Much higher last 4 semesters, how much will it help?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
prelawTN

Much higher last 4 semesters, how much will it help?

Postby prelawTN » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:26 am

My first 4 semesters went awful. I suffered from depression through lots of it over personal issues (I know I can't go into that with law school admissions because they'll worry I won't be able to handle law school but I'm more than confident it's behind me) and took 2 years off because I felt I needed a break from it all. Long story short, I'll finish with about a 2.9, with a GPA over my last 4 semesters closer to a 3.25-3.5 in a higher volume of hours than I took my first two years. I know they'll likely weight my last 4 semesters higher than my first 4 but does anyone have any somewhat concrete idea in how much more? For instance, on say a site like mylsn, could I go as far as to search numbers at what I have my last 4 semesters? An average of that and my final GPA (thus, weighting the final 4 more)? Any input would welcomed. If at all it matters, my LSAT was in the mid-170's and I plan to attend in the South or DC area (not that I'd tell Harvard, Columbia, or Chicago no ha, but the West Coast is way too far away from my family and I'd never live there after graduation).

Bigfish41

Re: Much higher last 4 semesters, how much will it help?

Postby Bigfish41 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:44 am

Your final GPA is all that matters, but an upward trend is obviously going to shed some positive light on your app. It's better than having a downward trend, other than that it's not going to have a huge impact.

You should consider NU, UVA, NYU maybe? From what I've heard on this site those schools tend to be splitter friendly (low GPA, high LSAt).

Bigfish41

Postby Bigfish41 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:47 am

Say for instance someone with your LSAt score and same GPA has a downward trend and yours is the opposite, I would think that law schools would favor yours.

prelawTN

Postby prelawTN » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:05 am

Bigfish41 wrote:Your final GPA is all that matters, but an upward trend is obviously going to shed some positive light on your app. It's better than having a downward trend, other than that it's not going to have a huge impact.

You should consider NU, UVA, NYU maybe? From what I've heard on this site those schools tend to be splitter friendly (low GPA, high LSAt).

That's what I would assume about the GPA as well, unfortunately.

I will likely apply to everywhere from Yale through Notre Dame, save the West Coast and Minnesota, and likely Georgia and Tennessee as well and largely base my final decision on how the money stacks up. For instance, I'd attend Georgia with money over T14 at sticker. I'm from a middle class family that won't be helping me with the costs of my education and the idea of being $250,000 in debt a few years from now terrifies me haha. I'd go Memphis before I go to T14 at sticker unless it was Harvard or Yale to be honest.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:00 am

Ok well tbh with a 2.9 applying to HYSCC is a waste of money

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:57 am

scottidsntknow wrote:Ok well tbh with a 2.9 applying to HYSCC is a waste of money

This. The positive trend is good, but it's not going to somehow cancel the first two years. You'll be treated more or less as a 2.9. A bunch of schools are out of the question, and would be even if you had a 180. You have a decent shot at NU, as they're friendly to splitters as far as admissions go, but I'm not sure if they are generous to splitters with money.

Good on you for not going at sticker, btw.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”