How to write a Successful Addendum for low LSAT scores

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bpeck

How to write a Successful Addendum for low LSAT scores

Postby bpeck » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:27 am

Hi! So I have a history of low standardized test scores my SAT's were a 1340 (out of 2400) , and I wish to show this through an addendum. How might I go about this to make sure it comes across strong and not whiney? I received a 139 on my first LSAT and planing on re-taking this December , but still only scoring around 150 with extensive prep.

I plan on applying to:
1-Northeastern
2-Boston College
3-Suffolk

Thank you!

imacpa

Re: How to write a Successful Addendum for low LSAT scores

Postby imacpa » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:56 am

An addendum would be helpful although it's no guarantee that it will get you into those schools. From personal experience, I wrote up an addendum to my LSAT score when I applied. I addressed it head on but I didn't make any excuses because honestly I didn't have one. However, I countered my relatively low LSAT by highlighting some of my successes from my military career as well as my own professional career. I think it's important to at least highlight something in your background that will show potential for success or overcoming adversity. I think it worked for me because obviously I got admitted.

Best wishes to you on the LSAT. Personally, an improved LSAT score will definitely help you more than an addedum.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:00 am

here we go

bpeck

Postby bpeck » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:02 am

imacpa wrote:An addendum would be helpful although it's no guarantee that it will get you into those schools. From personal experience, I wrote up an addendum to my LSAT score when I applied. I addressed it head on but I didn't make any excuses because honestly I didn't have one. However, I countered my relatively low LSAT by highlighting some of my successes from my military career as well as my own professional career. I think it's important to at least highlight something in your background that will show potential for success or overcoming adversity. I think it worked for me because obviously I got admitted.

Best wishes to you on the LSAT. Personally, an improved LSAT score will definitely help you more than an addedum.

May I ask where you were accepted?

imacpa

Postby imacpa » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:21 pm

I didn't seek to get into any law schools in the top 30 because my scores overall were not competitive enough. Instead, I applied and got accepted into a couple of regional state law schools in the Midwest with both schools having a median LSAT score of 155.

banjo

Postby banjo » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Bored in class:

Standardized test scores have not been an accurate indicator of my academic potential. I scored a 1340 out of 2400 on the SAT, well below the average at _________, but earned a ______ GPA (top ___%) in a challenging program of study and won ______ award for my research on ______. My recommenders speak to my analytical ability and contributions in the classroom, and my work experience at _______, where I ________, highlights my work ethic and attention to detail.

Just a staring point.

bluchai

Postby bluchai » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:18 pm

banjo wrote:Bored in class:

Standardized test scores have not been an accurate indicator of my academic potential. I scored a 1340 out of 2400 on the SAT, well below the average at _________, but earned a ______ GPA (top ___%) in a challenging program of study and won ______ award for my research on ______. My recommenders speak to my analytical ability and contributions in the classroom, and my work experience at _______, where I ________, highlights my work ethic and attention to detail.

Just a staring point.

Also have CollegeBoard mail you your archived SAT scores from high school so you can attach a copy to your addendum. Otherwise, they won't take the letter seriously. If you are demonstrating your SAT score was lower than whatever college program you enrolled in, provide proof of their admissions profile for the year you were accepted.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:31 pm

OP are you actually going to bother applying with scores like that? An addendum doesn't matter 99 times out of 100. You need to score much much much better to make law school even close to a reasonable idea, regardless of your circumstances.

Also, a 139 is a truly awful score. If you write an addendum implying that you actually put in effort to get that score, that's probably going to make it more of a negative, honestly.

bluchai

Postby bluchai » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:37 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:OP are you actually going to bother applying with scores like that? An addendum doesn't matter 99 times out of 100. You need to score much much much better to make law school even close to a reasonable idea, regardless of your circumstances.

Also, a 139 is a truly awful score. If you write an addendum implying that you actually put in effort to get that score, that's probably going to make it more of a negative, honestly.

I don't understand how one can conceivably score that low without randomly bubbling during each and every section. Really, when someone says they scored that low on a diagnostic or even the actual test, I don't believe it.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:47 pm

How are these super low test scores not indicative of your ability?
Having a low SAT score doesn't in and of itself mean anything. Your scores have to be clear outliers amongst otherwise high achievement. What's your GPA?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:54 pm

Retake the LSAT duder, right now you're disqualified from being a lawyer and that's the only way you can change that.

dontdoitkid

Postby dontdoitkid » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:32 pm

Definitely retake, IMO the addendum will probably just hurt you more.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:34 pm

OP, do you have the GI Bill or rich parents offering to pay 100% of your law school costs? Northeastern and Suffolk aren't worth attending even if free, frankly (For example, only 35% of Suffolk grads actually get jobs as lawyers. Northeastern isn't much better at 45%. Why would you waste three years of your life at a school that's unlikely to get you a JD required job, let alone a good job?) Boston College is a decent school, but it would still be retarded to go at anything close to sticker.

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:54 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:OP, do you have the GI Bill or rich parents offering to pay 100% of your law school costs? Northeastern and Suffolk aren't worth attending even if free, frankly (For example, only 35% of Suffolk grads actually get jobs as lawyers. Northeastern isn't much better at 45%. Why would you waste three years of your life at a school that's unlikely to get you a JD required job, let alone a good job?) Boston College is a decent school, but it would still be retarded to go at anything close to sticker.

YOU DUMB DILDO!

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:55 pm

oh hai

bluchai

Postby bluchai » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:58 pm

BigZuck wrote:Retake the LSAT duder, right now you're disqualified from being a lawyer and that's the only way you can change that.

Someone claimed several years ago that they got into Tulane with a 139.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:59 pm

bluchai wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:OP are you actually going to bother applying with scores like that? An addendum doesn't matter 99 times out of 100. You need to score much much much better to make law school even close to a reasonable idea, regardless of your circumstances.

I don't understand how one can conceivably score that low without randomly bubbling during each and every section. Really, when someone says they scored that low on a diagnostic or even the actual test, I don't believe it.

Believable on a diagnostic? It's possible. However, I wouldn't believe if it were an actual test. Some people for whatever reason may not be conditioned for the LSAT. I took my diag over the summer and scored a 136...I'm now PT'ing in the 161-163 range in hopes of hitting 166+ in Feb. It can be done.

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:01 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:oh hai

;-)

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:06 pm

everything above.

also, 99% of the time, the idea of writing an addendum for a low LSAT score is at once appealing and extremely misguided.

people spend many months, sometimes years, preparing for the LSAT, and it figures massively in the admissions process. how successful do you think a few paragraphs (equal to a few hours of work, let's say) could possibly be in offsetting such a major problem?

people go to great lengths to explain low LSAT scores (family emergency, personal idiosyncrasy, illness, etc.), but the bottom line is, nobody really cares. you either score well and are competitive or you don't. if you don't, whatever factors may have led to that happening frankly don't matter. (furthermore, you always have the option to try again.)

addenda can work for smaller issues, but not the LSAT. it's simply too big and important to be explained away in this manner.

if you did EXTREMELY well in college and did poorly on the SAT, then you've got something of an argument. perhaps for you, standardized tests are only weakly predictive of you academic ability. i would describe your comparative performance in UG in both GPA and SAT scores in this case.

however, don't expect this to budge your application much at all, for all the above reasons.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:09 pm

bluchai wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Retake the LSAT duder, right now you're disqualified from being a lawyer and that's the only way you can change that.

Someone claimed several years ago that they got into Tulane with a 139.

The OP might get into some schools too. Still disqualified. Too expensive to attend and chances of getting a worthwhile job are too remote.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:09 pm

I'm surprised Sparty hasn't yet weighed in/foamed at the mouth.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:25 pm

He might be on a timeout from the last thread still.

Auxilio

Postby Auxilio » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:39 pm

How do you feel you will do when trying to pass the bar given your history?

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:27 pm

Also, nearly everybody at TTT's has poor standardized test performances--but not for reasons you can spin into an addendum. Their ability just isn't there.

Don't force a square into a circle. Law school probably isn't for you.

bluchai

Postby bluchai » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:35 pm

Dirigo wrote:Also, nearly everybody at TTT's has poor standardized test performances--but not for reasons you can spin into an addendum. Their ability just isn't there.

Don't force a square into a circle. Law school probably isn't for you.

I erase the corners and edges of squares and draw circles in their place all the time, and will continue to do so.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”