Weighing my options, if I am put in such a position Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lschoolprep

New

Weighing my options, if I am put in such a position

Post by Lschoolprep » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:12 am

What would you do, Full ride at a low tiered school/something close to it or take sticker or little aid at a top tiered school?

I ask, because considering the market (what I've read and heard from others) the job prospects compiled with the debt seems daunting no matter how eager I am to attend law school.

I realize that debt is a part of life, but a monstrous debt like $70k compiled with my undergraduate debt leaves me 100k under the hole, isn't that rather scary?

I don't think the potential reward (160k) is worth the debt. As with that salary, it would still take me years to pay it off.

Now here is what I'm thinking, if I go to a lowered tiered school with multiple scholarships and low to no debt, I might not get the best job or a job right away, but I'm not chased and driven crazy by loans.

I seek the wisdom of TLS.

sublime

Diamond

Re: Weighing my options, if I am put in such a position

Post by sublime » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:13 am

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:19 am

Lschoolprep wrote:What would you do, Full ride at a low tiered school/something close to it or take sticker or little aid at a top tiered school?

I ask, because considering the market (what I've read and heard from others) the job prospects compiled with the debt seems daunting no matter how eager I am to attend law school.

I realize that debt is a part of life, but a monstrous debt like $70k compiled with my undergraduate debt leaves me 100k under the hole, isn't that rather scary?

I don't think the potential reward (160k) is worth the debt. As with that salary, it would still take me years to pay it off.

Now here is what I'm thinking, if I go to a lowered tiered school with multiple scholarships and low to no debt, I might not get the best job or a job right away, but I'm not chased and driven crazy by loans.

The bolded is a good debt outcome from law school. You probably shouldn't go to law school, cause sublime is right that at minimum you're gonna be in like 50-60k, unless you have someone paying your living expenses.

Lschoolprep

New

Post by Lschoolprep » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:21 am

sublime wrote:Even with a full scholly somewhere, you will probably take on 50kish, depending on the area.
Please elaborate on the 50k estimate. If I have a full ride, why have I compiled a debt this large? It can't be cost of living, if so, I won't need it depending on the area. If it is cost of living you are referring to, isn't that estimate a little over the top?

Thanks for replying.
Last edited by Lschoolprep on Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:21 am

Lschoolprep wrote:What would you do, Full ride at a low tiered school/something close to it or take sticker or little aid at a top tiered school?

Law is rarely a bootstraps type of job, which is a major flaw in this plan. You're sitting with $30k in debt from UG, and this will grow considerably unless you find completely free education (including COL) throughout law school.

Focus on minimizing debt while maximizing your chances of getting the job you actually you want. If you haven't defined that part, then take time off to figure out exactly what it is you want to do and work in the meantime getting rid of your debt.

You're pretty obviously gung-ho about getting to law school and continuing your education, but you haven't asked yourself the basic questions.

1. Why am I going to law school? What job am I angling to get?
2. Is this the right time to do it?
3. Am I qualified to accomplish the goals I've established for my career? What else do I need to get there?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hopefulsplitter93

Silver

Post by hopefulsplitter93 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:26 am

50K over 3 years is by no means an over the top estimate. That's less than 1400 a month.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:26 am

Lschoolprep

New

Post by Lschoolprep » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:31 am

Ramius wrote:

Law is rarely a bootstraps type of job, which is a major flaw in this plan. You're sitting with $30k in debt from UG, and this will grow considerably unless you find completely free education (including COL) throughout law school.

Focus on minimizing debt while maximizing your chances of getting the job you actually you want. If you haven't defined that part, then take time off to figure out exactly what it is you want to do and work in the meantime getting rid of your debt.

You're pretty obviously gung-ho about getting to law school and continuing your education, but you haven't asked yourself the basic questions.

1. Why am I going to law school? What job am I angling to get?
2. Is this the right time to do it?
3. Am I qualified to accomplish the goals I've established for my career? What else do I need to get there?
Thanks for your response.

I have asked myself these questions. How I feel now (whether my I'm right or wrong; the future will tell all, lol) is that I should explore this career path now. I know that I am qualified etc, but then again what I know now, may not be accurate as time reveals everything.

Yes, I am trying to focus on minimizing debt, hence me weighing certain options, but I might not get the type of law job I want at first try no matter what law school I attend. HYS all guarantee, for the most part, high paying jobs, but there isn't a guarantee the high paying job is worth the debt, especially if I find myself in a field of law not parallel to my dreams. Yes, I may make 160k, but I am still crumpled by debt and thereby force to remain at a certain job not because of my passion for it,but because I am financially shackled to it!

Whereas, if I do attend a lower tiered school, my job options are lowered, but my debt is almost non existent. I am more at liberty to chose a job not based on salary, but what I feel most called to do.

I hope I conveyed my point. I can be a little scrambled with words over the internet.

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:36 am

Your lack of transparency about what you want to do is becoming troublesome. What is it you want to do in law? I have a strong feeling your dreams far exceed what any law student could reasonably expect straight out of law school, so instead you're thinking you can work your way to doing things like trying human injustices at the ICJ or something after snagging a rural PD job and building from there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:38 am

Don't go to law school until you understand money, paying for living expenses, etc. It's a big decision to make and you're not in a position to make it yet.

Lschoolprep

New

Post by Lschoolprep » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:39 am

sublime wrote:
Lschoolprep wrote:
sublime wrote:Even with a full scholly somewhere, you will probably take on 50kish, depending on the area.
Please elaborate on the 50k estimate. If I have a full ride, why have I compiled a debt this large? It can't be cost of living, if so, I won't need it depending on the area. I it is cost of living you are referring to, isn't that estimate a little over the top?

Thanks for replying.
Yea, CoL.

Unless you have somebody paying for it or are living at home, not over the top.

Also, shit like tuition increases will add 5k or so to it.

How frugally can you live for 3 years, plus books and shit, plus possibly while studying for the bar, plus possibly a bar course (which if you go to a TTT you have less a likelihood of having a firm pay for), plus time to live while you find a job.

Even without the tuition, law school is an expensive endeavor.
Honestly, I never thought of COL being this high, as I never had to think about it. I currently don't even pay rent, so I am a little naive. Please forgive me for that.

I can live very frugal, but this could be all talk, as I don't even live paycheck by paycheck and only recently cut back on shopping and the like.

I never even thought of how much it cost to take the bar. :( I guess since I haven't even gotten into law school, the bar is one thing not on my mind, as of yet.

As for tuition increase, wouldn't the scholarships be adjusted to make up for that?

As it stands, COL is not a problem, unless I go outside of the tri-state area, which is likely, as I would love to see something new. If this is the case,I hope to have enough money saved up to pay for COL for at least a year, after that I need a loan or two lol.

Thanks for responding! :)

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:42 am

Lschoolprep wrote:
sublime wrote:
Lschoolprep wrote:
Please elaborate on the 50k estimate. If I have a full ride, why have I compiled a debt this large? It can't be cost of living, if so, I won't need it depending on the area. I it is cost of living you are referring to, isn't that estimate a little over the top?

Thanks for replying.
Yea, CoL.

How frugally can you live for 3 years, plus books and shit, plus possibly while studying for the bar, plus possibly a bar course (which if you go to a TTT you have less a likelihood of having a firm pay for), plus time to live while you find a job.

Honestly, I never thought of COL being this high, as I never had to think about it. I currently don't even pay rent, so I am a little naive. Please forgive me for that.

I can live very frugal, but this could be all talk, as I don't even live paycheck by paycheck and only recently cut back on shopping and the like.

I never even thought of how much it cost to take the bar. :( I guess since I haven't even gotten into law school, the bar is one thing not on my mind, as of yet.

As for tuition increase, wouldn't the scholarships be adjusted to make up for that?

As it stands, COL is not a problem, unless I go outside of the tri-state area, which is likely, as I would love to see something new. If this is the case,I hope to have enough money saved up to pay for COL for at least a year, after that I need a loan or two lol.

I'm calling troll. But if not, maybe you should like live on your own and learn how to be an actual adult before going to law school.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:43 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:44 am

Lschoolprep wrote:
sublime wrote:
Lschoolprep wrote:

Thanks for replying.
Yea, CoL.

Your naivete is well documented now, and as Zuck said, you need to figure this out before you do anything else. Figure out money, living as an adult, paying for your own expenses, and realize just how expensive this can be and what living off of loans can feel like as it amortizes while you think nothing of it. You only took out $20k for living expenses for 1L? Enjoy paying $35k for that.

You have to learn about the real world and personal finances before you haphazardly approach this. You're not ready, and that's not a good thing.

Lschoolprep

New

Post by Lschoolprep » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:53 am

[
Lschoolprep wrote:
sublime wrote:
Lschoolprep wrote:

Thanks for replying.
Yea, CoL.

Your naivete is well documented now, and as Zuck said, you need to figure this out before you do anything else. Figure out money, living as an adult, paying for your own expenses, and realize just how expensive this can be and what living off of loans can feel like as it amortizes while you think nothing of it. You only took out $20k for living expenses for 1L? Enjoy paying $35k for that.

You have to learn about the real world and personal finances before you haphazardly approach this. You're not ready, and that's not a good thing.[/quote]

I wish I can multi quote, but I haven't figured that out yet.

Anyway, I know about finances, I just so happen to not pay rent, because in nyc my job doesn't pay enough for me to survive in manhattan. I am fortunate to have a family willing to take that burden from me. However, I am responsible for my other finances such as my student loans, credit card bills and managing my money so I can still manage to save. I even acquired a second job to help me achieve this goal.

I live off with the burden of my student loans already. I'm sure most know what that feels like.

I am so aware that there is a serious financial struggle that comes with wanting to become a lawyer that I raise the question: does it pan out, in the end, to go to a lesser tiered school? A more bank for your buck type of thought process.

My nativity lies solely in the fact on how scholarships work and how massive the actual law school debt stands for most lawyers.

Thank you for responding!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:40 am

I disagree, you clearly don't know how money works beyond just paying for rent

The question you're posing is very broad and hypothetical, to the point of being pointless, IMO. I mean, it's a really important question and one that TLS has grappled with for thousands upon thousands of posts. But it's so situation/fact/individual person dependent that it can't really be answered based on what you have presented here. If you're interested in this conceptually just start reading through other people's choosing threads. If you have actual information to provide us- things like actual acceptances, scholarships, career goals, geographical preferences- then TLS can help you. But right now TLS can't help you.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:34 am

Lschoolprep wrote: I live off with the burden of my student loans already. I'm sure most know what that feels like.

I am so aware that there is a serious financial struggle that comes with wanting to become a lawyer that I raise the question: does it pan out, in the end, to go to a lesser tiered school? A more bank for your buck type of thought process.

My nativity lies solely in the fact on how scholarships work and how massive the actual law school debt stands for most lawyers.

First of all, living with 30k in loans is different than living with 100k in loans. At a certain point it goes from annoying to painful.

As to the "is it worth it to go to a lesser tiered school?" question, you're being way too vague, as Zuck said. Taking NY schools, is it worth it to go to to Cornell with a huge scholarship over Columbia at sticker? Almost certainly yes. Is it worth it to go to New York Law School with a full ride? No. Even for free some schools are dogshit.

You need to come back when you have A) goals you can articulate B) a sense of how adult finances work and C) actual offers and costs of attendance (including books, cost of living, fees, interest, etc). Right now your questions are so vague they're unanswerable.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:43 am

Um... LSAT/GPA?

Lschoolprep

New

Post by Lschoolprep » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:00 pm

BigZuck wrote:I disagree, you clearly don't know how money works beyond just paying for rent

The question you're posing is very broad and hypothetical, to the point of being pointless, IMO. I mean, it's a really important question and one that TLS has grappled with for thousands upon thousands of posts. But it's so situation/fact/individual person dependent that it can't really be answered based on what you have presented here. If you're interested in this conceptually just start reading through other people's choosing threads. If you have actual information to provide us- things like actual acceptances, scholarships, career goals, geographical preferences- then TLS can help you. But right now TLS can't help you.

Yes, I can definitely understand where you are coming from. I'll come back when I have actual information: acceptances, scholarships, etc.

Thank You. :)

Lschoolprep

New

Post by Lschoolprep » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:38 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Lschoolprep wrote: I live off with the burden of my student loans already. I'm sure most know what that feels like.

First of all, living with 30k in loans is different than living with 100k in loans. At a certain point it goes from annoying to painful.

As to the "is it worth it to go to a lesser tiered school?" question, you're being way too vague, as Zuck said. Taking NY schools, is it worth it to go to to Cornell with a huge scholarship over Columbia at sticker? Almost certainly yes. Is it worth it to go to New York Law School with a full ride? No. Even for free some schools are dogshit.

You need to come back when you have A) goals you can articulate B) a sense of how adult finances work and C) actual offers and costs of attendance (including books, cost of living, fees, interest, etc). Right now your questions are so vague they're unanswerable.
In bold: This is the type of hypothetical situation I was mulling over in my head. I'm not looking at New York Law school at ALL, but more on the lines if Brooklyn offered me full ride, choosing that over a school like Columbia at sticker.

Even though Brooklyn is such a low ranking school, I'd have JD at virtually no cost and because it's nyc I'll be able to network regardless.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”