How to write a Successful Addendum for low LSAT scores

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Rigo

Re: How to write a Successful Addendum for low LSAT scores

Postby Rigo » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:36 pm

bluchai wrote:
Dirigo wrote:Also, nearly everybody at TTT's has poor standardized test performances--but not for reasons you can spin into an addendum. Their ability just isn't there.

Don't force a square into a circle. Law school probably isn't for you.

I erase the corners and edges of squares and draw circles in their place all the time, and will continue to do so.

Explain your situation, please.

bpeck

Postby bpeck » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:22 pm

bluchai wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:OP are you actually going to bother applying with scores like that? An addendum doesn't matter 99 times out of 100. You need to score much much much better to make law school even close to a reasonable idea, regardless of your circumstances.

Also, a 139 is a truly awful score. If you write an addendum implying that you actually put in effort to get that score, that's probably going to make it more of a negative, honestly.

I don't understand how one can conceivably score that low without randomly bubbling during each and every section. Really, when someone says they scored that low on a diagnostic or even the actual test, I don't believe it.

I am busting my butt trying to get ready for the December sitting of the LSAT again, and still only PTing at or around 150 with extensive class and PT'ing. I also studied by myself for that 139, clearly that didn't work.

bpeck

Postby bpeck » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:26 pm

Dirigo wrote:Also, nearly everybody at TTT's has poor standardized test performances--but not for reasons you can spin into an addendum. Their ability just isn't there.

I'm not quite sure I understand the strong correlation your making between being good at taking standardized tests and becoming an attorney. YES I understand better ranked schools give one a better chance at actually practicing law, and YES I understand that one shouldn't go to said lower ranked law schools due to money issues (no scholarships, high debt, etc) , however, I do not understand how a low LSAT score correlates that law school isn't for me.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:39 pm

bpeck wrote: I do not understand how a low LSAT score correlates that law school isn't for me.

You just said it yourself. A low LSAT score = a bad school at high cost = a low chance of practicing law plus insane debt = a crappy situation. Law school probably isn't for you because going to law school would put you in a horrible situation. It's pretty straightforward.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:41 pm

bpeck wrote:

I'm not quite sure I understand the strong correlation your making between being good at taking standardized tests and becoming an attorney. YES I understand better ranked schools give one a better chance at actually practicing law, and YES I understand that one shouldn't go to said lower ranked law schools due to money issues (no scholarships, high debt, etc) , however, I do not understand how a low LSAT score correlates that law school isn't for me.

Because the schools you'll pull with a 150 carry less than a coin flip's chance of you passing the bar. You still haven't given us your GPA.
Law school grades are based on a single four hour test at the end of the semester.
Then there's the bar exam--a standardized test. There is a strong correlation between LSAT performance to 1L grades to bar exam performance.
So yeah, a low LSAT score makes law school not a good idea. For anyone.

I wish you well in December and hope you exceed your expectations. However, just be aware of the obstacles you'll face. Going to law school despite all these red flags could very well be life-ruining. You are very unlikely to pay off your $200k loans.

bpeck

Postby bpeck » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:49 pm

Dirigo wrote:
bpeck wrote:

Because the schools you'll pull with a 150 carry less than a coin flip's chance of you passing the bar. You still haven't given us your GPA.
Law school grades are based on a single four hour test at the end of the semester.
Then there's the bar exam--a standardized test. There is a strong correlation between LSAT performance to 1L grades to bar exam performance.

I wish you well in December and hope you exceed your expectations. However, just be aware of the obstacles you'll face. Going to law school despite all these red flags could very well be life-ruining. You are very unlikely to pay off your $200k loans.

I have a 3.6 GPA in the Honors college at my university, I was hoping that the Honors college part would hold more weight, but at this point, I'm thinking its not.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:54 pm

bpeck wrote:I have a 3.6 GPA in the Honors college at my university, I was hoping that the Honors college part would hold more weight, but at this point, I'm thinking its not.

That's a decent gpa. Good for you.
Unfortunately, all that really matters is the number. If you do end up writing that addendum, feel free to mention your gpa in the context of the honors program.

I'm sorry if you feel I'm being tough on you. I think a lot of people foolishly rush into law school with rose-colored glasses on and then end up in awful financial situations wishing they had heeded warnings.

bluchai

Postby bluchai » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:15 pm

bpeck wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
bpeck wrote:

I have a 3.6 GPA in the Honors college at my university, I was hoping that the Honors college part would hold more weight, but at this point, I'm thinking its not.

A lot of people apply who are in the honors college at universities. My understanding is that honors colleges set students apart in that they have to write a thesis and take supposedly harder courses, although a lot of people who apply write theses regardless. I don't think it holds any weight, and the thesis doesn't either unless it is published in a reputable journal with you as the solo author (if humanities).

bpeck

Postby bpeck » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:21 pm

Dirigo wrote:
bpeck wrote:I have a 3.6 GPA in the Honors college at my university, I was hoping that the Honors college part would hold more weight, but at this point, I'm thinking its not.

That's a decent gpa. Good for you.
Unfortunately, all that really matters is the number. If you do end up writing that addendum, feel free to mention your gpa in the context of the honors program.

I'm sorry if you feel I'm being tough on you. I think a lot of people foolishly rush into law school with rose-colored glasses on and then end up in awful financial situations wishing they had heeded warnings.

Its alright! I guess I will just have to prep as much as I can before Dec 6th, and then see where it goes from there. Thanks for your help.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:25 pm

what level of undergrad are we talking about here

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:37 pm

If you can't get over whatever your issue is with standardized tests you'll never pass the bar. Gotta figure that stuff out now.

bpeck

Postby bpeck » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:59 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:what level of undergrad are we talking about here

I'm not quite sure what I understand what you meant by "level," do you mean the level of the institution? I go to a private school in a city in the Northeast (not Boston).

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:05 pm

bpeck wrote:

I'm not quite sure what I understand what you meant by "level," do you mean the level of the institution? I go to a private school in a city in the Northeast (not Boston).

If you're still in undergrad, take as many classes as you can.

bpeck

Postby bpeck » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:07 pm

nlee10 wrote:
bpeck wrote:

Do you think its a good idea to submit applications and then submit new grades for the fall semester while its still being reviewed?

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:31 pm

bpeck wrote:
nlee10 wrote:
bpeck wrote:

Do you think its a good idea to submit applications and then submit new grades for the fall semester while its still being reviewed?

There's literally no point in submitting applications with a 139. You're just wasting the application fees. I'm not sure you appreciate how important the LSAT is. This one test is literally more important than four years of undergrad, and right now your LSAT is atrocious. You have a 3.6; you're clearly not stupid. You need to mentally write this cycle off and get cracking on the LSAT. I'm not trying to make you feel bad, but I am trying to let you know that at this moment you are nowhere close where you need to be. You need something like a 25-30 point increase to make this a worthwhile endeavor. Good luck.

How do you plan to pay for law school?

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:23 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
There's literally no point in submitting applications with a 139. You're just wasting the application fees. I'm not sure you appreciate how important the LSAT is. This one test is literally more important than four years of undergrad, and right now your LSAT is atrocious. You have a 3.6; you're clearly not stupid. You need to mentally write this cycle off and get cracking on the LSAT. I'm not trying to make you feel bad, but I am trying to let you know that at this moment you are nowhere close where you need to be. You need something like a 25-30 point increase to make this a worthwhile endeavor. Good luck.

How do you plan to pay for law school?

Sup mang?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”