Best school these numbers can get a free ride at?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11947
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Best school these numbers can get a free ride at?

Postby Rigo » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:27 pm

Garth Nader wrote:Further questions:
1: Aren't this year's medians a bit skewed so far? All the first picks are in but not everybody just yet.
What schools are you interested in knowing the medians for? We know the medians for most schools even though not all the 509's have come out yet.
Check here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv? ... true&gid=9
A lot of the other info is missing but the medians are there for the most part.


2: My apps have been in for a while now--many (if not most) are under review. Does withdrawing after receiving an offer from people and reapplying next cycle hurt you? At this point they'll have already seen my apps.
No. Personal stuff comes up all the time. If they ask if you want to defer, say no.

3: What are the general rules for retaking? What happens (god forbid!) if I have slightly lower scores than 162 on the second round and for some colossally stupid reason don't catch this fact and cancel?
A lower score will not adversely affect you. You have nothing to lose by retaking.

User avatar
DCfilterDC
Posts: 2665
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Re: Best school these numbers can get a free ride at?

Postby DCfilterDC » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:51 pm

Dirigo wrote:
Garth Nader wrote:Further questions:
1: Aren't this year's medians a bit skewed so far? All the first picks are in but not everybody just yet.
What schools are you interested in knowing the medians for? We know the medians for most schools even though not all the 509's have come out yet.
Check here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv? ... true&gid=9
A lot of the other info is missing but the medians are there for the most part.


2: My apps have been in for a while now--many (if not most) are under review. Does withdrawing after receiving an offer from people and reapplying next cycle hurt you? At this point they'll have already seen my apps.
No. Personal stuff comes up all the time. If they ask if you want to defer, say no.

3: What are the general rules for retaking? What happens (god forbid!) if I have slightly lower scores than 162 on the second round and for some colossally stupid reason don't catch this fact and cancel?
A lower score will not adversely affect you. You have nothing to lose by retaking.


Random question, but you seem like someone who would know the answer, are these medians the accepted medians or the matriculating medians? I would imagine if they're the matriculating medians, than for most schools other than HYS, the accepted medians are actually higher.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11947
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Best school these numbers can get a free ride at?

Postby Rigo » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:53 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
Garth Nader wrote:Further questions:
1: Aren't this year's medians a bit skewed so far? All the first picks are in but not everybody just yet.
What schools are you interested in knowing the medians for? We know the medians for most schools even though not all the 509's have come out yet.
Check here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv? ... true&gid=9
A lot of the other info is missing but the medians are there for the most part.


2: My apps have been in for a while now--many (if not most) are under review. Does withdrawing after receiving an offer from people and reapplying next cycle hurt you? At this point they'll have already seen my apps.
No. Personal stuff comes up all the time. If they ask if you want to defer, say no.

3: What are the general rules for retaking? What happens (god forbid!) if I have slightly lower scores than 162 on the second round and for some colossally stupid reason don't catch this fact and cancel?
A lower score will not adversely affect you. You have nothing to lose by retaking.


Random question, but you seem like someone who would know the answer, are these medians the accepted medians or the matriculating medians? I would imagine if they're the matriculating medians, than for most schools other than HYS, the accepted medians are actually higher.

They're the matriculating medians.

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Best school these numbers can get a free ride at?

Postby sparty99 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:09 pm

THese threads are getting annoying. Everyone knows the answer is retake....

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: Best school these numbers can get a free ride at?

Postby twenty » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:10 pm

sparty99 wrote:THese threads are getting annoying. Everyone knows the answer is retake....


Or write an addendum.

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Best school these numbers can get a free ride at?

Postby sparty99 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:16 pm

twenty wrote:
sparty99 wrote:THese threads are getting annoying. Everyone knows the answer is retake....


Or write an addendum.


Don't do it.

Garth Nader
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:23 am

Re: Best school these numbers can get a free ride at?

Postby Garth Nader » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:12 am

Sorry to bump a slightly dying thread:


Because of scheduling issues I can't really study or prep for next year's June exam. Bearing in mind that I can start prep in early August of 2015 (traveling extensively) is it better to prep for ~2 months at a high intensity for the October LSAT or to prep a full 3+ months for the December test?

In addition, I'll be able to do some preliminary diagnostic work this January/February and some sustaining practice in the months after that. However doubt that this practice will fully stick but it will at least build some skills on LG. So how bad is the December test for your chances at the T14 (cautiously assuming an increase of 3-6 points and a 3.7--that aint changing)? FWW, I'd be targeting Penn and Cornell in that scenario.

BigZuck
Posts: 10859
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Best school these numbers can get a free ride at?

Postby BigZuck » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:15 am

Garth Nader wrote:Sorry to bump a slightly dying thread:


Because of scheduling issues I can't really study or prep for next year's June exam. Bearing in mind that I can start prep in early August of 2015 (traveling extensively) is it better to prep for ~2 months at a high intensity for the October LSAT or to prep a full 3+ months for the December test?

In addition, I'll be able to do some preliminary diagnostic work this January/February and some sustaining practice in the months after that. However doubt that this practice will fully stick but it will at least build some skills on LG. So how bad is the December test for your chances at the T14 (cautiously assuming an increase of 3-6 points and a 3.7--that aint changing)? FWW, I'd be targeting Penn and Cornell in that scenario.


December isn't too late, just take it when you'll get the highest score (meaning applying with a 169 in December>>>>>>>>>>168 in October)

AReasonableMan
Posts: 1504
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: Best school these numbers can get a free ride at?

Postby AReasonableMan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:40 am

BigZuck wrote:
Garth Nader wrote:Sorry to bump a slightly dying thread:


Because of scheduling issues I can't really study or prep for next year's June exam. Bearing in mind that I can start prep in early August of 2015 (traveling extensively) is it better to prep for ~2 months at a high intensity for the October LSAT or to prep a full 3+ months for the December test?

In addition, I'll be able to do some preliminary diagnostic work this January/February and some sustaining practice in the months after that. However doubt that this practice will fully stick but it will at least build some skills on LG. So how bad is the December test for your chances at the T14 (cautiously assuming an increase of 3-6 points and a 3.7--that aint changing)? FWW, I'd be targeting Penn and Cornell in that scenario.


December isn't too late, just take it when you'll get the highest score (meaning applying with a 169 in December>>>>>>>>>>168 in October)

This really depends on medians. There are instances where one point makes no difference. As a general matter, every point is huge.

BigZuck
Posts: 10859
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Best school these numbers can get a free ride at?

Postby BigZuck » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:09 am

AReasonableMan wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Garth Nader wrote:Sorry to bump a slightly dying thread:


Because of scheduling issues I can't really study or prep for next year's June exam. Bearing in mind that I can start prep in early August of 2015 (traveling extensively) is it better to prep for ~2 months at a high intensity for the October LSAT or to prep a full 3+ months for the December test?

In addition, I'll be able to do some preliminary diagnostic work this January/February and some sustaining practice in the months after that. However doubt that this practice will fully stick but it will at least build some skills on LG. So how bad is the December test for your chances at the T14 (cautiously assuming an increase of 3-6 points and a 3.7--that aint changing)? FWW, I'd be targeting Penn and Cornell in that scenario.


December isn't too late, just take it when you'll get the highest score (meaning applying with a 169 in December>>>>>>>>>>168 in October)

This really depends on medians. There are instances where one point makes no difference. As a general matter, every point is huge.


Obvi




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], MichiganHoosier, MSNbot Media and 5 guests