Whether to Re-take and When to Apply (162 and 3.65) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
branflakes630

New

Whether to Re-take and When to Apply (162 and 3.65)

Post by branflakes630 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:40 pm

The question here is basically whether or not to re-take the February LSAT and when to apply to the two schools I am looking into

So my LSAT Score is a 162, GPA 3.65 from UMD. Looking to get into
-UMD Carey School of Law (Median 3.53 GPA and 159 LSAT)
-George Washington ( LSAT 167 and GPA 3.60)

As a given, lets just say IF I were to retake the LSAT in February, then I would get a 166.

Would it be worth waiting to apply to UMD and/or GW until after these scores?
Should I apply to UMD now and GWU after taking again?
Should I just apply to UMD and say forget GW and re-taking that super fun exam? For UMD

I'm worried about losing grants/scholarships for my poor (my opinion) performance and for GW I'm worried about admissions (also somewhat wasting my time if the debt/effort isn't worth it over going to UMD and living at home). I would love some input on what I should do. Thank you so much!

twenty

Gold

Re: Whether to Re-take and When to Apply (162 and 3.65)

Post by twenty » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:21 pm

UMD will give you a 50/50 shot at actually being a practicing attorney in three years. http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/maryland/2013/

GWU will give you a (roughly) 60/40 shot at actually being a practicing attorney in three years.
http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/gw/

Both schools will end up coming out roughly the same. UMD has massively cut their class sizes, while GWU has massively increased theirs. Neither school will, in all likelihood, get you biglaw.

You're at the 75th LSAT (probably above this cycle's median), and sneaking up on the 75th GPA at UMD. While I deviate from many on TLS in this regard, I'd retake (as best you can), negotiate UMD up to a full ride, live with your parents (rent free?) and have literally zero student loan debt when you graduate. I wouldn't go to GWU on less than a full ride.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:03 pm

GWU's medians are 165/3.71.
I don't know what data you're working off of.

I would definitely retake, even if that means you have to sit out the cycle and apply early next year.
Also, we would need to know your career goals before we decide whether either of these schools is a good option for you.

If you retake and boost your LSAT by several points, you'll be competitive for GW's ED which comes with a full-ride scholarship. That is some damn good motivation to retake and apply next cycle.

branflakes630

New

Post by branflakes630 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:25 pm

Thank you both so much for the input, I honestly found it helpful. It would be rent free. On the career goals side, I'm not really quite sure yet to be honest. I have an accounting background and not so sure I want to stick with it. I enjoyed my legal classes at college, I dunno. Would it be better if I re-take in February to just apply next cycle?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:30 pm

branflakes630 wrote:Would it be better if I re-take in February to just apply next cycle?
Personally, I would just to maximize opportunities. However, schools may be super desperate this cycle (very likely they'll be just as desperate if not moreso next cycle too though). If you are dead-set on applying this cycle, I would apply now but let reach schools (GWU) know you're retaking.

Especially since you're unsure exactly which direction you want to go in, you should really shoot for top schools where you will have the most opportunities. Maryland would definitely limit your opportunities. Unless you'd be comfortable working at a small firm for ~$40-50k/yr then I would avoid matriculating there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:31 pm

branflakes630 wrote:Thank you both so much for the input, I honestly found it helpful. It would be rent free. On the career goals side, I'm not really quite sure yet to be honest. I have an accounting background and not so sure I want to stick with it. I enjoyed my legal classes at college, I dunno. Would it be better if I re-take in February to just apply next cycle?
Depends also where you'd like to practice for the rest of your life. I'd retake and get some WE. I know it's a pain, but the WE will only help your application and a lower score doesn't really hurt. Best of luck OP.

Applying now and letting them know you're retaking is not a bad idea either. They may admit you before the retake and the boosted score would only help when talking about scholarships.

branflakes630

New

Post by branflakes630 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:58 pm

Yeah, that is what I will do. Re-take in February, Apply now, let schools know I am re-taking. I can always apply next cycle to other schools that are not in the area, which actually works quite perfectly because my reasons for staying in Maryland will basically be gone and manageable at that point. (It's a girl. Justsoyouallknow. But before you say anything, she's coming all the way from China to come to grad school here, (who knows what percentage is for school and what percentage is for me) and it would be a dick move if a few months after she gets here I leave to another state) Man. What a productive day at work it was today. Awesome. Thank you all again.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”