What's the purpose of masking your identity on LSN? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Kimikho

Gold

Re: What's the purpose of masking your identity on LSN?

Post by Kimikho » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:14 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
Seoulless wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
Seoulless wrote:What's the purpose of masking your identity on LSN? As long as you aren't inappropriate or giving interview questions, why would Adcoms care?

I'm not saying one should put their social security number on there; I'm just referring to the things they ask you to fill in.
Admissions Officers talk a good deal about TLS. At a recent admissions conference, I heard an AdComm say that he was able to uncover about 10% of his applicant pool from TLS.

What if you are telling a school they are your top choice, but talking on here about how you are undecided, or some other school is the apple of your eye? That happens quite frequently. What if you say something here as a joke that an admissions officer takes the wrong way? Also happens.

There are a ton of reasons but I see zero reason to risk it, unless you want to try to beat them at their own game and make an account that gushes and fawns about one school in hope that said school notices you...
Hey Mike -

My concern is just with providing pure data on LSN. No comments about how you feel about a school, how your interview was, etc..

So the only information cataloged is GPA, LSAT Score, your decision timeline (sent date, complete date, decision date) and scholarship information.

You can also put your city and undergraduate institution.

Why would that irk a school?
It wouldn't/ But they would easily figure out who you are and one of your 1207 posts might. You'd be surprised what irritates people. These posts in this thread might.
So...do they have accounts? You can only look at someone's past posts that way.
And if they have accounts, do adcoms read the lounge? I've always assumed the just had someone monitor the individual school-related threads.

whitespider

Silver

Post by whitespider » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:22 pm

Meh, I think it could work as an advantage or detriment depending on the circumstance.

If you conduct yourself well and are vocally targeting specific schools, I think you could curate the kind of persona that could give you a slight edge in the process.

If you conduct yourself poorly, apply to tons of schools and talk about how you're actively trying to mislead adcoms, then you could definitely be sabotaging yourself.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:00 pm

whitespider wrote:Meh, I think it could work as an advantage or detriment depending on the circumstance.

If you conduct yourself well and are vocally targeting specific schools, I think you could curate the kind of persona that could give you a slight edge in the process.

If you conduct yourself poorly, apply to tons of schools and talk about how you're actively trying to mislead adcoms, then you could definitely be sabotaging yourself.
TLS boost confirmed

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”