Fee Waiver Question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lurkerneedshelp

New

Fee Waiver Question

Post by lurkerneedshelp » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:23 pm

This is not a big deal and it is just something about which I am curious. I recently received a fee waiver from Vandy and UMich.

My LSATs are 165, 164, 162 in that order and just received the waivers after the last score.

My question is do you think they want me to apply so they can deny me and increase selectivity?

Gonna apply anyway, but just wondering. Thanks

ballcaps

Silver

Re: Fee Waiver Question

Post by ballcaps » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:35 pm

TCR is that fee waivers correlate not at all to admissions chances, and that yes, many schools send them out willy-nilly to increase the number of applicants, and therefore their selectivity (all in service of their USNWR rankings.)

pmacob

New

Post by pmacob » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:39 pm

Ballcaps is correct.

However, in regards to your chances at those two schools, it depends on your GPA. There were people accepted to both schools in the last two cycles with 164s and 165s, they just had high GPAs (3.75+). If you are a URM, then that LSAT score is very good in regards to your chances.

Even if your GPA is high, however, your chances are slim. More kids were rejected than accepted with similar LSAT scores than yours, but since you only have to pay the $28 reporting fee for each school, it's a low-cost move, and at worse they reject you. Doesn't really hurt to apply, so why not give it a shot? Good luck!

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:20 am

To have some idea of what your chances are, plug your numbers into here:

http://mylsn.info/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”