Do I tell schools I'm retaking?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
af0890

Do I tell schools I'm retaking?

Postby af0890 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:31 pm

So I caved and signed up to retake in February...after I already submitted my applications and told schools I wasn't planning on retaking. Do I email them to tell them, or can they automatically see I'm registered? What about for schools who don't accept the February cycle? My score now is good enough to get me in anywhere but my very top choices. I'm doing it to get more scholarship money/potentially get of WL's that I anticipate being on, but there's a chance I could be rejected before scores come in. Any advice much appreciated.

Rigo

Re: Do I tell schools I'm retaking?

Postby Rigo » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:29 pm

They'll be able to see you're retaking if they check. I wouldn't tell schools you'll likely get into with your current score. It might be worth it to tell your reach schools if you're a likely reject so they hold your application and make a decision based off your new score.

Also, February scores always matter & it will definitely be a useful scholarship negotiation tool if you score higher.

af0890

Postby af0890 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:56 pm

Great advice, thank you. My only concern is that other schools will see I'm retaking and hold my app until the very end of the cycle, when I could be screwed if I don't score higher. Will they do that if I don't tell them to?

Life2good893

Postby Life2good893 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:21 pm

I informed all my schools via email to please go ahead with review of my application before the scores are released. Glad I did because 2 schools were holding my application until the scores came out. One school agreed to mark the file complete while another said that it is not their policy to do so and they won't be reviewing my application until March. Some schools thanked me for updating them and others said "you indicated that we shouldn't wait for future LSAT scores on your application; ergo we won't." (translation: your email was unnecessary).

I would email with your preferred action plan just to be safe.

buyorsell912

Postby buyorsell912 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:09 am

Life2good893 wrote:I informed all my schools via email to please go ahead with review of my application before the scores are released. Glad I did because 2 schools were holding my application until the scores came out. One school agreed to mark the file complete while another said that it is not their policy to do so and they won't be reviewing my application until March. Some schools thanked me for updating them and others said "you indicated that we shouldn't wait for future LSAT scores on your application; ergo we won't." (translation: your email was unnecessary).

Mind sharing which two schools those were? I wasn't aware of that practice. Thanks!

Life2good893

Postby Life2good893 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:45 pm

buyorsell912 wrote:
Life2good893 wrote:I informed all my schools via email to please go ahead with review of my application before the scores are released. Glad I did because 2 schools were holding my application until the scores came out. One school agreed to mark the file complete while another said that it is not their policy to do so and they won't be reviewing my application until March. Some schools thanked me for updating them and others said "you indicated that we shouldn't wait for future LSAT scores on your application; ergo we won't." (translation: your email was unnecessary).

Mind sharing which two schools those were? I wasn't aware of that practice. Thanks!

PM'd

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”