Should I try to raise my UGPA to match my LSAC GPA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Sed13

Should I try to raise my UGPA to match my LSAC GPA?

Postby Sed13 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:48 pm

My LSAC GPA (around 3.86) is higher then my UGPA by around .1 due to CC classes taken concurrently. I would like make my application competitive at HYS. I see on these forums that many people say that Law schools only look at the LSAC Gpa but I was wondering if it makes sense for me to retake one freshman class at my college during my final semester which will raise my UGPA about .6 points and might make my LSAC gpa seem less like a fluke. I have tried searching these forums but have not seen a discussion of how top schools view such a substantial difference between LSAC gpa and UGPA if the LSAC gpa is significantly higher; I fear they may discredit the application for having a low uGPA but they may also not like seeing a senior year retake of a freshman course. Please advise and thank you.

RCSOB657

Re: Should I try to raise my UGPA to match my LSAC GPA?

Postby RCSOB657 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:55 pm

When you graduate, I would assume your LGPA will be updated to reflect whatever changes occurred? In my case, the difference is because LSAC calculates repeated classes in addition to originals. My school on the other hand, just uses the 2nd take for GPA purposes.

I have a 0.04 difference between my real overall GPA and my LGPA.

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:57 pm

Won't matter. Admissions see slight discrepencies between ugpa and lsac gpa on almost every application. They only care about the lsac gpa, which, in your case, is in good shape

Kratos

Postby Kratos » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:05 pm

Doesn't matter at all. Do whatever you want.

Sed13

Postby Sed13 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:25 pm

Good catch Mallaeus, I meant raise my ugpa .06. RCSOB, yes, my transcript would be updated to reflect the retake but because lsac would keep the original grade and the new one, the retake would not greatly impact the lsac gpa, it would just raise the ugpa on my transcript by around .06. I know Admissions see differences between the two but I thought that a difference of .1 might be a bit significant. Thank you everyone for the advice so far.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:29 pm

Sed13 wrote:Good catch Mallaeus, I meant raise my ugpa .06. RCSOB, yes, my transcript would be updated to reflect the retake but because lsac would keep the original grade and the new one, the retake would not greatly impact the lsac gpa, it would just raise the ugpa on my transcript by around .06. I know Admissions see differences between the two but I thought that a difference of .1 might be a bit significant. Thank you everyone for the advice so far.

I deleted my post before you posted because I realized you must have meant .06 rather than .6 :). But yeah, the above is correct. Adcoms totally ignore a true analysis of what a UGPA means because they only report LSAC UGPAs. So they care zero percent that your UGPA is slightly lower.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”