47 pm

berkeley_eecs wrote:
Dirigo wrote:No offense, but being an English major is by no means easy. It's A TON of work.
You're right. But average GPA is an A- here and the average GPA for engineering is a B-
That's all fine and dandy, but you're talking about double majoring and taking 20+ credits a semester. Just don't bite off more than you can chew--especially as a freshman.

Helioze

Bronze

Post by Helioze » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:48 pm

english avg gpa not A-

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

berkeley_eecs

New

Post by berkeley_eecs » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:48 pm

MistakenGenius wrote:
berkeley_eecs wrote:I'd be 20 when I enroll (finished high school early) so the best would just be to do the English major as well and get the GPA boost from that as well as CC?

What's included as an above average soft that's achievable? Not like some freaking olympic gold medal....
Oh my God, I don't blame you because you're getting conflicting advice, but you seem like you want a really top law school. Let me explain. Most of the posters in here did go to fine schools and should be proud of that. But things are different at the top 3 in admissions. If you want a possible shot at Yale, Stanford, and Harvard to a lesser extent, I absolutely will say DO NOT PAD YOUR GPA AT COMMUNITY COLLEGES. IT WILL HURT YOU.

I would however recommend doing the English major for the writing experience and the extra time. English isn't easy by any means but it will help you in the long run in law. Much more than engineering. Work experience is also incredibly valuable in getting a job after law school. Please do not enroll in law school before you're 21, you'll regret it the rest of your life.

Famous Olympians, Rhodes Scholars, Celebrities, Rich kids whose families have donated millions, these are all what I call super-softs. When you have one of these qualities, you can pretty much get into any school you want despite your numbers. I can't help you with those. However, if you'd like to know more about softs, how they matter, and what kinds will help you at schools, PM me. I get asked about softs needed for Yale all the time.
I see. But for CC courses they would be for english or else it would be near impossible to graduate on time without taking 25+ units.

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:57 pm

berkeley_eecs wrote:even though berkeley's engineering department is well known for GPA deflation @2.77 average
If this guy sticks to EECS, he aint going to be aiming for HYS, don't worry. I highly doubt (read he has a 1-3% chance of ) he gets above a 3.7. Thus, the advice is for him to aim for non-HYS T14 at most.

This thread suffers from major snowflake syndrome of the pre-snowflake syndrome period. Get some GPA and LSAT score then come back here.
/thread

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:59 pm

berkeley_eecs wrote:
kinda understand. in our department (CS), we had 1 A, 3 A-, 5 B+, ~15B, ~20B-, 15C+, etc. most classes were 60 people ish. I know a lot of classes in english or philosophy where there would be more than 15 As. IDK about the workload but I know, at least at my school, they gave more As and didn't have a mandated curve.

berkeley_eecs

New

Post by berkeley_eecs » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:20 pm

Jchance wrote:
berkeley_eecs wrote:even though berkeley's engineering department is well known for GPA deflation @2.77 average
If this guy sticks to EECS, he aint going to be aiming for HYS, don't worry. I highly doubt (read he has a 1-3% chance of ) he gets above a 3.7. Thus, the advice is for him to aim for non-HYS T14 at most.

This thread suffers from major snowflake syndrome of the pre-snowflake syndrome period. Get some GPA and LSAT score then come back here.
/thread
Not aiming for HYS haha, I don't have a good grasp and understanding yet of law school so that's why I came here to gain some knowledge.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

EricHosmer

New

Post by EricHosmer » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:22 am

berkeley_eecs wrote:
Jchance wrote:

/thread
Not aiming for HYS haha, I don't have a good grasp and understanding yet of law school so that's why I came here to gain some knowledge.
If you want some knowledge, read up on the various threads here about people who hate being a lawyer and why; understand that most legal jobs include either 60+ hour weeks or pay like shit; research alternative career routes and compare them to a legal career; and don't make every single life decision over your next 3 years solely in light of how it affects your law school chances.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”