Application Question: "Applying to Other Law Schools?"

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Liz_Lemon

Application Question: "Applying to Other Law Schools?"

Postby Liz_Lemon » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:54 pm

On Fordham's application, it asks "Indicate the name of any law school to which you have applied in the past, are now applying to, or intend to apply to in the future. If additional space is needed please make use of an attachment labeled "Additional Law Schools." Please select the school from drop down list below."

Anybody else feel nervous about listing all the schools you're planning to apply to? How are you planning to approach this? Just listing everything? Other schools have asked for a list of other law schools, but most offer a comment box instead of the drop-down format.

If this question has been addressed elsewhere, I would appreciate anyone who could point me in the right direction.

RCSOB657

Re: Application Question: "Applying to Other Law Schools?"

Postby RCSOB657 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:05 pm

It's on most of the apps I've started. At first I was going to write, "...considering my numbers and background preclude my application from being directly yes/no...as well as since we are in a time and economic situation...it would be imperative for me to apply to a range of schools...blah list (in no particular order)." Then I erased that and just listed in numerical order the schools I am thinking of applying to in the order in which I think I might be accepted. Most of the boxes only give 500 character spaces for that list, which could be anywhere from 10-15 schools depending on if you abbreviate U/Col

hillz

Postby hillz » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:08 pm

Don't worry about this part. They don't use it for admissions - it's a data piece they will use later on to think about their applicants in general. If you are forced to select schools from a dropdown, then just pick a few that you are applying to. If it's a blank and you have the option of not putting anything, don't do it. And you definitely don't need to write an explanation about why you are applying to other schools.

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:14 pm

I think this would probably be a good question for Mr. Spivey. I could see where it would be beneficial to leave it blank, but I can also see how that could be lying on the application for not truthfully answering that question.

hillz

Postby hillz » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:14 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:I think this would probably be a good question for Mr. Spivey. I could see where it would be beneficial to leave it blank, but I can also see how that could be lying on the application for not truthfully answering that question.

It's not lying. If the question is not required/starred, you don't have to complete it.

hillz

Postby hillz » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:15 pm

Lying would be if you actually wrote in "I am not applying to any other law schools. You are my first and only choice" when you are actually applying to 20 other schools.

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:17 pm

hillz wrote:
RCSOB657 wrote:I think this would probably be a good question for Mr. Spivey. I could see where it would be beneficial to leave it blank, but I can also see how that could be lying on the application for not truthfully answering that question.

It's not lying. If the question is not required/starred, you don't have to complete it.

That is a good point I will see if mine are starred. If it is and I omit the list I am applying to, I do not see how that wouldn't be lying?

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:33 pm

Liz, they aren't starred on my apps. What Hill says is a good point. I do not know what to tell you, neither do I know what I will do with mine now.

Liz_Lemon

Postby Liz_Lemon » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:36 pm

Confusing, right?

On most schools, where it's optional, I was planning to leave it blank. Fordham is the only one I've encountered so far where it's mandatory, and therefore feels misleading to not provide any other information.

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:41 pm

There's a Fordham c/o 2018 thread, ask what those people did. Maybe that will help.

Postby 03152016 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:45 pm

i bet it's a yield protection thing
if i was an ad comm and had two applicants with identical above median numbers
one who applied to bc and notre dame
one who applied to cornell and cardozo
who do you think i'm going to choose

i wouldn't lie about schools already applied to
but i'd probably not "intend" to apply to the full sweep of schools in fordham's range until after the app was out

or, better yet, you could not apply to fordham at all

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:37 pm

It is purely for marketing purposes, for schools to see who their competitors are and gauge how best to sell the school and to whom. It has nothing to do with your application. Answer it or don't, it won't make a difference.

Postby 03152016 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:23 pm

is that definitely established? tbh it sounds like a reasonable explanation, esp at top schools

otoh, that information seems pretty seriously valuable in evaluating whether a student is going to actually attend
seems like it would establish a student's regional interests
and indicate whether they're just blanketing every school in a certain usnwr range

i get that it would be helpful in terms of marketing
maybe i should give ad comms the benefit of the doubt
but it also kind of reminds me of:

"your numbers are below medians? apply anyways, we have a holistic admissions process that accounts for your life experience"
this is probably the truth to some extent, which is why ad comms can say it
but, conveniently, it also serves to improve a school's offer rate
ad comms must be aware of this fact; though it's impossible to say whether it's a motivating factor for any given school

"we consider multiple lsat scores"
"here is our admitted student profile [class profile hidden away at the bottom of the page]"
"we look carefully at your ug coursework"
this all seems like good insight into the school's admissions process, i'm sure they are in fact considering all of this
but, conveniently, it also serves to increase students' perceived value of their acceptance

so i guess what i'm saying is, i think it may be helpful to look beyond what ad comms say publicly
b/c (a) i think certain things ad comms do serve a specific purpose, but have some pretty clear additional benefits beyond the scope of that purpose
and (b) i'm skeptical that the standards certain schools have are indicative of the standards at all law schools

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:25 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:Then I erased that and just listed in numerical order the schools I am thinking of applying to in the order in which I think I might be accepted.l

I listed mine in alphabetical order so as to avoid any school potentially reading the list as an order of preference. I'm sure it doesn't matter that much but I thought I would let people know in case they wanted some ideas of how to list the schools.

Postby 03152016 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:51 pm

if you'll humor me, i thought of a few other reasons why it could be valuable to know what schools someone has applied to

earlier i mentioned establishing regional interests and determining whether an applicant is just blanketing a certain range

in addition: a school could determine whether it was an applicant's safety
which would seem to weigh against the probability of the applicant attending, especially for schools who give limited financial aid

another one: the school knows what the pool of applicants looks like and the applicant doesn't, it's inherently information asymmetric
but knowing what other schools the applicant applied to gives the school the added advantage of knowing that the student believes her chances to be
if the school is more highly regarded than most of the schools a student listed, it would seem to indicate that the student believes it to be a reach school, which weighs for the likelihood of her attending

Postby 03152016 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:10 pm

acceptance rate is weighted around a quarter of what ugpa is in calculating usnwr rankings
and i think it's widely accepted that rankings have the effect of pushing lsat/ugpa to the fore in ls admissions

overall it makes up a full 10% of the entire selectivity measurement, which is the only metric an applicant can control w/r/t rankings

acceptance rate is weighted more heavily than bar pass, financial aid, and library resources

so it seems to me like acceptance rate/yield is something of non-negligible importance
and it just so happens that schools ask a question that speaks directly to it

:adjusts tin foil hat:

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:23 pm

Whatever you say, brut.

Postby 03152016 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:35 pm

idk, it seems like just another one of the countless things that gets repeated over and over because ad comms say it's true despite it not really making any sense

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:48 pm

Well, I repeat it because I know it's also the case at the undergraduate level, where schools are just as concerned with getting people to apply and being able to boast about their yield, and I think there's a limit to the amount of scheming that goes into creating an application.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:51 pm

It is data for their benefit. Think when a company asks you for a survey about how you heard about them, hell they even give free stuff for taking a survey. Lol there is no harm in saying you are not applying to any other schools. This does not deserve analysis. Christ

Postby 03152016 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:06 am

@nony

i believe the marketing argument and all, i don't question that it's used in that way
i was just saying that there's such a strong incentive for the schools to use the information in an additional way, a way that's so advantageous to the school, that it's hard for me to imagine there's only a single motive
like when ad comms say "don't pay attention to the 'numbers', we're really looking for interesting, well-rounded people with strong writing skills, you can use the personal statement to show that off"
which is something a cardozo ad comm actually said to my old roomie, a non-urm trad applicant with a below median gpa and an lsat 11 points below median
like, i do believe that's the reason the ps is there
but it's hard to imagine there's not another motive

Postby 03152016 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:10 am

alaird21 wrote:It is data for their benefit. Think when a company asks you for a survey about how you heard about them, hell they even give free stuff for taking a survey. Lol there is no harm in saying you are not applying to any other schools. This does not deserve analysis. Christ

i can tell you will do very well on issue spotters

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:10 am

We are talking fordham here. Notorious for not giving out scholly's bc they know their location is so attractive that biglaw wannbes will flock to it regardless. It is one of the most predatory business modeled law school out there. Beside Cooley and similar ones of course

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:13 am

I think so to. Being able to recognize when to use analysis and when not to is a good time saver.

Postby 03152016 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:16 am

i don't think you understand how badly you're being wooshed by this whole discussion
it's cute you're trying to participate tho

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”