(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
appind

Postby appind » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:57 am

Last edited by appind on Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

bluchai

Re: app question

Postby bluchai » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:00 am

appind wrote:Some silly questions as i am working on my first app.
How negative is a 1-1.5 year gap a few years ago? I had a job for a few months during the gap period, but it's not a job I am most proud of, and the gap period is aligned so that if I don't mention the months, it doesn't show as any gap in the resume. So I left it out on the resume. But on the employer info section, one has to list months, and not sure if one could leave a job out. If I leave it out, the gap period becomes striking. good idea to leave the job out?

The employment info section of H application doesn't provide facility to list the one employer where one held two different positions as a single entry. any standard approach to handle this?

There is an EC activity part in the same section. Is one expected to provide only current ECs or all ECs ever? For someone with long work history this section can grow pretty large, and the app doesn't really state only current activities.

I did all ECs ever. I didn't do a lot in college but I would put emphasis on the current, professional ones. I guess it depends on what you did and the value you put on them.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm sure a lot of people will have a "gap period" and I don't think it would be that bad if you leave it out. But I'm sure someone else may disagree.

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:06 am

The employment section of the LS apps usually say list all employment. So I did, and so you should.

The resume on the other hand, I stuck with my work resume (tailored for my industry) for most of the 8 schools I applied to this week. On that resume I have jobs that not related off my employment section. I most certainly put them all in the application employment section, no matter how short or 'unflattering' they can seem. Some wanted academic associations, honors, non academic associations, etc. For many of those apps, there were places to specifically put them in the application. Some however asked I put them on my resume. So I did, and so you should.

Since I switched positions at two different employers I stopped my employment at the indicated date/position and added the same employer back under the new date/position (on the app). My resume is a functional type, so the change in job titles were all related.

For the schools that wanted leadership positions and the like I took my resume's format and just listed these various academic and non-academic positions as titles, and described the activity in the points.

This is what I did at least, seemed like the thing to do at the time. Would you like to see what I'm talking about?

appind

Postby appind » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:50 am

Last edited by appind on Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:14 am

IF English isn't your native language you may run into TOEFL issues, I'm unsure.
Internship=for some kind of college credit.

The section says "list all employment incl internships" but should leaving out a short term employer be an issue?

appind

Postby appind » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:21 pm

There is no toefl issue in ls admissions, one only takes lsat. The question was about bilinguals with native ability in english but the first language they learnt is non english

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:27 pm

appind wrote:what's the wisdom on native language for bilinguals; does mentioning a non-english native language somehow hurt the app?

I listed my native language under the 'personal' section. Can't see how that would hurt your application. Duke is the only top 20 school I know of that requires the TOEFL; other schools take it to be sufficient that you do well on the LSAT.

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:49 pm

If you are still multilingual and still speak that other language you learned first, then listing so will only help you imo. I learned Dutch growing up at the same time I learned English due to fact of me basically being partially raised by Dutch sisters from age 1-7. My native language is still English. My family did not learn the language so I have lost most of it having no need to practice after we moved back stateside. Hell my German is passable in conversation and I am learning Mandarin at my school but I do not consider myself multilingual.

You might be getting confused on definitions again. Native = language you were raised with. You have fluency in English, but that wasn't your native language from what I can read.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:28 pm

Hand knows Dutch too! He even wears wooden clogs!

Also, don't sweat the gap. I have a pretty size able gap in employment in my resume from traveling and figuring my life and self out.
As for the job, is it really that unsavory?

Gray

Postby Gray » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:35 pm

Dirigo wrote:Hand knows Dutch too! He even wears wooden clogs!

Also, don't sweat the gap. I have a pretty size able gap in employment in my resume from traveling and figuring my life and self out.
As for the job, is it really that unsavory?

I'm suuuper curious what the job is. Even something really terrible could show adcomms that you've worked hard to get to where you are today?

Also when it comes to languages, "Native Fluency" is absolutely an appropriate way to describe second language proficiency if your grammar and accent is indistinguishable from a native speaker.

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:15 pm

Nederlands is een prachtige taal, daar moet je wat mee doen!

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:09 pm

That is true, but one can talk with much more "umph" in German.

appind

Postby appind » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:36 pm

Last edited by appind on Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:08 pm

app, good luck to you.

Gray

Postby Gray » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:03 pm

hey app

I used to do pre-employment background checks, and I can tell you that we always asked for the official payroll/HR title. Any discrepancy was considered a red flag unless the person verifying it in HR could confirm that the titles were used interchangeably at the company.

appind

Postby appind » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:40 am

I'm done filled all EC sections on the app, but haven't completed the employment section which is probably more important
are the "hours per week" and "reason for leaving" for fields typically filled in? I have had multiple full time jobs and there is no set hours per week for such jobs. one has to basically work to get the job done no matter hours. no way to really guesstimate these numbers.
how is a planned lay off viewed as a reason for leaving? can one leave these field empty as they are optional?

"List academic honors and awards, or other recognitions you have received"
It covers dean's list, latin honors etc but it seems recognitions can include things professional and not just academic. would research assistantship, financial aids, tuition waiver, publications, professional recognition belong in this section?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:01 pm

Just put 40 for hour (or 40+ if they let you) - it's a synonym for "full time" and that's really all they want to know. And put "planned lay off" for reason leaving. It doesn't matter. Adcomms recognize that people with significant full-time work experience have had a variety of experiences. They just want to make sure you weren't fired for embezzling funds or the like.

appind

Postby appind » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:22 pm

Last edited by appind on Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:47 pm

App, do you know how your questions sound to people? You're asking if you can lie or omit and get away with it...if you think that's okay well, fine.

appind

Postby appind » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:50 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:App, do you know how your questions sound to people? You're asking if you can lie or omit and get away with it...if you think that's okay well, fine.

unnecessary. did you even comprehend the post or have work ex? do you mention every little detail in an app when the field is not mandatory?
Last edited by appind on Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:53 pm

Edited by request.
Last edited by RCSOB657 on Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

appind

Postby appind » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:02 pm

Last edited by appind on Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:07 pm

appind wrote:
RCSOB657 wrote:App, do you know how your questions sound to people? You're asking if you can lie or omit and get away with it...if you think that's okay well, fine.

unnecessary. did you even comprehend the post or have work ex? do you mention every little detail in an app when the field is not mandatory?

Only 66 months out of the last 108 were full time. 27 (about 13 of these were still part time) were in school, leaving the balance either part time or not working for whatever reason.

FWIW, I think details such as why someone left a job are generally seen as needed information even if not "asterisked" on your law school application. YMMW, but my comment was directly related as to how you asked your question (which I highlighted above).

Indeed, good luck to you. I've done nothing but try to help you.

appind

Postby appind » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:18 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:FWIW, I think details such as why someone left a job are generally seen as needed information even if not "asterisked" on your law school application. YMMW, but my comment was directly related as to how you asked your question (which I highlighted above).

And you know that because you know it all or because you sat on admissions committee or someone told you. It's stupid and unnecessary to go on forum accusing others.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:37 pm

I mean, if schools ask about such things in their applications, they presumably want to know what you've actually done with your life, or they wouldn't bother putting the questions on the application. It does sound like you're looking for justification for omitting information schools ask for. But if you really don't want to answer, don't answer. Only you can decide whether putting hours/reason left is going to look worse than not giving the info. (Why are the hours you worked a problem if you worked full-time? It doesn't matter.)

And again, unless you've been fired for embezzling company funds or maybe sexist/racist comments, schools aren't going to care - they know people leave jobs for a whole bunch of reasons. Saying you left for another opportunity does not have a negative connotation (why would it?).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”