Advice for a noob (Engineering)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
berkeley_eecs

Advice for a noob (Engineering)

Postby berkeley_eecs » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:34 pm

Hey all,

A little background about me, berkeley eecs with a maybe double major in english, freshman, no known gpa 3.5?, taking 20+ units every semester planned, may finish in 2.5 years without english, 3.5 years with

Is it possible to spam community college courses during the summer to get a higher LSAC calculated gpa? Also what's the weight given towards engineering majors with worse gpas (been getting some mixed answers ranging from no weight to "3.5 in ee is a golden ticket"

Thanks

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:51 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Review

Re: Advice for a noob (Engineering)

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:56 pm

MistakenGenius wrote:Just sit back and have fun in undergrad and come back later.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:13 pm

Re: CC courses to raise GPA. It works. I took 30 credits over my last summer and raised my GPA by .3.
Courses ranged from keyboarding ~ introductory math for engineering ~ intro calculus. FYI I have a degree in computer science and just took all the easiest math courses. Law schools don't give a damn

berkeley_eecs

Postby berkeley_eecs » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:38 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, but yeah that's what I meant by getting mixed replies. At the end of the day it wouldn't really be 'padding' my GPA as they're somewhat required courses, just far easier done at CC. So even though berkeley's engineering department is well known for GPA deflation @2.77 average and our eecs is ranked 1-3 depending where you look, they don't care? (figured IP and such would play a more favorable tone towards an electrical engineering&computer science major :? )

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:46 pm

they don't care. especially if you're sub 3.0.

berkeley_eecs

Postby berkeley_eecs » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:51 pm

I don't think that'll be a problem, it's just hitting the high 3.9's that seems pretty tough. being 3.5 places one in the top 10% already for eecs. So at the end of the day
tldr;
GPA calculations with CC courses taken is what i'm really asking

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:58 pm

If you're smart/lucky, you will actually get an engineering job and avoid law school.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:00 pm

3.0 GPA in basket weaving = 3.0 GPA in EE/CS/anything to everything. Might as well strip you resume of everything but 3 numbers: LSAT and GPA and # of work experience.

That's how law school recruiting works.

BUT your IP background helps more for dat JERB

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:01 pm

Dirigo wrote:If you're smart/lucky, you will actually get an engineering job and avoid law school.

Eng jobs suck. Go into IT consulting for Accenture or something and go into their federal practice. Make a cushy amount of cash and work 9-5

berkeley_eecs

Postby berkeley_eecs » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:05 pm

Alright I think I got the general idea of how this works now too. So if I were to take CC courses that'd be a good way to boost GPA.
So it's really just GPA and LSAT. Then what's stopping someone from going to a CC and getting a 4.0 (one that grants a bachelor's) and going hard on the LSAT and scoring a 172 vs attending a school that's known to be hard?

whitespider

Postby whitespider » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:06 pm

berkeley_eecs wrote: Then what's stopping someone from going to a CC and getting a 4.0 (one that grants a bachelor's) and going hard on the LSAT and scoring a 172 vs attending a school that's known to be hard?

Literally nothing. Some people do that.

Jchance

Postby Jchance » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:06 pm

If I was you, first, I'd spread my hard classes out over 4-5 years and make sure to ace all of them. This includes planning my semesters to take the required courses with professors, get to know upperclassmen to find out when those easy profs teach. Secondly, when you decide your path whether to go EE or CS, please for the sake of god, pick EE. In IP, EE>>CS. Third, take CC classes to pad GPA, thats the TCR. Otherwise, go drink for 4 more years then come back later.

berkeley_eecs

Postby berkeley_eecs » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:12 pm

So is there no benefit to finishing in 3 years? Also forgive me but what does TCR mean?

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:14 pm

whitespider wrote:
berkeley_eecs wrote: Then what's stopping someone from going to a CC and getting a 4.0 (one that grants a bachelor's) and going hard on the LSAT and scoring a 172 vs attending a school that's known to be hard?

except for, you know, the quality of education. gaming the system is cool but the prize at the end is that you're a lawyer which is a pretty shitty prize.

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:23 pm

fats provolone wrote:
whitespider wrote:

except for, you know, the quality of education. gaming the system is cool but the prize at the end is that you're a lawyer which is a pretty shitty prize.

That, and if the law school plan doesn't work out or you change your mind, you may be stuck with an unemployable major/degree. Personally, I think it's a terrible decision for someone not yet in college to pick a school or a major based on the assumption that he/she will apply to law schools 4+ years down the road.

berkeley_eecs

Postby berkeley_eecs » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:24 pm

well i mean i am in eecs here haha the acceptance rate was somewhat in the 7%'s
anyways does anyone know what TCR means?

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:32 pm

TLS lingo, short for "the credited response" i.e. correct answer.

EECS might negatively impact your GPA but once you get to law school, you're going to have a wider range of jobs available to you than most other law students because of that STEM degree.

EricHosmer

Postby EricHosmer » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:32 pm

berkeley_eecs wrote:well i mean i am in eecs here haha the acceptance rate was somewhat in the 7%'s

Some will tell you that TCR means "the correct response" while many others would say that TCR means "don't go to law school."

MidwestLifer

Postby MidwestLifer » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:40 pm

Anyone get the feeling this guy is REALLY proud of doing EECS at Berkeley?

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:42 pm

MidwestLifer wrote:Anyone get the feeling this guy is REALLY proud of doing EECS at Berkeley?

millenials love checking dem boxes

it is a good school though. maybe focus on class

Calvin Murphy

Postby Calvin Murphy » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:42 pm

berkeley_eecs wrote:well i mean i am in eecs here haha the acceptance rate was somewhat in the 7%'s

TCR means "The Credited Response" (the best answer, essentially).

Also, I got the impression when applying that some schools valued IP majors such that a 3.5 in EE > 3.5 in basket weaving...but I think this is relatively uncommon, and even less common or non-existent in the T14. In any case, the 'bump' is practically insignificant.

berkeley_eecs

Postby berkeley_eecs » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:45 pm

Thanks for the quick reply guys :mrgreen:
doing some number crunchy on the spreadsheets I found and with the CC route it doesn't look half bad anymore.
eecs is the best field to be in right now at least from what i've seen
(23k summer internship lined up)

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:47 pm

Hopefully they teach you how to google sophomore year.

But just focus on keeping that gpa up. If CC classes can be used for prerequisites, go for it. If you're adamant about being k-JD (going straight from undergrad to law school), I would start studying for the LSAT the summer before junior year just incase you need time for retakes, etc.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:48 pm

some internship advice: make a list of all the bullet points you want to put on your resume and make sure you do those things over the summer

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”