What's the purpose of masking your identity on LSN? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BillsFan9907

Silver

What's the purpose of masking your identity on LSN?

Post by BillsFan9907 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:25 am

What's the purpose of masking your identity on LSN? As long as you aren't inappropriate or giving interview questions, why would Adcoms care?

I'm not saying one should put their social security number on there; I'm just referring to the things they ask you to fill in.

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Re: What's the purpose of masking your identity on LSN?

Post by Ron Don Volante » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:31 am

scholarship process

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:34 am

Ron Don Volante wrote:scholarship process
Wouldn't there be two sides to that? If you are getting hit with schollys, then it's a good thing that other schools know, no?

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:39 am

Seoulless wrote:What's the purpose of masking your identity on LSN? As long as you aren't inappropriate or giving interview questions, why would Adcoms care?

I'm not saying one should put their social security number on there; I'm just referring to the things they ask you to fill in.
Admissions Officers talk a good deal about TLS. At a recent admissions conference, I heard an AdComm say that he was able to uncover about 10% of his applicant pool from TLS.

What if you are telling a school they are your top choice, but talking on here about how you are undecided, or some other school is the apple of your eye? That happens quite frequently. What if you say something here as a joke that an admissions officer takes the wrong way? Also happens.

There are a ton of reasons but I see zero reason to risk it, unless you want to try to beat them at their own game and make an account that gushes and fawns about one school in hope that said school notices you...

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:40 am

Seoulless wrote:
Wouldn't there be two sides to that? If you are getting hit with schollys, then it's a good thing that other schools know, no?
no?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:46 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
Seoulless wrote:What's the purpose of masking your identity on LSN? As long as you aren't inappropriate or giving interview questions, why would Adcoms care?

Admissions Officers talk a good deal about TLS. At a recent admissions conference, I heard an AdComm say that he was able to uncover about 10% of his applicant pool from TLS.

What if you are telling a school they are your top choice, but talking on here about how you are undecided, or some other school is the apple of your eye? That happens quite frequently. What if you say something here as a joke that an admissions officer takes the wrong way? Also happens.

There are a ton of reasons but I see zero reason to risk it, unless you want to try to beat them at their own game and make an account that gushes and fawns about one school in hope that said school notices you...
Hey Mike -

My concern is just with providing pure data on LSN. No comments about how you feel about a school, how your interview was, etc..

So the only information cataloged is GPA, LSAT Score, your decision timeline (sent date, complete date, decision date) and scholarship information.

You can also put your city and undergraduate institution.

Why would that irk a school?

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:47 am

Ron Don Volante wrote:
Seoulless wrote:
no?
I don't understand then, explain. If you've been awarded a Ruby, how will that negatively impact Columbia in terms of whether or not to give you a Hamilton?

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:54 am

Seoulless wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

Hey Mike -

My concern is just with providing pure data on LSN. No comments about how you feel about a school, how your interview was, etc..

So the only information cataloged is GPA, LSAT Score, your decision timeline (sent date, complete date, decision date) and scholarship information.

You can also put your city and undergraduate institution.

Why would that irk a school?
It wouldn't/ But they would easily figure out who you are and one of your 1207 posts might. You'd be surprised what irritates people. These posts in this thread might.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:59 am

I know 100% of the identities of adcomms. Who is your god now, Sherlock?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:03 am

bjsesq wrote:I know 100% of the identities of adcomms. Who is your god now, Sherlock?
Now I am certain this thread is irritating them.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:04 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
bjsesq wrote:I know 100% of the identities of adcomms. Who is your god now, Sherlock?
Now I am certain this thread is irritating them.
:lol:

Never change, Spivey.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:05 am

Hi Mr. Spivey, my name is David. Surely, while I would admit hiding oneself while posting some of the comments I have seen in this board would be smart for the user, do you not think it would be better for all parties involved if one was open about who they are and just refrained from posting the stupid or illegal things we're talking about?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:11 am

Thank you Cpt. Killjoy for asking the question everyone already knows the answer to.

*farts in wine glass*
*breeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeathes*
*discusses tannins*

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:13 am

bjsesq wrote:Thank you Cpt. Killjoy for asking the question everyone already knows the answer to.

*farts in wine glass*
*breeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeathes*
*discusses tannins*
I aim to please.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:17 am

Casually posting things like "softs don't matter" probably irks some admissions officers. People also say they want to do PI in their apps, but might seem ambivalent about elk rights or whatever on the forums. Could be anything.

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:04 pm

[quote="RCSOB657"]Hi Mr. Spivey, my name is David. Surely, while I would admit hiding oneself while posting some of the comments I have seen in this board would be smart for the user, do you not think it would be better for all parties involved if one was open about who they are and just refrained from posting the stupid or illegal things we're talking about?[/quote]

I think so, yes. But you might want to take this up with our Creator. Or evolution. or Mumra.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:16 pm

Wherever posts exist, Mumm-ra lives.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:25 pm

hey big D do you open carry at admissions interviews?

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:40 pm

fats provolone wrote:hey big D do you open carry at admissions interviews?
Yeah, that cammo fatigues, and a big chaw.

wth is wrong with you?

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:44 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:

wth is wrong with you?
why would you go to a law school that would ding you for open carrying anyway?

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:50 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:

wth is wrong with you?
wearing camo to an interview flies in the face of the social understanding we all share. it's offensive and ridiculous.

open carrying is a god-given constitutional right and i'm offended that you would equate the two.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:52 pm

Equating clothing with the second amendment. Unbelievable. I'll stand alongside duck against your hatred of freedom.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:59 pm

bjsesq wrote:Equating clothing with the second amendment. Unbelievable. I'll stand alongside duck against your hatred of freedom.

That actually is a funny 180.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:57 pm

So am I the only one paranoid that people with only a few posts who PM me for stats are actually admissions office staff trying to figure out who I am?

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:04 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:So am I the only one paranoid that people with only a few posts who PM me for stats are actually admissions office staff trying to figure out who I am?
yes, but only because we already know who you are, Steven.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”