LOR Problem!! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
saddie123

New

LOR Problem!!

Post by saddie123 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:45 pm

Hey guys,
The situation here is a bit complicated. I will try to explain it in a way that makes sense.

I'm a reapplicant. Last cycle, I had a bunch of waitlists and dings. I submitted only two LORs last cycle during initial application. Late in the cycle (March), I decided that two LORs may be too risky as I had not heard back from lots of schools. So I asked some others professors to write some new LORs, and I assigned those LORs to schools BEFORE I received those LORs.

However, I did not receive those letters until Late August and I've totally forgot that I assigned letters to schools. So I just found out today that during Sep LSAC updated all those new LORs to those schools that had already dinged me. :(

I found this out because some schools specifically required reapplicants to submit new LORs, and because LSAC updated my new LORs in my last application, those LORs became old ones. Although those schools have dinged me back in April, it's pretty clear they keep everything they received on file even after their decision is made. :(((((

I don't think I can get any new LORs any more coz it's pretty late and I've already had four LORs and can't think of anybody else to write a new one for me.

What should I do? Should I write to those schools asking if they could treat those LORs as new ones since they were sent after the decisions were made? Would this hurt my chance in getting into those schools?

Do adcoms still read and potentially evaluate LORs if they were received after the applicant got dinged?

What about schools that do not require new LORs? Would updating LORs after getting dinged also give me a bad image?

Thank you!!!
Last edited by saddie123 on Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BillsFan9907

Silver

Re: Freaking Out: LOR Mistake!

Post by BillsFan9907 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:59 pm

saddie123 wrote:Hey guys,
The situation here is a bit complicated. I will try to explain it in a way that makes sense.
I'm a reapplicant. Last cycle, I had a bunch of waitlists and dings. I submitted only two LORs last cycle during initial application. Late in the cycle (March), I decided that two LORs may be too risky as I had not heard back from lots of schools. So I asked some others professors to write some new LORs, and I assigned those LORs to schools BEFORE I received those LORs.
However, I did not receive those letters until Late August and I've totally forgot that I assigned letters to schools. So I just found out today that during Sep LSAC updated all those new LORs to those schools that had already dinged me. :(
I found this out because some schools specifically required reapplicants to submit new LORs, and because LSAC updated my new LORs in my last application, those LORs became old ones. Although those schools have dinged me back in April, it's pretty clear they keep everything they received on file even after their decision is made. :(((((
I don't think I can get any new LORs any more coz it's pretty late and I've already had four LORs and can't think of anybody else to write a new one for me.
What should I do? Should I write to those schools asking if they could treat those LORs as new ones since they were sent after the decisions were made? Would this hurt my chance in getting into those schools?
Do adcoms still read and potentially evaluate LORs if they were received after the applicant got dinged?
Thank you!
No, but your neurosis and lack of paragraph utilization might :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

saddie123

New

Post by saddie123 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:07 pm

Seoulless wrote:
No, but your neurosis and lack of paragraph utilization might :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Guess it's more readable now...

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:08 pm

What are your numbers?

saddie123

New

Post by saddie123 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:10 pm

Kratos wrote:What are your numbers?
173+3.7 from public state u

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Re: LOR Problem!!

Post by Rigo » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:25 pm

Contact the schools in question and succinctly explain the mixup. I'm sure you'll be fine. They're not going to turn away a 173/3.7x over something so trivial.

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:01 pm

He was already dinged when the letters were sent!!!!! The LORs were sent in September! That's a full cycle from last cycle. For all intents and purposes, these are new letters.

I seriously would not bother contacting the schools. The subsequent recs had zero impact on your cycle. They were not considered in your initial read.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:06 pm

Seoulless wrote:He was already dinged when the letters were sent!!!!! The LORs were sent in September! That's a full cycle from last cycle. For all intents and purposes, these are new letters.

I seriously would not bother contacting the schools. The subsequent recs had zero impact on your cycle. They were not considered in your initial read.
I guess I assumed there was some sort of stated problem.
If OP is just being a worrywart and the schools haven't complained about the LOR's, then definitely don't sweat it and don't address the issue.

saddie123

New

Post by saddie123 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:45 pm

Dirigo wrote:
Seoulless wrote:He was already dinged when the letters were sent!!!!! The LORs were sent in September! That's a full cycle from last cycle. For all intents and purposes, these are new letters.

If OP is just being a worrywart and the schools haven't complained about the LOR's, then definitely don't sweat it and don't address the issue.
One school complained about it today... I guess I need to write an email explaining about it. Thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:21 am

saddie123 wrote: One school complained about it today... I guess I need to write an email explaining about it. Thank you!
Are you serious? Was it a T-14 school? If not, how far down the rankings?

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:22 am

saddie123 wrote:
Dirigo wrote:

One school complained about it today... I guess I need to write an email explaining about it. Thank you!
Did they "complain" or just ask for clarification? Big difference. Also if the former, fuck whoever complained.

saddie123

New

Post by saddie123 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:08 am

Kratos wrote: Did they "complain" or just ask for clarification? Big difference. Also if the former, fuck whoever complained.
The thing is like: My application status has been incomplete for weeks, so I emailed the adcoms and asked if there's anything missing. They emailed back, saying that their policy is like reapplicants need to submit a new LOR, so they will not review my file until they get one.
So it seems pretty serious...

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:21 am

Was this a t-14 school? T-20? Which?

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:51 pm

saddie123 wrote:
Kratos wrote: Did they "complain" or just ask for clarification? Big difference. Also if the former, fuck whoever complained.
The thing is like: My application status has been incomplete for weeks, so I emailed the adcoms and asked if there's anything missing. They emailed back, saying that their policy is like reapplicants need to submit a new LOR, so they will not review my file until they get one.
So it seems pretty serious...
No its not haha. Just e-mail them back and explain the issue lol. Also, thats not a complaint.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”