THIS IS HOW YOU CAN SUCCEED WITHOUT BEING A TRY-HARD

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
UnicornHunter

Re: THIS IS HOW YOU CAN SUCCEED WITHOUT BEING A TRY-HARD

Postby UnicornHunter » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:32 am

bluchai wrote:
Also, explain how my local TTT has a bar passage rate in the 40-45% range.

Inputs and outputs man. People aren't passing the bar at a higher rate from good schools because they're better prepared for it (in fact, a lot of top schools will teach law in a way that actively hinders you on the bar) but because they are, as a group, better test takers.

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:32 am

ManoftheHour wrote:
bluchai wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
bluchai wrote:1. No. TTT = low value education. I care about getting a good quality education, and will prioritize quality over the price.
2. You are so full of shit. Publications got me the job I have now and I make a good $10K more than the other similar-majored grads from my school. I live on my own and I paid off $29K of student loans in 2 years. With my humanities degree.

To be fair, you'll get a similar education at a TTT as you would at any other school. Job placement? That's an entirely different story...

Can you explain? Because my coworkers who went to the better school in this city are apparently way more educated than I am, and I chose $$$ over quality. I think it was a mistake. I feel very much inferior.

Yeah. It's a general consensus that to become a law professor, you were probably an academic all star of some kind (who WOULDN'T want to be a law professor. It's a really sweet gig). So the quality of professors and lectures aren't that far apart from schools. The difference is the student body. People that get into Harvard/Stanford/Yale tend to be smarter more hardworking than people who go to TTTs. Of course, there are definitely exceptions.

So people that got into HYS are generally going to be passing the bar at a higher rate than people that attended TTTs. But it's not as if people at TTTs aren't getting a "quality legal education."

ETA: To be clear, I am NOT advocating going to a TTT over higher ranked schools. I'm just saying that the quality of education you receive at every school is similar. There is a huge difference in job placements and quality of jobs upon graduation.

good post. very true.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:34 am

scrowell wrote:
nlee10 wrote:So which school did you go to?

i will tell u if u can guess

Chapman? UoP? SCU? Southwestern? Whittier?

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:37 am

nlee10 wrote:
scrowell wrote:
nlee10 wrote:So which school did you go to?

i will tell u if u can guess

Chapman? UoP? SCU? Southwestern? Whittier?

:shock: :shock: :shock: one of those is correct!

bluchai

Postby bluchai » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:37 am

TheUnicornHunter wrote:
bluchai wrote:

Inputs and outputs man. People aren't passing the bar at a higher rate from good schools because they're better prepared for it (in fact, a lot of top schools will teach law in a way that actively hinders you on the bar) but because they are, as a group, better test takers.

I think in the case of my local TTT, they really aren't teaching them anything. The local, newly graduated lawyers here don't know shit, and took the bar 3 or 4 times until they passed. You can only take it 5 times here.

This doesn't sound too nonsensical though.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:38 am

you're not wrong. what you're missing is that the top law schools don't teach anything either.

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:38 am

bluchai wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:
bluchai wrote:

I think in the case of my local TTT, they really aren't teaching them anything. The local, newly graduated lawyers here don't know shit, and took the bar 3 or 4 times until they passed. You can only take it 5 times here.

are you a 0L? you do realize every ABA school teaches the same subjects, right?

TTTT = lower IQ people = more bar failures.

bluchai

Postby bluchai » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:39 am

fats provolone wrote:you're not wrong. what you're missing is that the top law schools don't teach anything either.

I'm going to shag you if you don't shut up. You present yourself to be highly attractive.

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:40 am

bluchai wrote:
fats provolone wrote:you're not wrong. what you're missing is that the top law schools don't teach anything either.

I'm going to shag you if you don't shut up. You present yourself to be highly attractive.

shall we shag now or shall we shag later?

bluchai

Postby bluchai » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:41 am

scrowell wrote:
bluchai wrote:

I wasn't talking to you. You don't peddle my favorite cheese.

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:43 am

bluchai wrote:
scrowell wrote:
bluchai wrote:

I wasn't talking to you. You don't peddle my favorite cheese.

munster, or JACK cheddar?

bluchai

Postby bluchai » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:44 am

scrowell wrote:
bluchai wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:
bluchai wrote:

are you a 0L? you do realize every ABA school teaches the same subjects, right?

TTTT = lower IQ people = more bar failures.

I'm more worried about the curriculum being dumbed down to accommodate for the people you are talking about. I had a hard enough time getting and securing a job from a shit undergrad. I don't want to do the same with law school.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:48 am

bluchai wrote:Also, explain how my local TTT has a bar passage rate in the 40-45% range.

That's shocking. Normally administration encourages/pushes weak students to drop out after first semester or 1L in order to protect their bar passage rates.
Draw them in as 0Ls to get them to matriculate and reel in that federal loan-backed tuition money. Then dump them to maintain "prestige" so new lemmings come flocking the next year.

(Edited to fix typo)
Last edited by Rigo on Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:50 am

bluchai wrote:I'm more worried about the curriculum being dumbed down to accommodate for the people you are talking about. I had a hard enough time getting and securing a job from a shit undergrad. I don't want to do the same with law school.

You don't have to worry about that. It's really not going to be that much different. Actually, at TTTTs, they tend to flunk and kick out the bottom % of their class to protect their bar passage rates. If anything, true TTTTs probably teach stuff that will be on the bar more seriously than like Yale.

ETA: Scooped.

bluchai

Postby bluchai » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:51 am

Dirigo wrote:
bluchai wrote:Also, explain how my local TTT has a bar passage rate in the 40-45% range.

That's shocking. Normally administration encourages/pushes weak students to drop out after first semester or 1L in order to protect their bar passage rates.
Draw them in as 0Ls to get them to matriculate and real that federal loan-backed tuition money. Then dump them to maintain "prestige" so new lemmings come flocking the next year.

Not when your school is part of a regional board where they must keep their Hispanic percentage at a certain rate. Did I just out myself? Good.

Encouraging them to drop out would be racist.

The fact that someone I knew got into a TTTT in Boston and dropped out and said it was "too hard" and transferred over here and says it's "much easier" says some interesting things.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:55 am

bluchai wrote:
Dirigo wrote:

Draw them in as 0Ls to get them to matriculate and real that federal loan-backed tuition money. Then dump them to maintain "prestige" so new lemmings come flocking the next year.

Not when your school is part of a regional board where they must keep their Hispanic percentage at a certain rate. Did I just out myself? Good.

The fact that someone I knew got into a TTTT in Boston and dropped out and said it was "too hard" and transferred over here and says it's "much easier" says some interesting things.

This is so confusing to me. What school has racial quota mandates?
In general, encouraging people to drop out is not racist. Law schools are pragmatic. They try to get rid of those with the lowest 1L grades.

bluchai

Postby bluchai » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:58 am

Dirigo wrote:
bluchai wrote:
Dirigo wrote:

This is so confusing to me. What school has racial quota mandates?
In general, encouraging people to drop out is not racist. Law schools are pragmatic. They try to get rid of those with the lowest 1L grades.

My school is part of a regional board. To be a member institution, your school has to have a certain minimum of its population at all schools (undergrad, law, grad, etc.) be Hispanic. If the minimum is not reached or if it is not surpassed at certain levels, the school loses funding incentives. This was communicated to me by several professors from different departments after I graduated.

The school also does not give out $$$. Why the hell do I want to be $210K in debt at that goddamn school where I was told that my enrollment as an Asian American was an obstacle to "inclusive education"?

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:02 am

Wait you're taking in $200k worth of debt for a TTT/unaccredited law school with a coin flip chance of even passing the bar? Fix it Jesus.

bluchai

Postby bluchai » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:06 am

Dirigo wrote:Wait you're taking in $200k worth of debt for a TTT/unaccredited law school with a coin flip chance of even passing the bar? Fix it Jesus.

I don't go to that law school. I went to the shit undergrad and recently paid off the $29K in loans I took out to attend shit undergrad. The good undergrad would have left me $72K in debt and at the time I was stupid and thought it didn't matter where you went to school. It apparently does.

It is ABA accredited but it is not ranked by US News. And the bar passage rate is that bad. But all they do is talk about serving minorities, serving minorities, serving minorities. A lot of these minorities are affluent too. You know my advisor in one of my major's departments was surprised I was a scholarship recipient? She was scornful. She asked me why I couldn't just use my daddy's mil. benefits, because my dad's the white one but no one ever identifies me as Caucasian.

I'm sorry for ranting. Just, that institution makes me want to flip a coffee table.

And I don't want to fix the school. I want it gone.

utahraptor

Postby utahraptor » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:16 am

scrowell wrote:
utahraptor wrote:
scrowell wrote:
utahraptor wrote:OP what's your salary?

6 figs

but what's your salary?

i don't like to discuss such things amongst friends

great, so I'm sure you'll share it with us

scrowell