Jump Ship Dec. for Feb? Post political campaign studying...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tayaz2015

Jump Ship Dec. for Feb? Post political campaign studying...

Postby Tayaz2015 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:57 am

I'm currently scoring around 163-165 on every PT I take after about 3 weeks of studying. I know I can improve my score with a little more time and I'm confident that I can score over 170 with some improvement on LG's. Definitely doable. Just not in one week.

I got a late start on studying because I recently ran for the state senate and was busy with the campaign. Raised a lot of money and was endorsed by the Governor and both US Senators but ended up losing the race and decided it's time to attend law school. I have a 3.85 GPA and 3 years work experience for US Congressman and State Chamber.

So will I have a chance for late admit for a T14 or is that out the window if I move to Feb? If I take it in December and again in Feb. will it hurt me in the process? Do they still average scores or take the best one?

I'm set to attend my local school (ASU) with my current score, gpa, and contacts but I have my heart set on HYS and feel like it is possible if I can get the score up.

Appreciate your advice!

twenty

Re: Jump Ship Dec. for Feb? Post political campaign studying...

Postby twenty » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:59 am

Tayaz2015 wrote:I got a late start on studying because I recently ran for the state senate and was busy with the campaign. Raised a lot of money and was endorsed by the Governor and both US Senators but ended up losing the race and decided it's time to attend law school. I have a 3.85 GPA and 3 years work experience for US Congressman and State Chamber

:roll:

Also, don't take the LSAT until you're PTing at 170+. Sit out a year if you have to. Your GPA is good enough to get you into Harvard if that's what you want, but you need the LSAT score to go with it.

Tayaz2015

Postby Tayaz2015 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:10 am

twenty wrote:
Tayaz2015 wrote:I got a late start on studying because I recently ran for the state senate and was busy with the campaign. Raised a lot of money and was endorsed by the Governor and both US Senators but ended up losing the race and decided it's time to attend law school. I have a 3.85 GPA and 3 years work experience for US Congressman and State Chamber

:roll:

Also, don't take the LSAT until you're PTing at 170+. Sit out a year if you have to. Your GPA is good enough to get you into Harvard if that's what you want, but you need the LSAT score to go with it.

Thanks. Do you think there's any chance of HYS this cycle if I score 170+ this Feb and have the rest of my apps all turned in before then?

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:12 am

Sure, but late apps with a 170+ > early apps with less than a 170+.

hillz

Postby hillz » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:21 am

Agree with twenty.

If you've really only been studying for a few weeks, you could potentially score well into the 170s if you give prepping the time it deserves. Feb is usually not a good time to apply for T14 schools, with the exception of Y. I personally would rather just wait another year than know that I did get in to some schools and not others and without scholarships that could have been there if I had just applied earlier. Getting more work experience and making sure that law school is for you during this next year is not a bad idea.

Tayaz2015

Postby Tayaz2015 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:19 pm

Thanks hillz and twenty. I would much rather get in this cycle but I realize I came very late in the game so it may not be possible. I feel like February gives me enough time to study if I go hard until then. Do you agree?

hillz

Postby hillz » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:24 pm

Yes, you definitely have enough time if you crack down starting today. There's a lot of helpful advice in the LSAT forum on here and you should join the Feb study group if you haven't already. Being a member of a group helped motivate me a lot.

Tayaz2015

Postby Tayaz2015 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:27 pm

hillz wrote:Yes, you definitely have enough time if you crack down starting today. There's a lot of helpful advice in the LSAT forum on here and you should join the Feb study group if you haven't already. Being a member of a group helped motivate me a lot.

Thank you! I really appreciate the advice.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”