To write an addendum or not to write an addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
crolsen0304

To write an addendum or not to write an addendum

Postby crolsen0304 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:41 pm

So I took the LSAT twice and while I improved 5 points from the first test to the second, I still did not score as high as I needed to. So my dilemma is should I write a LSAT addendum as to why I did poorly or let for my 5 point increase speak for itself. I've heard that I could do it both ways and was hoping I could get some insight from people on here. Thanks :D

Mr. Elshal

Re: To write an addendum or not to write an addendum

Postby Mr. Elshal » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:43 pm

crolsen0304 wrote:So I took the LSAT twice and while I improved 5 points from the first test to the second, I still did not score as high as I needed to. So my dilemma is should I write a LSAT addendum as to why I did poorly or let for my 5 point increase speak for itself. I've heard that I could do it both ways and was hoping I could get some insight from people on here. Thanks :D

What would your addendum say? It's one thing if the addendum says that a close family member passed away a week before the first test, so you did poorly but registered for another, thinking you'd be alright, but then you still couldn't focus and did poorly again. It's a whole other thing to say that you just had an off day. If you're closer to the former, write an addendum. If closer to the latter, do not. If somewhere in between, tell us what happened and we can advise.

crolsen0304

Postby crolsen0304 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:49 pm

Well at the time of the first test I was right in the middle of my summer semester so I had a mid-term the day before and the monday after the Saturday exam. And the same situation occurred when I took the second. However I dedicated more time to studying for the second exam. My academics are extremely important to me and I'm not willing to let my grades slip over the LSAT.

Also I know this is not a good enough excuse but I do not test well when it comes to standardized tests.

Kratos

Postby Kratos » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:00 pm

Probably won't make a difference. I wouldn't use the i had a test the day before excuse, that sounds more like whining.

What was your score? How did you study? I would suggest taking some time after UG to really dedicate to studying.

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:25 pm

crolsen0304 wrote:Well at the time of the first test I was right in the middle of my summer semester so I had a mid-term the day before and the monday after the Saturday exam. And the same situation occurred when I took the second. However I dedicated more time to studying for the second exam. My academics are extremely important to me and I'm not willing to let my grades slip over the LSAT.

Also I know this is not a good enough excuse but I do not test well when it comes to standardized tests.

I'm really not following. In the final weeks of a proper LSAT study schedule, someone should ideally be able to ace the exam without a week of studying. All of your fundamentals should be in place long before then. I highly doubt that those few days you weren't able to study for the test had any impact on your score.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:27 pm

Just retake and get an even better score.

Kratos

Postby Kratos » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:57 pm

Seoulless wrote:
crolsen0304 wrote:Well at the time of the first test I was right in the middle of my summer semester so I had a mid-term the day before and the monday after the Saturday exam. And the same situation occurred when I took the second. However I dedicated more time to studying for the second exam. My academics are extremely important to me and I'm not willing to let my grades slip over the LSAT.

I'm really not following. In the final weeks of a proper LSAT study schedule, someone should ideally be able to ace the exam without a week of studying. All of your fundamentals should be in place long before then. I highly doubt that those few days you weren't able to study for the test had any impact on your score.

If you're mind is focused on other shit or your really fucking stressed out its obviously possible to underperform, go away.

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:58 pm

If your mind is focused on other stuff (that is of your own making) and are really stressed out, then you did not study properly. Mental discipline is an essential part of getting a high score. If his mom was dying of terminal cancer, I'd understand. If you did not budget your time properly in undergrad - in this case beginning your studies for your exams with sufficient time to have a clear mind for the lsat - then it's inexcusable.
Last edited by BillsFan9907 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kratos

Postby Kratos » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:08 pm

Seoulless wrote:
Kratos wrote:
Seoulless wrote:If you're mind is focused on other shit or your really fucking stressed out its obviously possible to underperform, go away.

If your mind is focused on other shit (that is of your own making) and are really stressed out, then you did not study properly. Mental discipline is an essential part of getting a high score. If his mom was dying of terminal cancer, I'd understand. If you did not budget your time properly in undergrad - in this case beginning your studies for your exams with sufficient time to have a clear mind for the lsat - then it's inexcusable.

You're rationale is grade-A Cooley thinking.

To the OP - I'm sorry that you underperformed on the LSAT. Your excuse will not be looked upon kindly by admissions officers. Retaking and waiting a cycle might be your best option. Do you really want to broadcast that you had/have poor time management skills? I don't mean to be harsh, and you can contact me privately so I can prove to you that I know what I am talking about (I have your best interest at heart). If you do decide to retake, I will be happy to help you, especially when it comes to better budgeting your time.

Haha what?

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:23 pm

Sorry man - thought u were the OP!!!!
Last edited by BillsFan9907 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kratos

Postby Kratos » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:14 pm

Seoulless wrote:Sorry man. Forgot that I have to tone it done for Cooley level comprehension.

Haha you're a fucking 0L. You talking shit is hilarious since you know fucking nothing about anything. You're advice here and everywhere is worthless.

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:29 pm

PMed
Last edited by BillsFan9907 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:04 am, edited 5 times in total.

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:30 pm

I don't think admissions officers will see that as addendum-worthy. If you're really not satisfied with your score, I would recommend that you retake. Spend a significant amount of time studying, and schedule it for a date when you don't have exams. I had the problem with midterms conflicting with my LSAT, so I cancelled it and rescheduled for the summer. Also, there's no harm in taking some more time before going to law school, if you can find something worthwhile to do in the meantime (other than studying for the LSAT). If you feel these scores are not representative of your ability, don't settle. Try again and earn what you believe you deserve. I wish you lots of luck and hope you can improve enough to get into the school you want.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:43 pm

Seoulless wrote:

The ironing are delicious.

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:44 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I need someone to spellcheck my android spell checking. You want to?
Last edited by BillsFan9907 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kratos

Postby Kratos » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:52 pm

Seoulless wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
Seoulless wrote:

I think you probably just need to kill yourself.

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:58 pm

Jesus man, why would you say that?

solitarymatch

Postby solitarymatch » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:13 pm

Let me be frank with you.

You are weak. "My academics are extremely important to me and I'm not willing to let my grades slip over the LSAT."

Your GPA will not compensate for your LSAT.

I'm sorry but you sound like many of the entitled classmates I attended college with who think that wanting something really bad substitutes acquiring the qualifying credentials to be considered for that something you want really, really bad. If there was no instance of extreme or unusual hardship around this time, your addendum, I think, would be dishonest.

Bravo

Postby Bravo » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:25 pm

Kratos wrote:
Seoulless wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
Seoulless wrote:

I think you probably just need to kill yourself.

I know this is probably just a joke, but please don't say things like this. It is extremely inappropriate and insensitive. Stupid people have the right to live too.

solitarymatch

Postby solitarymatch » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:29 pm

Bravo wrote:

I know this is probably just a joke, but please don't say things like this. It is extremely inappropriate and insensitive. Stupid people have the right to live too.

You're not stupid if you have the capacity to write an addendum intended for extenuating circumstances if there was really no extenuating circumstance, which is what I am gathering. "I had an exam. Boo fucking hoo. It's just not fairrrrrr!" This is conniving.

I'm not saying this person does not have the right to live. I'm saying this person isn't stupid.

Kratos

Postby Kratos » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:32 pm

solitarymatch wrote:

Let me be frank with you.

You are weak. "My academics are extremely important to me and I'm not willing to let my grades slip over the LSAT."

Your GPA will not compensate for your LSAT.

I'm sorry but you sound like many of the entitled classmates I attended college with who think that wanting something really bad substitutes acquiring the qualifying credentials to be considered for that something you want really, really bad. If there was no instance of extreme or unusual hardship around this time, your addendum, I think, would be dishonest.

Haha what are you talking about?

OP, focus on your keeping you GPA up for the rest of UG, you can't retake UG. Then put a lot of focus into the LSAT until you get the score you want/need.

Kratos

Postby Kratos » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:35 pm

Seoulless wrote:Jesus man, why would you say that?

I was just offering you some advice
solitarymatch wrote:You're not stupid if you have the capacity to write an addendum intended for extenuating circumstances if there was really no extenuating circumstance, which is what I am gathering. "I had an exam. Boo fucking hoo. It's just not fairrrrrr!" This is conniving.

I'm not saying this person does not have the right to live. I'm saying this person isn't stupid.

Dude what is wrong with you.

banjo

Postby banjo » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:42 pm

solitarymatch wrote:
Bravo wrote:

You're not stupid if you have the capacity to write an addendum intended for extenuating circumstances if there was really no extenuating circumstance, which is what I am gathering. "I had an exam. Boo fucking hoo. It's just not fairrrrrr!" This is conniving.

What is even going on here

Agree that addendum isn't necessary here, retake might be a good idea, time off could be worthwhile, and keep up your grades while you can.

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:12 pm

Kratos wrote:
Seoulless wrote:Jesus man, why would you say that?

I was just offering you some advice
solitarymatch wrote:You're not stupid if you have the capacity to write an addendum intended for extenuating circumstances if there was really no extenuating circumstance, which is what I am gathering. "I had an exam. Boo fucking hoo. It's just not fairrrrrr!" This is conniving.

Dude what is wrong with you.

Why is that appropriate advice?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:40 am

Kratos wrote:I think you probably just need to kill yourself.

Yeah, avoid "kill self" comments in the on-topics. It's not appropriate here. Besides, if you really want to insult someone's post, you've got to be able to come up with something more creative than "kill yourself."

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”