THIS IS HOW YOU CAN SUCCEED WITHOUT BEING A TRY-HARD

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TheSpanishMain

Re: THIS IS HOW YOU CAN SUCCEED WITHOUT BEING A TRY-HARD

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:28 pm

How are your classmates doing?

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:56 pm

jepper wrote:
scrowell wrote:
bk1 wrote:OP reads like "how to be the most boring person possible" while also giving out plenty of bad advice.

Lol u mean good advice?

Short lifting sesh, bro

also did some bicep curls. 35 dumbells 3x10

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:57 pm

utahraptor wrote:OP what's your salary?

6 figs

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:57 pm

bluchai wrote:Please go suck a chode.

no thanks. why the hostility?

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:58 pm

Flips88 wrote:You're the heroin addict dude, right?

no, drugs are bad.

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:58 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:How are your classmates doing?

don't know about most of them. got one an interview at my company today. we'll see what happens.

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:00 pm

RZ5646 wrote:You lost me at "Don't worry about the LSAT. I didn't study much and got in the 150s."

Lol there's a reason this site is called Top Law Schools and not Shitty Regional Schools for People Who Are Too Lazy To Study For The LSAT And / Or Unintelligent.

Also, the STEM major circlejerk is good advice but getting really tedious. It's nothing we haven't all heard a million times before. We get it: life sucks, do something boring that will make money instead of being happy, pray for a quick death sooner than later, etc.

Want to start mediocrelawschools.com with me? i think we'll make lots of money.

utahraptor

Postby utahraptor » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:01 pm

scrowell wrote:

6 figs

but what's your salary?

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:03 pm

hopefully not in a red state. god hates figs

bluchai

Postby bluchai » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:04 pm

scrowell wrote:See title. This method worked for me. This thread will break down how to approach academic/professional life starting with college. Try it!

4. go for as cheaply as possible to the best school you can. Don't be a prestige whore (ex. go to a TTT with good $ rather than a T1 with nothing).
5. don't do journals/clubs/etc. complete waste of time. do employers care if you wrote an article on some crap no one cares about? NO!

Law School

1. No. TTT = low value education. I care about getting a good quality education, and will prioritize quality over the price.
2. You are so full of shit. Publications got me the job I have now and I make a good $10K more than the other similar-majored grads from my school. I live on my own and I paid off $29K of student loans in 2 years. With my humanities degree.

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:04 pm

Last edited by mist4bison on Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:05 pm

Why the fuck would you do a STEM type major in UG if the goal is not to be a try-hard. The appropriate method is do a liberal arts major, enjoy your college experience, get a good but not great GPA and then put in work on the LSAT. Doing well on the LSAT is like the biggest payoff to least effort thing you can imagine. If you do that, you don't have to worry about try-hard shit like finding a job that pays 1L summer and keeping your grades up 2L, because OCI so who cares.

Basically, you can coast and enjoy 6 years of your life (UG+2and3L) if you just work hard on the LSAT and 1L. But then at the very end you still have to be a lawyer, so in many ways it doesn't matter how you play the game, you lose once you start.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:08 pm

scrowell wrote:

Lol nope but I hope lots of people follow your LSAT advice next cycle so there's less competition when I apply.

bluchai

Postby bluchai » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:10 pm

RZ5646 wrote:
scrowell wrote:

Lol nope but I hope lots of people follow your LSAT advice next cycle so there's less competition when I apply.

There are people who would believe him.

Reminds me of the kid with the 154 who thought he would be a shoo-in at GULC because he's Catholic.

musedreverie

Postby musedreverie » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:58 pm

scrowell wrote:See title. This method worked for me. This thread will break down how to approach academic/professional life starting with college. Try it!

I too, like to live dangerously, but what you're recommending is a suicide.

You seem like a nice guy, so I don't want to sound too harsh, but don't give any more advice.

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:28 pm

pretty obvious troll, huh?

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:47 pm

bluchai wrote:1. No. TTT = low value education. I care about getting a good quality education, and will prioritize quality over the price.
2. You are so full of shit. Publications got me the job I have now and I make a good $10K more than the other similar-majored grads from my school. I live on my own and I paid off $29K of student loans in 2 years. With my humanities degree.

To be fair, you'll get a similar education at a TTT as you would at any other school. Job placement? That's an entirely different story...

bluchai

Postby bluchai » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:02 am

ManoftheHour wrote:
bluchai wrote:1. No. TTT = low value education. I care about getting a good quality education, and will prioritize quality over the price.

To be fair, you'll get a similar education at a TTT as you would at any other school. Job placement? That's an entirely different story...

Can you explain? Because my coworkers who went to the better school in this city are apparently way more educated than I am, and I chose $$$ over quality. I think it was a mistake. I feel very much inferior.

Also, explain how my local TTT has a bar passage rate in the 40-45% range.
Last edited by bluchai on Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:03 am

lipstick on a pig

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:22 am

So which school did you go to?

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:24 am

bluchai wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:

Can you explain? Because my coworkers who went to the better school in this city are apparently way more educated than I am, and I chose $$$ over quality. I think it was a mistake. I feel very much inferior.

Also, explain how my local TTT has a bar passage rate in the 40-45% range.

Yeah. It's a general consensus that to become a law professor, you were probably an academic all star of some kind (who WOULDN'T want to be a law professor. It's a really sweet gig). So the quality of professors and lectures aren't that far apart from schools. The difference is the student body. People that get into Harvard/Stanford/Yale tend to be smarter more hardworking than people who go to TTTs. Of course, there are definitely exceptions.

So people that got into HYS are generally going to be passing the bar at a higher rate than people that attended TTTs. But it's not as if people at TTTs aren't getting a "quality legal education."

ETA: To be clear, I am NOT advocating going to a TTT over higher ranked schools. I'm just saying that the quality of education you receive at every school is similar. There is a huge difference in job placements and quality of jobs upon graduation.

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:28 am

utahraptor wrote:
scrowell wrote:

6 figs

but what's your salary?

i don't like to discuss such things amongst friends

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:31 am

bluchai wrote:

4. go for as cheaply as possible to the best school you can. Don't be a prestige whore (ex. go to a TTT with good $ rather than a T1 with nothing).
5. don't do journals/clubs/etc. complete waste of time. do employers care if you wrote an article on some crap no one cares about? NO!

Law School

1. No. TTT = low value education. I care about getting a good quality education, and will prioritize quality over the price.

i don't think u and i could be bros

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:32 am

nlee10 wrote:So which school did you go to?

i will tell u if u can guess

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”