How to incorporate misc. volunteer experience in application Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
spencercross

Bronze

How to incorporate misc. volunteer experience in application

Post by spencercross » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:18 pm

I'm applying to law school after many years of working as a graphic designer, and throughout my career I've made it a point to give time back to the design community and to help younger designers. I know the more concrete things I've done (e.g., "served on board of XYZ professional organization from year X to year Y") can be listed as line items on my resume, but I'm struggling a bit with how to incorporate the more random stuff. For example, I volunteer as a reviewer for a couple of different student portfolio reviews a few times a year, and twice a year I speak to a class at an art school about the practicalities of working as a designer and entrepreneurship. Are these even worth listing on my resume, or are they better addressed as part of my PS?

BillsFan9907

Silver

Re: How to incorporate misc. volunteer experience in application

Post by BillsFan9907 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:14 am

spencercross wrote:I'm applying to law school after many years of working as a graphic designer, and throughout my career I've made it a point to give time back to the design community and to help younger designers. I know the more concrete things I've done (e.g., "served on board of XYZ professional organization from year X to year Y") can be listed as line items on my resume, but I'm struggling a bit with how to incorporate the more random stuff. For example, I volunteer as a reviewer for a couple of different student portfolio reviews a few times a year, and twice a year I speak to a class at an art school about the practicalities of working as a designer and entrepreneurship. Are these even worth listing on my resume, or are they better addressed as part of my PS?
I put my volunteer work at the very bottom of my resume, where I also listed my artistic interests and language fluency. Are you a self-employed graphic designer? In that case, it would be appropriate to list the volunteer work under that header in your resume. Honestly, even if you work for someone else, I don't think it would be egregious in the least bit to place the volunteer work under your header as well.

spencercross

Bronze

Re: How to incorporate misc. volunteer experience in application

Post by spencercross » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:31 pm

Seoulless wrote:
spencercross wrote:I'm applying to law school after many years of working as a graphic designer, and throughout my career I've made it a point to give time back to the design community and to help younger designers. I know the more concrete things I've done (e.g., "served on board of XYZ professional organization from year X to year Y") can be listed as line items on my resume, but I'm struggling a bit with how to incorporate the more random stuff. For example, I volunteer as a reviewer for a couple of different student portfolio reviews a few times a year, and twice a year I speak to a class at an art school about the practicalities of working as a designer and entrepreneurship. Are these even worth listing on my resume, or are they better addressed as part of my PS?
I put my volunteer work at the very bottom of my resume, where I also listed my artistic interests and language fluency. Are you a self-employed graphic designer? In that case, it would be appropriate to list the volunteer work under that header in your resume. Honestly, even if you work for someone else, I don't think it would be egregious in the least bit to place the volunteer work under your header as well.
Thanks. Yeah, I'm self-employed, but I have a whole section of "Community & Volunteer Experience" that would probably be a better place for it. I think I was just getting a little thrown because the items I'm talking about are structurally different that the other items in that section (i.e., no title, don't need a description, etc.), but I guess I'm probably overthinking it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”