Two Silly Questions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JFO1833

Two Silly Questions

Postby JFO1833 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:02 pm

Two hopefully quick and silly questions.

1. For one school I attended my LSAC calculated GPA does not match the one on the school's transcript. Which one should go in the "list of schools attended" section in the individual applications?

2. Some schools request information about high school. I was part of a program that did not assign GPAs in high school. Should I include an explanation of this in an addendum?

dasani13

Re: Two Silly Questions

Postby dasani13 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:53 pm

JFO1833 wrote:Two hopefully quick and silly questions.

1. For one school I attended my LSAC calculated GPA does not match the one on the school's transcript. Which one should go in the "list of schools attended" section in the individual applications?

2. Some schools request information about high school. I was part of a program that did not assign GPAs in high school. Should I include an explanation of this in an addendum?

1. I wondered the same thing when I started apps and decided on using my actual ug GPA since my apps (in that specific section) didn't specifically mention "LSAC GPA"

2. An addendum for a hs GPA doesn't sound right but I've never heard of/read about a situation like yours on here so not sure about this one
Last edited by dasani13 on Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gentlemanscholar

Postby gentlemanscholar » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:54 pm

1. I doubt it matters much. I would use the one the school calculated; it is not uncommon for LSAC GPAs to differ from undergrad GPA.

2. uhhhh High school GPA shouldn't matter here. If there is a place for it on the App just put N/A. It doesn't warrant an addendum.

SPerez

Postby SPerez » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:34 pm

I would put the GPA that's on your transcript, but you can't go wrong either way. I don't know why an Adcom would look at anything but your LSAC report to find out your GPA, anyway. (The only time I might ever do it was if there was a big discrepancy where I couldn't see how the math worked out, suggesting possible dishonesty.)

Don't worry about high school GPA. My guess is that you're referring to the group of questions asking you to list all the schools you attended. This is a standard set of questions created by LSAC that, I believe, pretty much every school has elected to included rather than creating their own. We can't pick and choose which ones in a group to include or leave out. Now, if that's NOT the case and a school is asking the question elsewhere in the application it could very well be a question specific to that school so I would answer it best I could. I can see, for example, a school having a scholarship that is earmarked for graduates of a particular high school that graduated in the top percentage of the class. (Donors can be crazy specific with their gifts.)

Dean Perez
Texas Tech Law

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”